Dwight Gayle

1 hour ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Thats the thing, Newcastle are offering him as a free loan to championship clubs, the only kicker to that is upon promotion they want £20 million. 

I think if we all look at the bigger picture having to pay that amount will feel less painful because we would be in the Premiership.

Also £20m is a small amount of the budget to keep us there once we’ve arrived 

The loan to buy deal (apparently) on offer upon promotion is not something I’d back.

He’s approaching 30 and £20 million is a hell of a lot for a player who hasn’t proved himself in the top flight.

Mike Ashley isn’t daft and is dangling the carrot, sprinkling glitter on a poo deal hoping to offload a striker that they don’t have use for anymore.

He’s a £10 million player now, a £7.5 million player in the summer.

35 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Good player but far too ugly for us. Next to Joey he's going to look like a gargoyle.

Not fair on the lad. 

This is a genuine concern.

I always think Leeds players have a certain ‘look’. 

Our players are generally a little above average on that score.

I’m being polite as I can but I don’t think Gayle is up to standard.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

This is a genuine concern.

I always think Leeds players have a certain ‘look’. 

Our players are generally a little above average on that score.

I’m being polite as I can but I don’t think Gayle is up to standard.

On reflection, perhaps I was lacking a little sensitivity in my initial assessment :blush:

He is ugly though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Wait... if we got promoted and had to give them £20m would we get the player too... or is that just a retrospective loan fee?

Got to admire their brass neck.

They want rid of a player they obviously don’t rate as Premier League quality. 
But if the team he’s loaned to gets promoted to the Premier League they want £20million.

That deal’s got Mike Ashley written all over it. No thanks.

If the financials of the deal really are those that are being reported then it's an absolute no-brainer.

Even if we had no intention of playing him it would still be worth it just in order to prevent a rival from having him.

I assume this deal would only be open to those clubs for whom promotion looks reasonably realistic?

The money that promotion to the Prem is worth, even if we immediately gave him away for nothing the deal would obviously still be worth it.

2 hours ago, ANDY said:
17:02

WEDNESDAY ENTER GAYLE RACE

Sheffield Wednesday have entered the race to sign Newcastle striker Dwight Gayle in January, according to the Daily Mail.

Pan cake face says he isn’t available. Too many injuries. 

Lets say Fulham get him on this deal.

He scores 10-15 goals.

Gets them up.

They pay 20 million and have a proven quality championship striker who just banged in the goals on a say 3 year deal.

He is worth at least 15-20 million as is.

They could easily sell him to one of the relegated prem teams or do a similar deal with an aspiring championship club to recoup the monies. 

It's a no brainer. We would be gutted if some other team does this and he gets them up.

Edited by trev
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ohgoditsjames said:

£60k per week works out around a 1.26 million pounds over 21 weeks which would see is to the end of the season...

Worth a punt tbh, if we do go up £20 million is naff all.

Look what the pigs bought with their money, i'd say £20 million is still substantial, even given the new environment.