Dean Smith Villa Manager

39 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Which brings us to the main man.

Roger Johnson.

WTF:

I'm surprised to find that someone thinks Roger Johnson has been our worst.

I remember him as being excellent for us - in fact, so much so that after his loan spell with us (and our desperate attempts to get him back for the remainder of the season), he went and signed for Premier League West Ham.

I think he was poor at West Ham though, and certainly guilty of at least a couple of howlers as I recall. Still, for us, I can only remember a good player.

Guest LittleG
22 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Really? That clearly wasn't implied by my post or anything. 

Did you genuinely believe I didn't know who Pearson was either?

If you were going for sarcasm in your original post then it clearly didn't work. As it says on the school report "must try harder". 

Just now, LittleG said:

If you were going for sarcasm in your original post then it clearly didn't work. As it says on the school report "must try harder". 

I made a very clear reference to one of our most famous players and apologised for being a wee pipe.

How was it not clear? Unless the wee pipe comment was a general apology for my life so far.

10 minutes ago, cowl said:

I remember him as being excellent for us - in fact, so much so that after his loan spell with us (and our desperate attempts to get him back for the remainder of the season), he went and signed for Premier League West Ham.

I think he was poor at West Ham though, and certainly guilty of at least a couple of howlers as I recall. Still, for us, I can only remember a good player.

I thought he was terrible. It’s all subjective. 

I didn’t see all of his games, but what I saw was enough.

Purse wasn’t much better either.

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I made a very clear reference to one of our most famous players and apologised for being a wee pipe.

How was it not clear? Unless the wee pipe comment was a general apology for my life so far.

I made a very clear reference that the aforementioned player had been the subject of previous posts on the subject of managerial appointments, is that not clear enough?

12 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

He's a drongo mate. Likes to tell people what they should and shouldn't post. F absolute FS

51 minutes ago, cowl said:

Johnson was decent for us imo

Very good centre back but made some silly career moves - the Wolves one being the worst

Just now, parkfieldowl14 said:

Rushden and Diamonds at home.Now that was absolute torture watching that game. WTF:

Until the derby debacle against them lot a few years back, that was probably the worst game I've ever watched at Hillsborough. 

Sitting there, playing out a nil nil draw against Rushden and flipping Diamonds. 

Absolutely brutal. 

There were  so many bad displays that season - losing at home to Wrexham, Plymouth, Blackpool, throwing away a 2 goal lead against Stockport. Could go on and on. 

2 hours ago, Cockers said:

That 2003-04 season was a truly awful one, in a truly awful era for the club. We were only about five points off the drop to the 4th tier at the end of the season. 

Dean Smith arrived on loan.

Following a dismal midweek game me and a mate went to the Acorn in Burncross for a drink and we saw Smith and his dad. Brian Barry-Murphy was with them.

Smith was a really nice bloke and was very happy to chat. He said how privileged he felt to play for Wednesday and remarkably said that he knew he'd only got to play for such a big club because they were doing so badly in the 3rd tier. I recall him saying the players at that time were frightened of playing at Hillsborough in front of 20,000 each week.

He was a solid defender at that level and a decent bloke when I chatted with him.

Still nowhere near as bad as 74-77. Back in those days we were only averaging 11 or 12k a season and regularly had gates under 10k.

Edited by Utah Owl

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Until the derby debacle against them lot a few years back, that was probably the worst game I've ever watched at Hillsborough. 

Sitting there, playing out a nil nil draw against Rushden and flipping Diamonds. 

Absolutely brutal. 

There were  so many bad displays that season - losing at home to Wrexham, Plymouth, Blackpool, throwing away a 2 goal lead against Stockport. Could go on and on. 

At least one consolation came out of the Plymouth debarcle,Plymouth manager Paul Sturrock became our manager the following season and the rest is history.:tango:

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Big decision for Villa whether to keep Smith and get relegated - but hope for a successful long term future with him, or replace him now and bring in a Big Sam type to try and stay up this season. 

Can see Villa letting him go....they have the losing habit now and easy option for an owner is to change and  if it doesn't work says well had to do something.

Shame as good manager although the PL can be different to all the other leagues. Bit like a decent PL manager might not back it in the Championship.

I met Dean at a friends wedding years ago, he was good friends with the brides dad ever since they were neighbours when he lived at High Green whilst playing for us.

He was Walsall manager at the time. Chatted to him for a while and he's a really down to earth and decent bloke, spoke very highly of Wednesday aswell, got a lot of time for the club. Whilst at Walsall he was working with the smallest budget in the division and to be fair he had them playing some really good football. It's a shame it's not going to plan for him at Villa. I'm sure if he got the sack he would get another job in the Championship in no time.