2 Great wins but ......

I do think that Reach on the left and Harris or Murphy on the right will make us more dynamic at home. They cut back so often if not.

I think that a midfield without Hutchinson at home makes us far more dominant and creative. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Anybody actually think this is the correct formation to breakdown teams in homes? I think probably not. Thoughts?

I think we've struggled with both this formation and the 442 to break teams down.  I think it's more to do with the way the opposition sit back when they come to our and defy us to break them down. 

When you consider the two goals at Elland Road,  they're both brilliantly worked, but there's space for us to work them into. 

We just don't get afforded that sort of space at Hillsborough.

Which is often I think why we do use the 442 and try and bludgeon our way in. Especially when the crowd starts getting frustrated. 

I think the genuine answer to improve our ability to break teams down is cleverer players - in whatever formation we choose.

In the meantime I'm hopeful that the re emergence of Lee into the line up and Bannan playing higher than previously this season might give us the keys to unlock a few more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Holmowl said:

I do think that Reach on the left and Harris or Murphy on the right will make us more dynamic at home. They cut back so often if not.

I think that a midfield without Hutchinson at home makes us far more dominant and creative. 

Agree with this.

Our strength is getting crosses into the box so let’s allow our best crosser of the ball to do just that.

I also like having a proper playmaker in the deep lying midfield role. Bannan gets the time and space to dictate our tempo and create, but he has less onus on him to always be the guy finding the killer pass

In Lee and Luongo we have two good finishers, both of whom are adept at getting a foot in when it counts, and with Murphy we have a bit of pace down the right. 

So yes, I think it can work for us at home. But...I feel like you need to start Nuhiu so Lee and Luongo get a bit more space to work in.

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Agree with this.

Our strength is getting crosses into the box so let’s allow our best crosser of the ball to do just that.

I also like having a proper playmaker in the deep lying midfield role. Bannan gets the time and space to dictate our tempo and create, but he has less onus on him to always be the guy finding the killer pass

In Lee and Luongo we have two good finishers, both of whom are adept at getting a foot in when it counts, and with Murphy we have a bit of pace down the right. 

So yes, I think it can work for us at home. But...I feel like you need to start Nuhiu so Lee and Luongo get a bit more space to work in.

I suppose that’s the “problem” with the 433. Is Winnall or Rhodes that central striker? 

I still think we will see Rhodes-Nuhiu some games, but hopefully with Bannan and Luongo as the two-man midfield.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I suppose that’s the “problem” with the 433. Is Winnall or Rhodes that central striker? 

I still think we will see Rhodes-Nuhiu some games, but hopefully with Bannan and Luongo as the two-man midfield.

It's the end for Rhodes if we stick to it. 

Then again, we haven't really had a start. 

Winnall some games. Nuhiu others.

And hopefully a loan signing to bring a bit of something else. 

19 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Anybody actually think this is the correct formation to breakdown teams in homes? I think probably not. Thoughts?

We can't have it all.

This season we are a team built on a strong defence and direct play and collecting points based on pragmatism. 442 or 433 we aren't going to be able to easily unpick teams who sit back. 

With where we were pre season that's been the right way to go.

I know that's not always gonna be exciting at home but teams can do to us what we do to them.

Its gonna be a grind all season but we've got a decent chance.

Edited by Peacenocchio

We did to Leeds Saturday what other teams have done to us at Hillsborough 

The only answer is to get more quality in the last 3rd of the pitch 

I am sure Garry is well aware of what we need 

Whether he can get us that Quality at the moment is unsure but I reckon he will be going all out for it , but it’s out of his hands I would think 

There is absolutely no reason why you can't beat a team by playing 4-5-1/4-3-3 at home. 

What is it with Wednesday fans an obsession with only playing 1 up top. 

At the end of the day, it is about how you play within the system, not so much the system itself. 

16 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

As has been suggested, no other formation seems to give us any better chance. We know we don’t have the attacking assets, and losing Fletcher makes things worse, and this will be more noticeable in home games. Monk knows this, and is working to remedy the situation. 

much as I prefer two up top at home, with Fletch out I’d stick with starting one out-and-out striker and push Lee into almost a 10 role, tell him not to worry about coming too deep but work on giving us a direct link between Bannan and Rhodes without us having to go long which doesn’t work without Fletcher.

Rely on Reach/Murphy/Harris to get down the channels and pose a secondary shooting threat from there in addition to crossing. Add Nuhiu in last 25 if we’re not getting enough of a sniff.

Rhodes

Reach           Lee       Murphy/Harris

Bannan      Luongo

Fox                        Urhoghide/Palmer

Börner     Iorfa

Dawson

Edited by Mr. Tom