They’re not a happy bunch

3 hours ago, LSOwls said:

I live in Leeds.

I manage a team of 100 and there are 5. Wednesdayites and 4 Leeds. (This is because Sheffield has/ had no jobs)

Most seem to come from surrounding towns, Wakefield, Ponte, Cas etc.

Yep.

I was back up in Leeds a couple of years back.

Leeds were on telly later in the evening. 

Anyway, youd think in Leeds city centre it wouldn't be that hard to find some football, at least a bar with Gillette on in the background to keep up with the 3pm kick offs.

But no, all we could find was super league everywhere - the Rhinos weren't even playing! 

37 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hate to say it but they  are as big as anyone.  During the 60s and 70 s they were a force to be reckoned with and would fill any size ground if they had a little success.  They have a  large catchment area no real competition in the local area.  Don Revie sides seemed to appeal to fans around the country for been tough and uncompromising and  having that siege mentality. 

My hates are uniteds  

Sheffield

Leeds

Manchester

Was sat in the North stand many years ago and they scored a few of their lads jumped and  one promptly fell down ;) 
and the rest all went for a run down the steps as other Wednesday fans went to introduce themselves.  

Good days

if there that big as soon as there mid table they get 16000 crowds which they did a few times 2-3 years ago and also mid eighties just before Wilkinson went there they were getting 8000 crowds on a Saturday  afternoon. we have consistent support appx 23000 at home and always sell out away unless its a tues night 200 miles away whether we are top 6 or bottom 6 . 

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

if there that big as soon as there mid table they get 16000 crowds which they did a few times 2-3 years ago and also mid eighties just before Wilkinson went there they were getting 8000 crowds on a Saturday  afternoon. we have consistent support appx 23000 at home and always sell out away unless its a tues night 200 miles away whether we are top 6 or bottom 6 . 

I can remember similar gates at Hillsborough.  If there was one team in Sheffield then we would match them and more.   

28 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I can remember similar gates at Hillsborough.  If there was one team in Sheffield then we would match them and more.   

ive been going since 1984 we might have had 14000 once for a night game but defo not gone below that ,1970s? maybe 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Didn't we get gates in the teens in the Division 1/Prem?  Not sure 

yes we did for quite a few games ,when peter useless was in charge. crowds in general were a lot lower then , then following week you get 49500 against Coventry in cup and 50000 for Liverpool league game feb 1985 . a lot less in those days had season tickets ,most paid cash at turnstiles £1.50 kids £2.50 adults . in those days grounds were quite open to the elements ,high fences and plenty of fisticuffs 

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

yes we did for quite a few games ,when peter useless was in charge. crowds in general were a lot lower then , then following week you get 49500 against Coventry in cup and 50000 for Liverpool league game feb 1985 . a lot less in those days had season tickets ,most paid cash at turnstiles £1.50 kids £2.50 adults . in those days grounds were quite open to the elements ,high fences and plenty of fisticuffs 

I was there went on Leppings Lane in the 80s

3 hours ago, Anlaby Owl said:

To be fair, a bit like man utd; a huge proportion of their fanbase come from outside of Leeds.  Certainly there is a large 'ellement' that travel from areas like selby, goole, wakefield and barnsley. 

That just adds to the argument that Leeds is just not a footballing city, it's massive and they only turn up when they're up at the top and as you say many travel from outside.

8 hours ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

Might get a bit of stick for this, but we need to get Hillsborough rocking like they do at Elland rd. as much as I hate Leeds they make a racket at home. 

Only because they be been automatic contenders for last season and way in front for autos this I’m sure if we was the ground and atmosphere would be better.

20 hours ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

Get a load of this pineapple headed c*nt.

Professional footballer and doesn't understand how football works.

FB_IMG_1578781252303.jpg

Can’t stand that silly çûnt’s haircut. Looks like someone has stuck a Pom-Pom on his head. Príćk.

And his comments/attitude is why the fall apart and will do every time.

• Haha 1

I suppose when you've got the mainstream media/press licking your orifice every 5 minutes; it can be quite hard for it not to go to your head and to believe the hype. 

The likes of Sky, Henry Winter absolutely love banging on about Leeds and how big of a club they are, how much of a genius Biesla is and so forth. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:58, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hate to say it but they  are as big as anyone.  During the 60s and 70 s they were a force to be reckoned with and would fill any size ground if they had a little success.  They have a  large catchment area no real competition in the local area.  Don Revie sides seemed to appeal to fans around the country for been tough and uncompromising and  having that siege mentality. 

My hates are uniteds  

Sheffield

Leeds

Manchester

Was sat in the North stand many years ago and they scored a few of their lads jumped and  one promptly fell down ;) 
and the rest all went for a run down the steps as other Wednesday fans went to introduce themselves.  

Good days

The Don Revie side appealed to every wanabee hooligan from all around the land back in the day, simple as that. Leeds fans in the 70's were invading pitches and tearing up trains every week and so if you wanted to be associated with the "hardest" firm, wherever you lived, it was a straight choice between Leeds, Chelsea or Miwaw, with Leeds being the biggest and most succesful by far. The fact that loads of them travel from all parts of the country today is a legacy of the 70's and the offspring of the 70's hooligans treading the path that Daddy thug trod back then (the idiot from Cheltenham the other year being aan example).

3 minutes ago, Albertowl said:

The Don Revie side appealed to every wanabee hooligan from all around the land back in the day, simple as that. Leeds fans in the 70's were invading pitches and tearing up trains every week and so if you wanted to be associated with the "hardest" firm, wherever you lived, it was a straight choice between Leeds, Chelsea or Miwaw, with Leeds being the biggest and most succesful by far. The fact that loads of them travel from all parts of the country today is a legacy of the 70's and the offspring of the 70's hooligans treading the path that Daddy thug trod back then (the idiot from Cheltenham the other year being aan example).

Yep agree with that in part.