Colin Dobson

The Joy of Last Saturday

My biggest joy of last Saturday was this footage of the game.  

:wub:

(the fun starts at 3:06)

Edited by Suzuki_San
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

48 minutes ago, Colin Dobson said:

I wasn't there but I've watched most of the footage & what a victory that was! I've been following the Owls since the days of Froggatt & Quixall and let's be honest the last 20 years have been horrendous but it's 72 hours since the final whistle blew at Elland Road & I'm still on a high and feel about 12 years old again!

Several things strike me 1. Monk's tactics 2. The absolute delight shared between the players & fans(I'll never forget the Fox Dawson embrace - two players who've had to win over the doubters. 3. The "love-in" bubble by the southern media for all things Bielsa & Leeds was well and truly pricked by our lads. Wonderful & to be honest almost as unexpected as that extraordinary F.A. Cup replay win in 1969.

Another false dawn - who knows? Blackburn Rovers at Hillsborough on Saturday won't be easy but I'm savouring the moment because I think beating Brighton's "reserves" was one thing but January 11th 2020 was arguably the best result this century!

Yep same, thought we played really well to a plan which was well executed by players who seemed to be following instructions to the letter.  

One or two hearts in mouth times, but you get that in most games. More the game went on more you could see us getting something.  They had a very good Plan A but once it gave them no reward they had no Plan B to fall back on, once the BFG came on they just caved.

Enjoyed watching all the different media on the game. 

Leeds, Leeds are fall... 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

Was with you until you said "the best result this century" 

it's an interesting point though isn't it.  We have been in the championship or league 1 since 2000.  In that time have we won away from home in the league against the league leaders in any of those seasons? Were Newcastle top when we won on boxing day there? Maybe portsmouth and the breakaway Michael Readdy goal. I would probably discount that though as we were fighting relegation at the time and you could argue getting the win when you are trying to gain promotion is more important.

In terms of importance the Brighton play off tops the list but saturdays result in isolation I think would be in the top 3.   That is also a sad statement reflecting how far we have dropped and how much we have been starved of success.

A joyous day and felt a change in our season (hopefully!) 

Squad feels together and solid, just need now to put a strong performance at home and set a marker.

Easily the best away day of the season. 

I went absolutely nuts when Murphy scored and again when Big Dave finished them off. Any win against those scrubbers in their shithole backyard is wonderful. wee wee funny seeing them all flood out at the end. 

Games like that remind you why you endure the bad times. 

• Agree 6

Oh s h i t! Oh s h i t!.....B a s t a rd!

The end...:duntmatter:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Easily the best away day of the season. 

I went absolutely nuts when Murphy scored and again when Big Dave finished them off. Any win against those scrubbers in their shithole backyard is wonderful. wee wee funny seeing them all flood out at the end. 

Games like that remind you why you endure the bad times. 

Away goal celebrations always seem more amazing too...remember busting mi nose and smashing mi phone at the Dell celebrating an Andy Booth equaliser in the Fa Cup...still lost 3-1 like but great days!:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, new zealand owl said:

it's an interesting point though isn't it.  We have been in the championship or league 1 since 2000.  In that time have we won away from home in the league against the league leaders in any of those seasons? Were Newcastle top when we won on boxing day there? Maybe portsmouth and the breakaway Michael Readdy goal. I would probably discount that though as we were fighting relegation at the time and you could argue getting the win when you are trying to gain promotion is more important.

In terms of importance the Brighton play off tops the list but saturdays result in isolation I think would be in the top 3.   That is also a sad statement reflecting how far we have dropped and how much we have been starved of success.

Yes.  We won 3-1 at Watford when they were league leaders 2000-2001 Championship.  

3 hours ago, Colin Dobson said:

I wasn't there but I've watched most of the footage & what a victory that was! I've been following the Owls since the days of Froggatt & Quixall and let's be honest the last 20 years have been horrendous but it's 72 hours since the final whistle blew at Elland Road & I'm still on a high and feel about 12 years old again!

Several things strike me 1. Monk's tactics 2. The absolute delight shared between the players & fans(I'll never forget the Fox Dawson embrace - two players who've had to win over the doubters. 3. The "love-in" bubble by the southern media for all things Bielsa & Leeds was well and truly pricked by our lads. Wonderful & to be honest almost as unexpected as that extraordinary F.A. Cup replay win in 1969.

Another false dawn - who knows? Blackburn Rovers at Hillsborough on Saturday won't be easy but I'm savouring the moment because I think beating Brighton's "reserves" was one thing but January 11th 2020 was arguably the best result this century!

I'm not sure it's the best result this century; could be that your viewpoint is being influenced because it was against Leeds. Scoring 6 at home against the same opposition, playoff final at Cardiff, Wycombe match, Brighton play off semi, all come to mind initially. There may be many more but unfortunately my memory is not what it used to be.

39 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Yes.  We won 3-1 at Watford when they were league leaders 2000-2001 Championship.  

Went to that one

got locked in multi story car park in Watford afterwards, not home for many hours. Played well that night, Andy booth especially and I am sure Tony crane from memory was like Tony butcher that evening!

4 hours ago, Colin Dobson said:

Winning at home on Saturday against a very average side will be the second best result this century. 

13 minutes ago, debram said:

Winning at home on Saturday against a very average side will be the second best result this century. 

decade? lol

6 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

My biggest joy of last Saturday was this footage of the game.  

:wub:

(the fun starts at 3:06)

Cracking view of the goals in that video.

3 hours ago, Grassy knoll said:

Tony Butcher? Do you mean Terry? Or even Pat? 

She used to play for Liverpool you know...

Image result for Shanice van de Sanden

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

Was with you until you said "the best result this century" 

Well, maybe the decade then? :biggrin:

Great result and I’m still buzzing too but let’s keep our collective feet on the ground.

If Leeds had a player who could shoot straight we would have been 2-0 down in that first half.

Task now is to build on the confidence boost a result like that generates. No more believing we just have to turn up to win as against Stoke. Lessons learned I Hope cos Blackburn are no push over.