10 year season tickets!

16 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

so this debate with me and you started as you saying I was exaggerating about the trouble we are in and over the past few points you have agreed with me that there is a very big chance he’s going to look after himself not us. 

so after pages of debating your actually agreeing it’s a perilous position to be at the hands of someone who has gambled and who is more than likely or a high probability chance that he’s  going to put his own interests of protecting himself and his finances rather than our club or fan base?

so to conclude once again no I don’t think I’m exaggerating  

On 16/01/2020 at 12:11, 2roland2 said:

well our fans seem to think not......

It’s  about time fans and the EFL and premier league did something baout it and stopped putting clubs at risk, I don’t give a throw how many people don’t agree or don’t like my views because all I’m concerned about is the club being here in 5/10/20/50 years. 

the problem is right there in the first 13 words of your comment. He can do what he likes. 
that’s what the efl and prem and uefa are supposed to stop , clubs being run into the ground, risks putting clubs out of business. Are the alarm bells not enough with Portsmouth? Darlington? Blackpool? Cove try? Bury? BOLTON? Macclesfield? 

the amount of support for our club running how it is now staggers me, it’s like our fans are still supporting it, making excuses for it. It’s staggers me tbh.

i have said it before and will say it again if our fans were sat in a burning inferno, no way out sat at a table with dynamite and drinking petrol we would sit their and still say “ it will be right” 

I do honestly swear that I believe that your post of 16/01/20 may have been 'exaggerated' in parts, in an attempt to help you identify one, I have highlighted one for you.

this corporate marketing position you hold, how much tea making and pencil sharpening does it involve?

Edited by dorian gray
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Indeed but the more people who take this offer up the more problems we will have season to season from lost revenue.

I agree but it will be that minimal it wont effect anything. Alot of people including myself already have a multi season ticket running. Not many if any have Chansiri tuna bucks kicking about to splash 5k on a season ticket.

6 hours ago, room0035 said:

Indeed but the more people who take this offer up the more problems we will have season to season from lost revenue.

Perhaps you can donate your profits from your forthcoming book towards the club... " How To Be A VIP in a box " celebrity status in easy steps lol

• Thanks 1

On 16/01/2020 at 17:05, londonowl said:

This is like the old T-Mobile deal for free minutes and texts before free minutes and text were a thing. They thought it was a great ruse to get all their customer locked into these contracts then when they became massively loss making, they couldn't get the customers out of them.

They were left contracted to provide a loss making service ad infinitum.

For all that's been said about this deal, it's a great deal for fans but an absolute shocker for the club that can do nothing but harm.

All it will do is bring some cash in that can't be offset against FFP from current ST holders who would be renewing anyway. There's no upside and the downside is that we are potentially selling people a lifetime season ticket for a few grand.

So what your saying is..a 15 year deal instead? That would be awesome...

Edited by keepitsteel89

On 15/01/2020 at 16:05, Groundhopping Owl said:

It's the latest "pioneering" initiative at the club - 10-year season tickets, where the 10 years only begins upon our promotion to the PL, so it could end up being valid for far longer.

Prices as follows: 

Kop - £4,550
North/Grandstand - £5,550
South Stand - £6,400

Enormous pitfall in my eyes is the fact that there's no finance options available - how many of us can genuinely stump up that much up front?

Thoughts?

I think it's a great idea. Some will go for this. I'm considering it.

• Haha 1

The problem is - we don’t have a plan.

the chairman’s aim is to get to the premier league - but he doesn’t have a plan.

so what he did was invest a lot of money into the playing squad to fulfil his aim - but it didn’t work - and now were a loss making club without a squad capable of fulfilling his initial aim and are outside the ffp rules.

so now the chairman is trying to come up with initiatives to forward sell our revenue to keep in the Ffp rules - but those options are running out - we’ve had taxis, drinks, season ticket offers, ground sale, ridiculous pay on the gate prices, daft corporate box prices , all just to keep us in the rules for the time being.

all that has been done instead of formulating a sustainable plan to improve the club.

we are in real danger of being a club unable to recruit, with points deducted and having already spent our gate receipts on an ageing unbalanced squad - and the only strategy is to come up with another front selling idea.

its an awful approach to running our club - and all people are bothered about is when we can spend some more money to permeate the problem.

a mess.

Not everyone will buy one of these though, it’s a huge outlay. Plus, the ground is half empty anyway.....so those few that do sign up will just mean returning customers for years to come. 

For the record, I’m signing up for it next week. 

The Chairman is firm on matchday prices and offers a decent discount on season tickets. Or alternatively he's firm on season ticket prices and has a pricing strategy that then promotes the ST by pairing it up with high matchday prices. Either way, he's signalling that the season ticket offers exceptional value for money compared to matchday prices.

The fans have been crying out for cheaper tickets and it's abundantly clear the chairman doesn't want to offer cheaper tickets... unless they're offset with a guarantee of commitment.

Elasticity of demand. We don't have much. Halving ticket prices for one off games doesn't double attendances so is counterproductive when the aim of the game is increasing revenue. Would attendances rocket if £20 a ticket was the norm? Possibly but our ground isn't big enough to justify it as we're at more than 50% capacity, you'll lose revenue. Would making tickets three quarter of current cost see attendances increase enough to offset any potential single ticket revenue loss? Probably not.

Also, the Chairman thinks we're one big, loyal family, all in this together. That's his belief. Cheap matchday tickets don't promote commitment to the cause. So he's trying to find another way of lowering the cost of watching Wednesday. He's going about it in a 'unique' way, if you can't afford £40 for a matchday ticket you certainly can't afford £4.5k on a long term ticket, but the latter does in the long term offer exceptional value for money.

£4.5k is a lot of money, obviously. But think of the cycle of other expenditure. New kitchen every 15 years? Set you back £5k. New car? £6k down. Holiday twice a year? £3k for a couple.

It's not just watching Wednesday that tests the purse strings. Life is expensive.

But... If people are really committed to something they'll find the money. I think the chairman is learning that football fans aren't quite as passionate as he thinks.

I've been 'priced out of Wednesday' for about 24 years - since I turned 16 and had to pay grown up prices. Prior to that I'd had a season ticket for 12 years. My parents could (just) afford to get me a season ticket but they couldn't justify it... So me and my Dad followed Wednesday from 'afar' and got an occasional football fix by going to Rotherham or Barnsley to watch lower League football for about a tenner each. We'd maybe go to five or six games a season.

I promised my Dad when I got a job I'd buy him a season ticket. 19 years on I still haven't. In the early years pricing was ok but quality on offer was awful (aside from some individual players), lately the quality has (generally) improved but the pricing is 'too high' in so much as I could afford it but not justify it.

The are two ways to offer high quality, winning football - 1) Chuck money at it to buy players who (on paper) are sufficient quality to do the job; 2) Ride some 'luck' alongside no little skill to pick up cheaper players who excel.

Due to P&S rules the former approach requires hefty buy in from fans. The latter doesn't. The Chairman asked the fans, in a rather clumsy way, which approach they wanted to take - do we want to continue with high prices and shop at Waitrose or sell our assets and start shopping at Aldi. The fans spoke, Waitrose it is. But we still need to tow the line - we're not allowed to shop at Waitrose because our salary isn't high enough, even though we've won the lottery and don't need a high salary to be able to afford Waitrose.

What an I going on about? I've no idea any more, I'm unwell and I can't sleep, maybe I'm slightly delirious...

Edited by Binky Griptite

9 hours ago, ka58 said:

The problem is - we don’t have a plan.

the chairman’s aim is to get to the premier league - but he doesn’t have a plan.

so what he did was invest a lot of money into the playing squad to fulfil his aim - but it didn’t work - and now were a loss making club without a squad capable of fulfilling his initial aim and are outside the ffp rules.

so now the chairman is trying to come up with initiatives to forward sell our revenue to keep in the Ffp rules - but those options are running out - we’ve had taxis, drinks, season ticket offers, ground sale, ridiculous pay on the gate prices, daft corporate box prices , all just to keep us in the rules for the time being.

all that has been done instead of formulating a sustainable plan to improve the club.

we are in real danger of being a club unable to recruit, with points deducted and having already spent our gate receipts on an ageing unbalanced squad - and the only strategy is to come up with another front selling idea.

its an awful approach to running our club - and all people are bothered about is when we can spend some more money to permeate the problem.

a mess.

Sums it up nicely.

Wait until the schemes get really crazy.

3 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

The Chairman is firm on matchday prices and offers a decent discount on season tickets. Or alternatively he's firm on season ticket prices and has a pricing strategy that then promotes the ST by pairing it up with high matchday prices. Either way, he's signalling that the season ticket offers exceptional value for money compared to matchday prices.

The fans have been crying out for cheaper tickets and it's abundantly clear the chairman doesn't want to offer cheaper tickets... unless they're offset with a guarantee of commitment.

Elasticity of demand. We don't have much. Halving ticket prices for one off games doesn't double attendances so is counterproductive when the aim of the game is increasing revenue. Would attendances rocket if £20 a ticket was the norm? Possibly but our ground isn't big enough to justify it as we're at more than 50% capacity, you'll lose revenue. Would making tickets three quarter of current cost see attendances increase enough to offset any potential single ticket revenue loss? Probably not.

Also, the Chairman thinks we're one big, loyal family, all in this together. That's his belief. Cheap matchday tickets don't promote commitment to the cause. So he's trying to find another way of lowering the cost of watching Wednesday. He's going about it in a 'unique' way, if you can't afford £40 for a matchday ticket you certainly can't afford £4.5k on a long term ticket, but the latter does in the long term offer exceptional value for money.

£4.5k is a lot of money, obviously. But think of the cycle of other expenditure. New kitchen every 15 years? Set you back £5k. New car? £6k down. Holiday twice a year? £3k for a couple.

It's not just watching Wednesday that tests the purse strings. Life is expensive.

But... If people are really committed to something they'll find the money. I think the chairman is learning that football fans aren't quite as passionate as he thinks.

I've been 'priced out of Wednesday' for about 24 years - since I turned 16 and had to pay grown up prices. Prior to that I'd had a season ticket for 12 years. My parents could (just) afford to get me a season ticket but they couldn't justify it... So me and my Dad followed Wednesday from 'afar' and got an occasional football fix by going to Rotherham or Barnsley to watch lower League football for about a tenner each. We'd maybe go to five or six games a season.

I promised my Dad when I got a job I'd buy him a season ticket. 19 years on I still haven't. In the early years pricing was ok but quality on offer was awful (aside from some individual players), lately the quality has (generally) improved but the pricing is 'too high' in so much as I could afford it but not justify it.

The are two ways to offer high quality, winning football - 1) Chuck money at it to buy players who (on paper) are sufficient quality to do the job; 2) Ride some 'luck' alongside no little skill to pick up cheaper players who excel.

Due to P&S rules the former approach requires hefty buy in from fans. The latter doesn't. The Chairman asked the fans, in a rather clumsy way, which approach they wanted to take - do we want to continue with high prices and shop at Waitrose or sell our assets and start shopping at Aldi. The fans spoke, Waitrose it is. But we still need to tow the line - we're not allowed to shop at Waitrose because our salary isn't high enough, even though we've won the lottery and don't need a high salary to be able to afford Waitrose.

What an I going on about? I've no idea any more, I'm unwell and I can't sleep, maybe I'm slightly delirious...

We'll let you come in the 601 Club box when our lottery numbers come up lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

sorry for concentrating on just a very small part of this post binky, but do you honestly think he’s looking to lower the cost in a u inquest way for creating a loyal fan base and a family?

sorry bud it’s front loading, it was for the 3/5 year tickets, it is with this, it is with the work around in sponsors and stadium sale, and the creating of this makimg potg pricing high was something he misjudged. He saw a very loyal fan base and thought the ones who don’t buy a season ticket will swallow it and carry on regardless.  
he was wrong, and he also didn’t look at the potential danger of losing future fans who start as casual fans, new supporters don’t just jump in hardcore.

but once again that would be lomg term thinking. And we haven’t had that since our owner walked through the door. 

I think that's how he thinks. I also agree it is frontloading.

£5k spent over ten years is no use to anyone whereas it might be useful now (when multiplied by however many take up the offer)... he's always said the fans need to play their part and there is a hardcore of fans who would probably remortgage their house if it meant they could still go home and away. Hence higher prices 'work' in terms of bringing in more revenue than lower prices (though random cheap games twice a season doesn't really give the low price strategy much of a chance). Lower prices are only viable if we get the money in bulk and if we reap the rewards of the policy of high spending (which we haven't so far). It's risk and reward. We seem to be tweaking our recruitment policy so whilst the Chairman is arguably making the same mistake of not understanding the financial constraints of the average fan we might be able to take positive steps on the field... the only issue is we can't do that unless we still have buy in from the fans so we don't fall foul of the EFL rules.

Not so long ago we were paying something like 70% of current prices to watch Brian Barry-Murphy, Burton O'Brien, Steve Howard, etc... pound for pound we're arguably getting much more for our money now than we were back then. The Chairman can give us a good team and if it wasn't for EFL rules I think he would do so whilst also reducing ticket prices. He could be a hero but the EFL don't really allow him to be. He's getting more and more creative trying to find a winning formula which appeases the fans whilst delivery the funds we need. Trouble is its very difficult to do both and he could certainly be said to be guilty of naivety (in many areas) and of not really understanding the fans. But I think it comes from a good place.

• Like 1

This is clearly a terrible deal for the club in the long term, unless we go up in the next few seasons in which case it’s a drop in the ocean. I can’t believe that whatever this scheme earns in the short term will be the difference between complying with EFL rules or not. 

Another huge gamble then rather than simply selling a player or two for a few million. Everyone is replaceable. There are always loads of great players available for free (Fletch, Bannan, Westy, Hutch, Börner, Harris anyone? Others like Iorfa and Lees not free but cheap as chips)

So assuming we stay in business it’s great for wealthy fans. But these are fans who would have no problem shelling out year after year anyway. Richer fans pay less while your average fan pays way more over that time. 

Not it sure any of this is in the club’s best interest. 

Meanwhile I’m seriously considering taking out a 5 year loan to do this, just about affordable but I really don’t like it. It all feels wrong. It’s short term desperation yet again. BUT it would save me £1000s over the long term - as long as we don’t go bust....  

And I’m far from convinced the club won’t blow up in the next few years. No one can guarantee this scheme will be honoured if that happens. But you pays your money you takes your choice... and anyone who goes for it is taking a risk and that is on them. 10, 15 years is a long long time. 

It’s weird. I kind of resent being given this opportunity, given the risk and that there are so many other obvious ways the club could be better run. 

Christ it’s nothing that we can’t all see. Tickets should be sensibly priced - get em packed in and offer great catering & merch people actually want to buy. More bodies in the ground = more attractive to sponsors and more match day revenue. Better atmosphere too. Great for everyone. Then sell players for big money when we can and invest wisely using great scouting and data to identify under-appreciated talent. Why is that so hard for DC to comprehend? He’s searching for a magical solution that does not exist.