Jump to content

Recommended Posts

He's brilliant. Someone said it before, how can you defend against some one who doesn't know himself what hes gonna do next?! Joao was exact same in that regard, just faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, toppOwl said:

 

Yes he did spring to mind but I remember him more as at first looking like a useless lump then growing into the game and improving, then being the star player in an admittedly poor side.

They could both be world beaters for 10 minutes - a season. That’s perhaps a bit unfair but you’ve my drift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

 

A dreary put down, but it masks over the fact that he has out performed a player who many have hailed as some sort of magical talisman, while outperforming him even when he has had a bad day.

 

Aren't you sick of the number times that people tell us Nuhiu has had a bad game, when he has just come on for the last ten minutes in games, where we have been dire throughout and he has at least managed to have a couple of efforts on goal? 

 

He's been reasonably effective coming on for the last 20mins I'll grant you that but when he starts games more often than not he's been awful (the recent game away at Stoke was a good example).

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An all time cult hero for many reasons.  If anyone has been lucky enough to do the stadium tour, the area by the dressing rooms and tunnel has about 10 large posters up on the walls of swfc scenes in last few years. At least half are big Adthe goals being celebrated, lot of love for the big man at the club.

 

A goal from big Atdhe just means more than a goal from any other player in the squad. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whatever is said about him, past , present or future..he's a player i'll always remember...a bit like Joicey or maybe JJ

not sorta with us when we had a great team, but lets be honest he's a talking point.

Saturday more or less summed him up...Maybe you wouldn't want him in the starting line up...but you wouldn't want him left offa the subs bench, cos stuff happens even when he's on for 15 minutes...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Weirdly though he is very good at defensive headers 

Perhaps the key is "directed headers".

Defensive headers can go anywhere as long as it's away from goal.

Attacking headers have to be placed between 2 vertical sticks and 1 horizontal bar. 

Agree with those who say he spends too much time away from the furthest forward position.

If he's out wide he's not in a position to smash it into the net. Needs to be a "goal poacher" and stay up front and middle. 

Also agree he's an impact sub for last 10-15 minutes. Either chasing a goal or defending a lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

 

Couple of reasons for that.

 

Defensive headers are much easier than attacking headers. 

 

Generally getting anything on it is pretty much a success - trying to craft an opening or beat a professional goalkeeper is much more difficult. 

 

Secondly, we allow him (and Fletcher) to be the free man and just attack the ball. No klingons nor marking responsibility helps.

Ah thanks for explaining 

never realised any of that !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Remember how much of a donkey he was infront of goal the first couple of seasons? He used to miss so many chances...

 

Now he is actually pretty clinical. He actually doesn’t get too many chances a game as he’s often doing grunt work elsewhere on the pitch - but when he does, he converts quite regularly.
 

Whoever has been helping him develop that part of his game has done a great job.

Not the answer never been the answer never will be the answer. 

  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, toppOwl said:

 

He's been reasonably effective coming on for the last 20mins I'll grant you that but when he starts games more often than not he's been awful (the recent game away at Stoke was a good example).

 

Yes fair enough. He does seem to have more impact recently when coming on as sub but maybe that is just because he is not fully match fit. Playing every game, like he did for half a season not so long ago and he had 11 goals. You can only hope that if he had played the full season he could have got at least very close to that 20 goal a season benchmark that we have struggled to reach with any of our strikers going back a long way now. especially at this level or higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are playing just the one up front, and with the players currently available, then Nuhiu starts for me Yes I know his recent stats are better from the bench, but he’s the only one with the all round game, capable of playing that role. Nuhiu plays best with Forestieri, in fact our best front three in recent times, was Nuhiu, Forestieri and Joao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

 

Yes fair enough. He does seem to have more impact recently when coming on as sub but maybe that is just because he is not fully match fit. Playing every game, like he did for half a season not so long ago and he had 11 goals. You can only hope that if he had played the full season he could have got at least very close to that 20 goal a season benchmark that we have struggled to reach with any of our strikers going back a long way now. especially at this level or higher. 

 

He's never going to be a 20 goals a season man I'm afraid.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

 

He's never going to be a 20 goals a season man I'm afraid.

 

Not many are these days.

.

We haven't owned  a player who's  banged 20 since McLean to my recollection.  What's that, 14, 15 years ago?


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If we are playing just the one up front, and with the players currently available, then Nuhiu starts for me Yes I know his recent stats are better from the bench, but he’s the only one with the all round game, capable of playing that role. Nuhiu plays best with Forestieri, in fact our best front three in recent times, was Nuhiu, Forestieri and Joao

 

Totally disagree 

He is very ineffective when he starts , my theory is I think he tries to pace himself and as such renders him very ineffectual , on the other hand last 20 - 30  minutes  he knows he can put a shift in and is totally a different player .

 

Think Monk recognises this, also I have heard the manager and coaching staff shouting and encouraging him to chase and compete more for high balls 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He improved when Rhodes arrived :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, poite said:

He improved when Rhodes arrived :ph34r:


Probalby just seemed that way due to comparing the performances of the two of them.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

Not many are these days.

.

We haven't owned  a player who's  banged 20 since McLean to my recollection.  What's that, 14, 15 years ago?


 

 

The last one was Neil Mellor in League One, but he, like MacLean, did not hit that target in league games alone. I think you have to go back to Mark Bright in the early 1990s for that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2020 at 10:20, Lord Snooty said:

 

 

I don't have the stats. But I'd wager he's scored more 6 yard box goals than anyone else.

 

I don't have the stats. But I'd wager he's had more Owlstalk threads than anyone else.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rev Owl said:

I don't have the stats. But I'd wager he's had more Owlstalk threads than anyone else.

 

No doubt at all about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

No doubt at all about that. 

 

He's not started as many as you.

 

Attention whore.

:biggrin:

 

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, toppOwl said:

 

He's never going to be a 20 goals a season man I'm afraid.

spot on bud,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...