Josh Sims

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

You're asking for something there that we've achieved only once since 1991 and three times since 1973. That last occasion (2006./7) we actually had four get into double figures and it helped us to the heady heights of a modest 9th in the Championship.

Setting goal targets for players is pretty pointless most of the time. There really is not that much of a strict link between such things and team performance.

For example, when we last had someone get 20 in a season, we finished 15th in League One. The last time we made the play-offs, our top scorer had an unremarkable 12. Back in 1992, when we finished 3rd in the entire league, our second leading scorer managed only 9 and the next highest was 6. Until last week, Leeds were top of the division :laugh: and their individual scoring numbers are pretty mediocre overall.

Yes, I acknowledge that However, what do your eyes tell you when you watch games? We don’t have the craft, guile or firepower to regularly overcome sides, mainly in home games 

I believe, in a 4-3.3, we have good options in defence and midfield, but lack decent forward options We probably had someone in Fletcher, who was in the best form of his life, a player who was on target to get 20 goals this season, something he’s never done previously in his career In this system, the wide players have to contribute more Their job is as much about supporting the striker, as providing crosses 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, I acknowledge that However, what do your eyes tell you when you watch games? We don’t have the craft, guile or firepower to regularly overcome sides, mainly in home games 

I believe, in a 4-3.3, we have good options in defence and midfield, but lack decent forward options We probably had someone in Fletcher, who was in the best form of his life, a player who was on target to get 20 goals this season, something he’s never done previously in his career In this system, the wide players have to contribute more Their job is as much about supporting the striker, as providing crosses 

I don't disagree with that. But whatever it's shortcomings, the system as a whole was working reasonably well (more so away from home, granted). If we could get a few more goals from the midfield generally, and not just the wide players, that would make a big difference. But in that entire unit, Luongo looks like the only one really capable of that at the moment, even though Lee and Reach have done so previously. 

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I don't disagree with that. But whatever it's shortcomings, the system as a whole was working reasonably well (more so away from home, granted). If we could get a few more goals from the midfield generally, and not just the wide players, that would make a big difference. But in that entire unit, Luongo looks like the only one really capable of that at the moment, even though Lee and Reach have done so previously. 

Yes, I’m hoping Luongo can get amongst the goals, he’s more than capable, and in a midfield three, he can get forward more Hopefully we can get someone who can do Fletcher’s job, and replicate his form in front of goal To add to that threat, especially in home games, I feel one of the wide players has to be a striker. Not necessarily in a 4-4-2, but in a role similar to the one Kodija played for Villa That allows us the control of a midfield three, but adds potential goals to the front three Of those linked, probably Che Adams could fulfil that role Operating as a wide striker in a 4-3-3, or a more conventional one, when we play 4-4-2 

How realistic Adams is, I’m not sure, but that seems to be the sort of wide player we should be targeting. My only concern is, Sims definitely isn’t that type of player

17 hours ago, Holmowl said:

That would be our 5th winger, after Harris, Murphy, Reach and FF.

Odd.

Harris - Out of form

Murphy - Just garbage (Until Leeds game at least)

Reach - Woefully under performing this season

FF - Injured most of the time.

Not that odd!

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Harris - Out of form

Murphy - Just garbage (Until Leeds game at least)

Reach - Woefully under performing this season

FF - Injured most of the time.

Not that odd!

Bit harsh on Harris, it might be he just needed a rest. Murphy has been good last two games and did well when he came on as sub against Cardiff so he just might have turned the corner. FF just frustrating, didn't look a long term injury but TBH he's been a waste of a wage this season.