Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

Its a big if, but if we do sign him and if Conor is over his cruciate problems, our ex England fitness expert might be able to get him playing more regularly and up his price for Palace. He has til summer 2021 with them, so we need a pre-contract agreement and price for his value now, otherwise we could end up in a bidding war, or end up paying OTT for him.

1 hour ago, oz_owl said:

This.  Played just over 50 games in the SIX years since he was with us.  And scored 11 goals.  Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a good signing (particularly if we're paying nothing!), but it's so long ago that he had that great spell with us...

Yes, he had a calf injury at the beginning of 2018 season and a bad ruptured cruciate before that in May '16, that kept him out for nearly 6 months...

But to be fair to him, he's not been injured since June 2018.  Match fit?  No...probably not for a lot of it...back in October Hodgson said he's "got to prove his fitness before he is picked", but he wasn't 'injured'.  Just because he's been in and out of the Palace squad for 18 months, doesn't mean he's been injured all the time.

Guest oz_owl
Just now, Suzuki_San said:

Yes, he had a calf injury at the beginning of 2018 season and a bad ruptured cruciate before that in May '16, that kept him out for nearly 6 months...

But to be fair to him, he's not been injured since June 2018.  Match fit?  No...probably not for a lot of it...back in October Hodgson said he's "got to prove his fitness before he is picked", but he wasn't 'injured'.  Just because he's been in and out of the Palace squad for 18 months, doesn't mean he's been injured all the time.

Wasn't saying he was injured.  Just that he hadn't played much.  In a long time.  For various reasons.  And I was a little surprised how long ago it was since he played for us...doesn't feel like 6 years ago.

If we can keep biscuit knees Hutch relatively fit over the course of a season I’d have hopes we can do the same with Wickham. He would be EXACTLY the type of striker we need and the prospect excites me. If we could get Lee playing like he did back in the old days as well then getting the band back together could be an inspired move by Monk.