Dean Smith Villa Manager

Am I mistaken, or did he really won 2 Player of the Month awards in his first two months with us.

And when we go relegated I remember Turner going on record saying how he moved Smith to lcb where he wasn't comfortable to get the best out of Graham Lee.

I remember Smith as experienced player who always tried hard and gave his all, but sadly wasn't good enough to play for Sheffield Wednesday.

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Think we paid 50k for him from Orient, like everyone says, we were a poor side heading towards league one. 

And we gave Hereford ? 50k for Ian Hendon, bought Ashley Westwood for 250k from Bradford, and Steve Harkness for around 200k from Blackburn.

3 hours ago, OxOwl said:

Played for us 2003/04 Can't for the life of me remember that.wikipedia says one goal for us.

Was he any good??

That 2003-04 season was a truly awful one, in a truly awful era for the club. We were only about five points off the drop to the 4th tier at the end of the season. 

Dean Smith arrived on loan.

Following a dismal midweek game me and a mate went to the Acorn in Burncross for a drink and we saw Smith and his dad. Brian Barry-Murphy was with them.

Smith was a really nice bloke and was very happy to chat. He said how privileged he felt to play for Wednesday and remarkably said that he knew he'd only got to play for such a big club because they were doing so badly in the 3rd tier. I recall him saying the players at that time were frightened of playing at Hillsborough in front of 20,000 each week.

He was a solid defender at that level and a decent bloke when I chatted with him.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

When he signed I'm sure Turner said something like "Defenders in the lower leagues are just as good those in the higher leagues"... or something to that effect. 

Indeed. Then again he also said Paul Smith was the second best crosser in England after David Beckham. Though he neglected to mention that Beckham could actually run as well. 

• Haha 2

Nothing against the guy - i often used to get on the same train back from Sheffield as his family and friends that always went to watch him - his brother was top, top laugh and always chatted away about how much Dean loved playing for Wednesday and how proud his family were for him to be playing at such a great club

They were all mad keen Villa fans but came to watch us while he was playing for us

I really hope it will work out for him at Villa because it would mean so much to them all

But sadly he was a poor player in a poor team

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Indeed. Then again he also said Paul Smith was the second best crosser in England after David Beckham. Though he neglected to mention that Beckham could actually run as well. 

TBF is Wednesday had a quid for every time Turner said something utterly nonsensical we would be bidding for Messi in this transfer window...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, scram said:

TBF is Wednesday had a quid for every time Turner said something utterly nonsensical we would be bidding for Messi in this transfer window...

Ah yes.  "They've played on their pitch before" and "We're not used to playing in wind" are too classics that spring to mind.

Still. Great save in '91. I always where possible try and just remember him as a player.

17 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Ah yes.  "They've played on their pitch before" and "We're not used to playing in wind" are too classics that spring to mind.

Still. Great save in '91. I always where possible try and just remember him as a player.

Absolutely

Excellent keeper for us

4 hours ago, OxOwl said:

Played for us 2003/04 Can't for the life of me remember that.wikipedia says one goal for us.

Was he any good??

Decent player and a good captain. Also a really good bloke. Bumped into him in Vegas when he was manager of Swindon. He had very fond memories of his time with us and knows we are a very big club