Foxy Desire

1 minute ago, striker said:

Take your point, wasn't eluding to them.

Thinking about Rhodes, Nuhiu and Winnall to a lesser degree. Dont recall them making serious attempts to close down defenders, it's like walking football at times. 

I think Rhodes tries but simply doesn’t have the pace to hurry them. Nuhiu closes down really well, but no way is he chasing back 50/60 yards. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

I think Rhodes tries but simply doesn’t have the pace to hurry them. Nuhiu closes down really well, but no way is he chasing back 50/60 yards. 

I'll  agree to disagree on that one. Can accept the lack of pace, but Fox isn't exactly rapid, yet his desire to work for the team over 60 yards is evident. Often forwards have 20-30 yards to close down a defender and still struggle. 

It's all about perception, but I dont see that from Rhodes or Nuhiu.

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Monk talks a lot about desire. Desire to work hard. 

Well what a great example of that from the Brighton game from Morgan Fox.

Here's Morgan, oft accused of not getting forward enough screaming for the pass from Reach on the far side of the Brighton penalty box.

image.png.4b1e7f775d4d2a07dccc743c6b0654ad.png

Reach ignores him and tries to beat his man. 

We lose the ball. 

Who puts an end to the Brighton attack getting in the block at the other end. Morgan Fox....

https://media.giphy.com/media/WQIJD35OMasJ0Wl65e/giphy.gif

...who's absolutely run his nads off tracking him man the length of the pitch to keep that clean sheet.

That's desire. You can have all the skill in the world but you also have to have balls and drive in this game.

Well doe Foxy 

Thats all we ask for!! Love that Fox has proved himself. 

You could never accuse him of not trying even when he looked poor at the start of his Wednesday career. Think it was more down to fitness him looking so slow and sluggish. 
But fair play to him that extra training he was doing in the summer has definitely paid off. 

3 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

You could never accuse him of not trying even when he looked poor at the start of his Wednesday career. Think it was more down to fitness him looking so slow and sluggish. 
But fair play to him that extra training he was doing in the summer has definitely paid off. 

It might have something to do with it but I think Monk has given him a boost somehow, totally different player 

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Don't know how I ballsed the link up.

But anyway...

giphy.gif

The thing I take most from that is look at Urhoghide, not even in the picture at the start, then he's back in position ahead of their player at a canter, hard to tell from one game but he looks like everything we need at RB!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Maybe its an indication of the amount of slackers we have had to watch over the last few years that people are spaffing about someone sprinting 1 length of the pitch, but surely this kind of thing is the bare minimum you should expect ?

That is true.
But virtually every week on MOTD, Shearer or some analyst is castigating someone for allowing a tap in through failing to track back from the half way line. Slackers are to be seen everywhere, even the Prem. It’s so easy to switch off.

But bog standard, oft criticised, championship player Fox didn't switch off or slack, sprinting virtually the length of the pitch. And it saved a goal. It’s worth flagging up and praising, because to be sure, he’d be getting criticised had he been jogging back 20 yards behind play as it was tapped in.

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Maybe its an indication of the amount of slackers we have had to watch over the last few years that people are spaffing about someone sprinting 1 length of the pitch, but surely this kind of thing is the bare minimum you should expect ?

Indeed we should. It should be the prerequisite for playing. 

But so often players make a half hearted effort for two yards and then slow into a jog and the wave for someone else to do it. 

We see it at every level of the game. Some players are 'too cool to run'.

Just thought I'd highlight this as it comes under the heading of Unseen Work and that so many miss.

Much like Pelupessy being 'invisible' last week, when in fact his tireless running, closing and blocking of passing angles stopped countless Brighton attacks at source . Affecting the play without even having the ball. The shiite jobs off the ball that help the team get results,  whilst the ball players get the headlines

Just making sure he well done are more evenly handed out. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Perhaps we should give all our players rolling one year contracts as they seem to perform so much better near the end of them. Fox has been really impressive the last few months whereas up to last summer most supporters would have been happy to see him go. Similar situation with Nuhiu a couple of years ago.

42 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Indeed we should. It should be the prerequisite for playing. 

But so often players make a half hearted effort for two yards and then slow into a jog and the wave for someone else to do it. 

We see it at every level of the game. Some players are 'too cool to run'.

Just thought I'd highlight this as it comes under the heading of Unseen Work and that so many miss.

Much like Pelupessy being 'invisible' last week, when in fact his tireless running, closing and blocking of passing angles stopped countless Brighton attacks at source . Affecting the play without even having the ball. The shiite jobs off the ball that help the team get results,  whilst the ball players get the headlines

Just making sure he well done are more evenly handed out. 

TBF i have seen Liam Palmer be guilty of that exact thing on many occasions.

Fair play to Fox for improving this year, but i still think that some of the comments about him this year are over-generous , which is probably a reaction to the amount of stick he has received in the past.

Call me an old cynic Snoots but after 2 and a half years of, lets be honest, some awful to below average displays he has come on leaps and bounds..........which is very reminiscent of Nuhiu,s purple patch 2 years ago...................when he was also due to be out of contract :biggrin:.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I posted a similar clip on Twitter just after the game, the quality wasn't as good as this though

I would have posted it on here, but the site won't let me post video's I've taken on my phone

I'm glad you've posted it, because some people don't appreciate how often Fox gets blocks in, or the effort he puts in

Even when a lot of people were criticising him, he was still getting his blocks in, maybe he's not as eye catching as some other players, but he's a bloody good defender

It's nice to see some people are watching the same game as I am

That’s all well and good but you know full well there has to be a scapegoat