Dwight Gayle

40 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Resale value on a deal like this is completely irrelevant. It is purely a question of economics. If the £20m is only on promotion you are effectively buying £200-250m for £20m and if anyone would turn that down you are off your rocker.

This 

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again 

if I was given a choice of premier league status right now and Dwight Gayle but we have got to pay 20 million for it 

Id snap your hands off 

I think on that deal it’s not about Gayle or us this is going to go down to who Newcastle think will get promoted because they want to offload him and get 20 million 

who wouldn’t take a free Dwight Gayle on those chasing promotion on that deal and us would all chose 20 million if we got promoted and Dwight Gayle if not it’s cost us nothing surely. Madness to even consider otherwise I wouldn’t even cared if he was injured most of his time or bench warmed 

West Brom 

Leeds 
Brentford 

Fulham

forest 

Swansea

Millwall

bristol

preston

Question is Newcastle could pretty much hand pick anyone from those lot they only need to get one out of the three promotion sides as it stands leeds and West Brom are the better choices do they might have a bit more negotiation on knocking the promotion price down 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

So we could pay circa £1 million in wages until the end of the season and then if we go up we pay £20million if we don’t we return back to the toon no hard feelings.

DC has blown way more cash on rubbish over previous seasons than an educated chance / gamble of £1 million pounds of wages.

Gayle scores goals in this division, pace, diving, whinging at the ref etc etc rather have him playing for us than against us in any of the other top 6 teams.

Yes but if he's on our side we can't kick him. If he's playing for someone else we can give him a right leathering. That'll learn 'im. lol

Guest The Horse

Nah, not feelin' this.

He's a poacher and we already have two of them in Rhodes and Winnall.

Our way of playing doesn't really suit his or their game.

Fletcher, Wickham - yes.

Gayle would be a waste under our system.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, The Horse said:

Nah, not feelin' this.

Fletcher, Wickham - yes.

Not making a case for Gayle with the sums involved, but Rhodes & Winnall are more like poached eggs these days than poachers. 

2 minutes ago, The Horse said:

Nah, not feelin' this.

Fletcher, Wickham - yes.

Yep agreed. Fletcher type replacement is a priority. If, in some parallel universe we can afford the wages for two loan strikers by offloading Rhodes and Winnall then sure a poacher of the quality of gayle would be welcome.

9 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Yep agreed. Fletcher type replacement is a priority. If, in some parallel universe we can afford the wages for two loan strikers by offloading Rhodes and Winnall then sure a poacher of the quality of gayle would be welcome.

I think if Fletcher had not got injured, we'd still have looked to bring in another attacking player with some pace to feed off him and provide more goals. A Fletcher type of striker like Wickham for example must be top priority but some pace or a partner would also benefit us too? Combined with our defensive solidity and midfield, we'd have a decent shot at being in the mix and getting over the line. All we lack at present is more goals in the team and more ability to kill teams off.

I dont think we will be signing any one until we shift Rhodes and Winnall. Or at least try to. Talk of a big money loan strikers from a premier league club will only happen once one or both are gone. So we know how much wages room we have to work with.

We are not going to just go and sign Gayle on 60/70 grand a week no matter how good the deal seems. And if it is 1m for wages now and 20m on promotion ( 1m prob being a third of his wage ) then he wont be coming to us he will be going to a team like leeds or WBA 10 points odd clear so Newcastle can almost guarantee a return.

Personally think we just got to hope for the best here. But understand that we got a lot of high paid rubbish we wont shift unless we pay most of the wages for them to leave. In which case there is no money for a decent loan player. 

Proper stuck we are really.

lol

14 hours ago, wilyfox said:

To be honest I'm a little disappointed that we're only in for Wickham, Gayle, Adams, and Nketiah. Not sure that would be enough. 

I'd love to see Wickham, Gayle, Adams, and Nketiah 4x 100m relay vs Rhodes, Winnall, Nuhiu and Fletcher.

Reckon it'd be pretty close.

23 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

Didn't Nixon say last night that it was £8m on promotion rather than £20m?

I'd be astounded if we signed Gayle.  I'm not getting excited until I see him in our shirt.

Could be a while in any event, isn't he out injured for 3-4 weeks with a hamstring tear? 

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Could be a while in any event, isn't he out injured for 3-4 weeks with a hamstring tear? 

Back in training in 2-3 weeks and back playing sometime early next month, according to this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7885697/Dwight-Gayle-handed-injury-boost-West-Brom-Fulham-interested-signature.html

• Thanks 1

Sorry but no.

1. He's a Cockwomble.

2. He's a diving whinging Cockwomble.

3. He's a diving whinging Cockwomble that all the clubs signing him regret.

4. He's a diving whinging Cockwomble, that all the clubs signing him regret, who wants shiit loads of money for being a diving whinging Cockwomble.

Just no. If you think I've been hard on DC so far, you haven't seen anything if we signed this waster.

18 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Sorry but no.

1. He's a Cockwomble.

2. He's a diving whinging Cockwomble.

3. He's a diving whinging Cockwomble that all the clubs signing him regret.

4. He's a diving whinging Cockwomble, that all the clubs signing him regret, who wants shiit loads of money for being a diving whinging Cockwomble.

Just no. If you think I've been hard on DC so far, you haven't seen anything if we signed this waster.

But apart from that. You like him.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But apart from that. You like him.

Honestly.

How anyone could want that Cockwomble in our stripes, shows how far we've ethically fallen.

Fake sponsors, selling shiit to ourselves, Dwight flipping Gayle ?

Have we lost the plot ? Maybe it's just me.

• Like 1