Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

Might be worth a go if the deal works financially, but a bit of a risk. Wikipedia shows 233 club appearances and 50 goals. His best spell was his second loan with us. However, he’s had a lot of injuries and a lot of his appearances will have been as a substitute. 

It is a bit of a punt. On one hand a fondly remembered fans’ favourite with something to prove. At 26 probably has one last chance to show he can do it at a good level. On the other hand an injury prone player with a mediocre scoring record.

if we get his let’s hope he comes good.

If we're to keep our season alive we've got to these striker signings just right.

Since we're not in a position to bring in the requisite quality with the least risk of failure, whoever we do bring in will be a questionable risk.

With Wickham, it's obviously his fitness record rather than his ability that would represent the risk factor.

I'd be happy for us to bring Wickham in on loan. In the absence of a better alternative, it seems like a decent gamble to me.

If he comes, and slots straight into the Fletcher role, it will be a wasted opportunity. At his best, he could be an upgrade on Fletcher, able to link with more creative partners. Unfortunately, we have still to identify who those players might be

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's like shola ameobi too good for championship maybe not good enough for premier league

That's what I'm hoping (if we sign him). Billy Blunt scored shed loads in the championship and cant get a shirt in the prem. It's all about how Wickham's recovered from his injuries and it doesnt seem he's had much opportunity to prove himself yet.

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Well that’s a given obviously 

For me, potentially anyway, he would allow us to adopt a more expansive style He would give us the physical presence that Fletcher gives us, but could also provide a foil for a more technical player. This hopefully will allow us to make more of Bannan’s skills That’s my hope anyway, I feel our attacking approach is too one dimensional

With something to prove, he could be a very good signing for this level. He'd come with risks but if he can manage to stay fit and can give us what we will miss with Fletcher out and more, plus if we can also get a more mobile partner as well, then we might not miss Fletcher as much as we fear. If possible I'd bring in two strikers, one to replace Fletcher and someone to offer us some pace upfront. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

51 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For me, potentially anyway, he would allow us to adopt a more expansive style He would give us the physical presence that Fletcher gives us, but could also provide a foil for a more technical player. This hopefully will allow us to make more of Bannan’s skills That’s my hope anyway, I feel our attacking approach is too one dimensional

You can only work with the tools you have , you have been very critical of Monk even though he is working with other people’s players and the constraints he is working under 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

You can only work with the tools you have , you have been very critical of Monk even though he is working with other people’s players and the constraints he is working under 

Maybe, but now he has the opportunity to change things. 

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, but now he has the opportunity to change things. 

In reality he can’t change things too much in this window. Even if he could he’d be a fool to do so in the middle of the season with no time to integrate whole sale changes. 

What he can do at the moment is spot changes and tweaks that allow for continuation of what he’s achieved so far with potential of better quality, more ability and greater options To formations. 

But until he’s bombed out the highly paid, never played players like Fessi, Westwood, Moses, Rhodes, Winnal and some of the other more played but aging / expensive players like Fletch, Hutch, etc we won’t have funds/clout to bring in any real quality. 

Im really excited about how we’ll look next season. So many changes over the summer coming up (I hope). 

• Like 1