Urhoghide

So they released him because he went above and beyond the fitness program they'd laid out for him?

How odd.

Suppose some coaching staff are sticklers for the rules, but still.

Edited by SiJ

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

So they released him because he went above and beyond the fitness program they'd laid out for him?

How odd.

Weird. Yet likes of Ronaldo and Lampard are used as examples to young players as players who surpassed their natural ability by working so hard and doing extra training etc

What's all this rubbish about " I don't think we should play him at Leeds or we should rest him for a few games"? fizz that you play your best players when they are available. If you are good enough you are old enough. This kid had nothing in the summer, now he has a big opportunity and the hunger, desire and application to go with it. He plays until injury or form states otherwise.

I love reading this bit.. seems we might have a player on our hands here boys and girls. 

He’d put me down as a reference and Sheffield Wednesday contacted me and asked ‘what’s wrong with him?’ It’s not often a young player like that just falls on your doorstep.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

What's all this rubbish about " I don't think we should play him at Leeds or we should rest him for a few games"? fizz that you play your best players when they are available. If you are good enough you are old enough. This kid had nothing in the summer, now he has a big opportunity and the hunger, desire and application to go with it. He plays until injury or form states otherwise.

Every confidence Monk will manage him correctly 

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

How odd.

...and ended up injured for 5 or 6 months.

2 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I love reading this bit.. seems we might have a player on our hands here boys and girls. 

He’d put me down as a reference and Sheffield Wednesday contacted me and asked ‘what’s wrong with him?’ It’s not often a young player like that just falls on your doorstep.”

Ian Knight is the only one I can recall in my 60 years as an Owl !

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Beholder said:

He is strong .

But when Palmer is fit he has to get the nod in my opinion. 

He's so much more experienced and much better on the ball.

I don't think Urhorghide is a completely trusted pass option at present. 

Tha knows what?   Sometimes you have to take a punt.

Palmer is a known entity, he's not changing or going away.   This kid could be the real deal, we won't know unless we give him a crack.

If it were me - Palmer over an exciting new youngster who's had a couple of cracks and not looked out of place?   Well, i'd be letting the new lad have his chance.

Only way he could injure himself that long was with weight training being too heavy or too prolonged realistically.

He'll know one of the big reasons kids don't make it is they aren't powerful enough, as discussed in the Alex Hunt thread.

Temptation must be there to overdo it but it's a harsh reality that if your out for half a season for not listening your in bother. Glad we got him.

14 hours ago, Sonny said:

...and ended up injured for 5 or 6 months.

Well yes, but for that to be the main reason for getting rid of him. 

I don't know, I'd have thought that his potential and talent would be weighted more than him overdoing it with his own training. 

Still...

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

He's been a breath of fresh air so far, lets hope he can continue in this vein, its a crying shame that our academy can't produce a player like this but AFC Wimbledons can.

I'm not sure he was at Wimbledon for too long

Fair enough they scouted and recruited him

But then so did we

Not many players go through the academy system at one club any more - recruitment is the biggest part of the academy system and fair do's to us if we picked up a gem for nothing

Who cares what system he developed at - looks like CB Hounslow FC in the Combined Counties League (about 5 divisions below league 2) was his grounding in the game 

Wimbledon didn't develop him but they did give him a chance

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Well yes, but for that to be the main reason for getting rid of him. 

I don't know, I'd have thought that his potential and talent would be weighted more than him overdoing it with his own training. 

Still...

Clubs like Wimbledon live hand to mouth - they simply cannot afford to pay wages to players who are out long term

They have a tiny first team squad and need everybody to contribute

At times such clubs will release players - but their finances cannot allow them to keep players who aren't contributing

99.9% of the time the players they release will drift out of the game

maybe for once we have struck lucky at their misfortune

Great to see the lad come through and have such an impressive Professional debut and league debut too. Sure he’s a lot to learn and that learning curve will be steep but assuming we’re patient and he is too no reason why he can’t go from strength to strength and make a first team spot his. 

He has a naivety to his game, that I’m sure through playing more, being around first team more and watching from bench more he’ll learn very quickly when to go down under heavy challenge or when to hit a safe long ball rather than a tricky/risky pass. That you can learn, what you can’t learn is his athleticism and power, which he seems to have in Abundance.