Dwight Gayle

Sheffield Wednesday are the latest club to be credited with reported interest in Newcastle striker Dwight Gayle.

The Telegraph has previously claimed that Championship teams West Brom, Fulham and Nottingham Forest are keen on January swoops for the 29-year-old.

It is understood that the Magpies will loan out their English attacker in January, but want a £20 million fee if the clubs achieve promotion.

According to the Daily Mail,Wednesday have joined the Championship trio in eyeing the centre-forward.

The report explains that Gayle will return to training from an injury within the next two or three weeks and that is a boost for teams looking to sign him on loan.

Wages are obscene, even if we offer 50% still among our top earners. Add to that he is injured with a hamstring injury, something he's been prone to throughout his career, therefore not available to provide the immediate impact we need  

Cant help but think this reported interest is being used as a stalking horse, either to force someone's hand to take Gayle or demonstrate to our targets that we have other options 

Edited by striker

Heard a rumour that Wickham was found unconscious in his car just off the M1, an hour before Dwight Gayle turned up for talks at S6 with a pork pie, pickled onions, a bag of cheese and onion crisps, a banana, an apple, a Mr Tom bar and a carton of Ribena.

• Like 1

Sounds like another sort of bad deal of the kind that led to our problems with FFP/P&S.

He’s never impressed when I’ve seen him at Hillsborough either. Gets Mardy very quickly when not getting his own way and spends too much time moaning at the ref.

Guest wilyfox
20 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I take it that was tongue in cheek?

Tongue in pussŷ this time.

13 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm feeling greedy enough that considering our league position and well-balanced squad (bar our current strikeforce) that if we don't get any of the names being flaunted as possibilities I'll be gutted. The big question mark of available finances its ugly head again...

Wickham makes sense, if his body can hold up 4 months. Gray is ridiculous. Gayle is ridiculous. Adams very unlikely. Nketiah taking so long suggests he ain't mad keen on any option offered. We do seem to shopping in the short-term super expensive quick fix market. Not the way I'd rather go, but I don't know our financial position.