Bannan's vision

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Not seen yours mate

Did it have a picture?

It had a video and everything, with full poetic verse. Five pages long lets see if your picture can go that long.  Got loads and loads of pluses and its its been held up as how to create threads. 

Go take a look you will be ashamed of this feeble offering.

But yeah brilliant vision.  

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

would also help if he could take a corner , and improve on a pathetic average of 1 goal a season from attacking centre midfield ,those are the main reasons why he is in the championship and not premier league. if he was 3 inches taller ,scored 10-15 a season he would be playing for Liverpool or man city. at times he is part of the problem what makes us at times look a very poor team then on other days helps make us look a top 2 team. 

He’s been playing in a defensive midfield position most of his time here

and I mean the area of the field, not in terms of duties  

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

This is the moment Bannan saw the pass to Reach, the ball hadn't reached Borner yet, but Bannan could see the big picture

He knew Leeds were stretched, he knew the run that Reach would make if he could get the ball quickly

Not all midfield players have this vision, to some like Bannan, it comes easy, John Sheridan had this talent in abundance, and Bannan has it too

It's like a second sight, knowing where colleagues are going to be at any given moment

There's still an awful lot of work to be done when Bannan gets the ball, fortunately Reach has the quality to be in the right place and deliver the right pass,  and Nuhiu has the quality to deliver the shot

But it all started here, in the mind of Barry Bannan

Screenshot_20200115-175000_YouTube.thumb.jpg.2b04fe880f92758c575a31387abb84d4.jpg

Listen I  agree it was good vision, but Bannan and Sheridan are different - and quite so.   Bannan is about energy, speed and being on the front foot.   He does have a cultured foot but not on the same level as Sheridan.

Sheridan would never push up against defenders like Bannan does, he'd never chase the same - he essentially couldn't, I think his legs were buggered from being about 25.

Sheridan did the million dollar balls every game, and not once, not twice - maybe 30 times.   He knew when to hold it, when to pass it short, long of whatever and he had it all in his locker from whatever range.   Bannan is good like this, but Sheridan was a different level.   Sheridan threaded the ball through so easy so many times a game it just looked like it was a normal part of a midfielders game to me, but it wasn't.   I only learnt this wasn't normal after we lost his services.

In short, I think both players were great, but I don't think quite comparable with each other.

I prefer Bannan as an attacking midfielder and think he might have had a point to prove on Saturday. He's a very good player but there are many reasons he has not made the grade in the PL, many mentioned on here. Not anywhere near the level of Sheridan I'm afraid. Not often I feel sorry for young people, but I do feel for people like my lad who didn't have the opportunity to see him live. An outstanding footballer and my favourite ever Wednesday player. 

8 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

I prefer Bannan as an attacking midfielder and think he might have had a point to prove on Saturday. He's a very good player but there are many reasons he has not made the grade in the PL, many mentioned on here. Not anywhere near the level of Sheridan I'm afraid. Not often I feel sorry for young people, but I do feel for people like my lad who didn't have the opportunity to see him live. An outstanding footballer and my favourite ever Wednesday player. 

You see, this is not what I see.

Bannan is often said to not be able to play in a central two.   A lot of the time this is clear, sometimes it works.

We have often played three in midfield in recent times but with a holding midfielder like Hutchinson or Pelupessy, and Bannan more advanced - again sometimes this works and sometimes not.

The thing is with both those scenarios, what is also often mentioned is that Bannan drops so deep that he is not effective - and when alongside Pelupessy or Hutchinson then the midfield is disjointed and it doesn't work because naturally Hutchinson and Pelupessy sit deep also.

Fast forward and suddenly in a couple of games we have no holding midfielder in a midfield trio.   Luongo and Lee, with Bannan as the one to drop deep, and it just works.    Sure we lost a bit of bite, but did we really as the opponents had more to deal with because of Lee and Luongo so offered less going forwards - plus Bannan does like a good old long sliding tackle.  

Bannan still plays the game he wants to play, but we now have two players bombing on wanting the ball offensively, with Bannan all too willing to feed them.

Said it before and I will repeat it until the cows come home.    Bannan is that player who drops deep to make the pass further up the field, we've just only just come to actually play him where he wants to be on the pitch.   He's a regista, and nothing and no one is changing that.    He will never willingly (for long) ply his trade further up the pitch.

I think Monk has just realised what no other manager has when dealing with Bannan, that's all.

Edited by Salmonbones
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

Bannan isn’t an attacking centre midfielder he is a deep lying playmaker have not seen a single wednesday match over the last 3 years.

bannan is the player you build a team around instead of having him fit in to the team 

I dont miss a game , bannan isnt a defensive midfielder ,thats what hutchinson does , im comparing him to similar players at other clubs i know he isnt a box to box midfielder or who plays behind the front 2 ,but say comparing him to sheridan maybe is better ,sheridan used to score a few from midfield , this isnt a bannan basher i do rate him but there are lots of reasons why he is with us and not in higher league .in the system we have used at leeds and brighton he was suberb , over xmas in midfield 2 with hutch he was shocking but he wasnt the only one. All those wanting a front 2 on saturday understand it dont work with the strikers available at min or exposing bannan in a midfield 2. 

Just now, handworth52 said:

I dont miss a game , bannan isnt a defensive midfielder ,thats what hutchinson does , im comparing him to similar players at other clubs i know he isnt a box to box midfielder or who plays behind the front 2 ,but say comparing him to sheridan maybe is better ,sheridan used to score a few from midfield , this isnt a bannan basher i do rate him but there are lots of reasons why he is with us and not in higher league .in the system we have used at leeds and brighton he was suberb , over xmas in midfield 2 with hutch he was shocking but he wasnt the only one. All those wanting a front 2 on saturday understand it dont work with the strikers available at min or exposing bannan in a midfield 2. 

Playing deep doesn't make you defensive.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It had a video and everything, with full poetic verse. Five pages long lets see if your picture can go that long.  Got loads and loads of pluses and its its been held up as how to create threads. 

Go take a look you will be ashamed of this feeble offering.

But yeah brilliant vision.  

Life's too short for feeling ashamed, have no regrets, no negative thoughts

So come on then, show me where I can find your thread

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

You see, this is not what I see.

Bannan is often said to not be able to play in a central two.   A lot of the time this is clear, sometimes it works.

We have often played three in midfield in recent times but with a holding midfielder like Hutchinson or Pelupessy, and Bannan more advanced - again sometimes this works and sometimes not.

The thing is with both those scenarios, what is also often mentioned is that Bannan drops so deep that he is not effective - and when alongside Pelupessy or Hutchinson then the midfield is disjointed and it doesn't work because naturally Hutchinson and Pelupessy sit deep also.

Fast forward and suddenly in a couple of games we have no holding midfielder in a midfield trio.   Luongo and Lee, with Bannan as the one to drop deep, and it just works.    Sure we lost a bit of bite, but did we really as the opponents had more to deal with because of Lee and Luongo so offered less going forwards - plus Bannan does like a good old long sliding tackle.  

Bannan still plays the game he wants to play, but we now have two players bombing on wanting the ball offensively, with Bannan all too willing to feed them.

Said it before and I will repeat it until the cows come home.    Bannan is that player who drops deep to make the pass further up the field, we've just only just come to actually play him where he wants to be on the pitch.   He's a regista, and nothing and no one is changing that.    He will never willingly (for long) ply his trade further up the pitch.

I think Monk has just realised what no other manager has when dealing with Bannan, that's all.

This!!! 

I have said it so many times before in Bannan threads. I have no issue with Bannan playing from deep, but only if he has a box to box player either side of him. 

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

This is the moment Bannan saw the pass to Reach, the ball hadn't reached Borner yet, but Bannan could see the big picture

He knew Leeds were stretched, he knew the run that Reach would make if he could get the ball quickly

Not all midfield players have this vision, to some like Bannan, it comes easy, John Sheridan had this talent in abundance, and Bannan has it too

It's like a second sight, knowing where colleagues are going to be at any given moment

There's still an awful lot of work to be done when Bannan gets the ball, fortunately Reach has the quality to be in the right place and deliver the right pass,  and Nuhiu has the quality to deliver the shot

But it all started here, in the mind of Barry Bannan

Screenshot_20200115-175000_YouTube.thumb.jpg.2b04fe880f92758c575a31387abb84d4.jpg

Also, no way is Tom Lees taking that ball in that position  to give it to Bannan.

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

Agree with most of what you say, but all the games you watch you may have missed something. Bannan didn’t play in the excellent performance against Brighton. 

• Like 1

Comparing bannan to Sheridan is laughable 

Not even in the same league 

Sheridan playing in the top leagues and cup finals 

Bannan a playoff failure and premier league flop

Good championship player but some need to take their heads out of his ar5e

13 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

To give it a wobble ? 

On 15/01/2020 at 20:24, JOCOWl said:

I heard he was trying to roll it in to the corner to waste time and see out the game and Reach had to go and spoil it... 

Yeah didn't Reach do same at Charlton for Nuhiu's header? Won't listen to instructions that lad, was screaming at him to take it in to the corner. lol

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, WelshOwl74 said:

You really love this club don’t you ?

Vision and execution, didnt realise until watching a slower replay that he dinked it with backspin to reach for the assist so it didnt go out!

A truly magical pass at any level imo.

As he gets older he'll probably suit a 3 more and more, might help prevent injuries sitting deeper in a 3 due to less running up and down the flanks too.

Some great midfielders have kept playing for a long time in a deeper role, with strong runners around them to pick out or cover the ground.

This site is f00kin bonkers. 

The vast majority are incapable of accepting players for what they are and instead have to critique what they believe to be flaws in said players game. 

I honestly don't know how some of you make it through the day 

Edited by Ash76