Urhoghide

He will want to play games and want to stay in the 1st team, if hes fit and he's playing well he should play. Simple as that for me. The coaching team and monk will be keeping an eye on him... so for me.. if hes fit, playing well he gets played.

Edited by MrTacoSWFC

1 hour ago, cowl said:

After last week, I thought he looked pretty solid but no frills, and unlikely to be the sort to venture forward much.

But today we saw the signs of the qualities that may well mark him out as having more than just a fill-in roll when injuries dictate.

Today he showed the precisely the kind of will to get forward on a number of occasions that we've crying out from our full backs.

It's early days for him, and he still needs to learn the full back position of course (as a few times he was caught out a little), but it's a very promising start for him.

He was naively very attack minded, i'm sure we will knock that out of him!

• Haha 1

We often bemoan the fact that we don’t find these type of players that other teams seem to uncover, well it looks as if we’ve found one For some clubs, Norwich for instance, there’s a well trodden path for these inner city London lads, often released by other clubs. Looks like we are now looking to do the same with the likes of Urhoghide, who’s now broken through, and Dawodu and Hagan following a similar path So impressed with how he’s taken to first team football, well done lad

I understand where people are coming from when they say you need to protect new talens emerging like this, but here is the thing.

Others expose them and they become wonderkids - or in the case of our neighbours they use them and make a massive profit from them.

This kid today, and by all accounts against Brighton too - was not a bit part, he wasn't making up the numbers - he actually genuinely contributed.

Give him  a chance.   It's not the Wednesday way, but maybe we should change that?

50 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

He will want to play games and want to stay in the 1st team, if hes fit and he's playing well he should play. Simple as that for me. The coaching team and monk will be keeping an eye on him... so for me.. if hes fit, playing well he gets played.

Absolutely this. What message does it send out to him if he's fit after a great performance away at top of the league? What message does it send to the other youngsters at the club? What message does it say to lesser performing players if they just walz back in? 

Play him, if he starts to struggle that's when you take him out and away from pressure, he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders and would understand. Not when you've come in and been one of the better players and not conceded a goal yet. 

Played better today than he did against Brighton

Had a couple of great bursts forward

Couple of sticky bits too, but just got up and got on with it

Quick feet for a big lad

I'd keep playing him, Monk will know when he needs a break

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Ferkorf
1 hour ago, cowl said:

After last week, I thought he looked pretty solid but no frills, and unlikely to be the sort to venture forward much.

But today we saw the signs of the qualities that may well mark him out as having more than just a fill-in roll when injuries dictate.

Today he showed the precisely the kind of will to get forward on a number of occasions that we've crying out from our full backs.

It's early days for him, and he still needs to learn the full back position of course (as a few times he was caught out a little), but it's a very promising start for him.

Absolutely this!!!! Well said!

Sod the premier loans who invariably disappoint

This is the type of signing we need to be recruiting - not easy but to say our recruitment has taken a bit of a panning on here recently then nobody can argue with this lad

Very impressive

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Far far too early to big him up.

His fitness also looked questionable.

That said, well done young man. There is a full back shirt with your name on it. Grab it.

Wish rest of team had his fitness!  The lad is up and down that wing all game. His bound to feel it at end nerves and a high tempo game. It's early days  but I think he will only grow as being a first team play comes the norm 

2 hours ago, prowl said:

He's a good lad but I'd give him maybe one more game then rest him for a couple. It's easy to burn players out when they just break through, they give everything every time they get on the pitch in an attempt to impress.

Just let him catch his breath then maybe 3 or 4 more games

I completely fell out with this approach 20 odd years ago when David Pleat used just that rationale to justify dropping Ritchie Humphreys after his sensational start to the 1996-97 season.  Top of the Premiership after four straight wins but that was as good as it got. Humphreys was never the same player again.

5 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Wish rest of team had his fitness!  The lad is up and down that wing all game. His bound to feel it at end nerves and a high tempo game. It's early days  but I think he will only grow as being a first team play comes the norm 

We can but hope.

Haven't had full backs worthy of our shirt since Roly, Kingy and Irish.

Fingers crossed for the lad. It's his shirt to claim.

19 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Far far too early to big him up.

His fitness also looked questionable.

That said, well done young man. There is a full back shirt with your name on it. Grab it.

It's not questionable, it's lacking - and quite rightly so.     He is not up to speed on the fitness required for Championship football.

Come on give the kid a bloody break - he's done absolutely outstanding and you bring his fitness up?    19 year old, in his 2nd competitive game.

Bravo.

• Like 1