Jump to content

Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Need to get that deal over the line or we will miss out. Perhaps it is dependent on someone stumping up the cash for Rhodes.

It can’t be the case, given our summer manoeuvrings We might like that to be the scenario, but it won’t be dependent on it Whatever extra cost we take on, can be readjusted in the summer, when some big earners will be leaving

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Rhodes is like the proverbial millstone around our neck. Single biggest disaster signing by DC (but of course it was our fault). 

Rhodes is costing us £4M per year, part transfer amortisation and the rest wages. (Estimate obv.) We reportedly lost £50M in the last accounts. 

 

Rhodes is only a small part of the problem. I know he contributes little but we did shift out some of the dead wood last summer.

 

If moving Rhodes on lets us bring in Wickham I'm all for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem with shipping Rhodes out isn't necessarily that DC wants too much per se but unless you get a certain amount for him (particularly on any purchase) he actually ends up damaging the accounts due to apportionment based on how much his value has plummeted.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It can’t be the case, given our summer manoeuvrings We might like that to be the scenario, but it won’t be dependent on it Whatever extra cost we take on, can be readjusted in the summer, when some big earners will be leaving

So far we have two out for fees. Think we will be working on more before taking on a big loan wage.  Think if it wasnt the case we must shift players first then Wickham would already be here. Think we may have tried to get a cheaper deal on him when realising Wigan were only willing to pay about 25% on Rhodes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Rhodes is like the proverbial millstone around our neck. Single biggest disaster signing by DC (but of course it was our fault). 


What he did in 16/17 and 17/18 mean very little now. In 19/20 he has 3 goals in 460 minutes. OK they were in one game but why not give him the benefit of the doubt? 
 

To me he still looks the most likely of our 3 healthy strikers to score regularly. He is making good runs and getting on the end of the few crosses we execute.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bottler Owl said:

I think the problem with shipping Rhodes out isn't necessarily that DC wants too much per se but unless you get a certain amount for him (particularly on any purchase) he actually ends up damaging the accounts due to apportionment based on how much his value has plummeted.

Doesn’t that just show how unfit for purpose the rules are? The “idea” is to prevent clubs spending beyond their means, yet the rules actually lead clubs to hold on to wasteful, unproductive assets. (Sorry Jordan, I’m speaking hypothetically here :ph34r:).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Doesn’t that just show how unfit for purpose the rules are? The “idea” is to prevent clubs spending beyond their means, yet the rules actually lead clubs to hold on to wasteful, unproductive assets. (Sorry Jordan, I’m speaking hypothetically here :ph34r:).

 

No arguments here!

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Doesn’t that just show how unfit for purpose the rules are? The “idea” is to prevent clubs spending beyond their means, yet the rules actually lead clubs to hold on to wasteful, unproductive assets. (Sorry Jordan, I’m speaking hypothetically here :ph34r:).

 

Yeah need a whole new look at how football is run, everything seems to be about how much money you can make as quickly as possible instead of looking after the players career. 

 

Football needs to look at 

FFP

Agents 

Loan market

Young players development

 

I'm sure others can add to the list

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

He wouldn’t start for them, they play one up front, and like Nketiah, he doesn’t work hard enough

that's where they're faulting, they're making their chances 'cos of the numbers they have in m/f, then they have to play someone up top who can hold the ball up, BUT he's short on goals for himself.

so you decide to go 2 up top, and you've lost that numbers superiority you had in m/f and aren't making the chances anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

that's where they're faulting, they're making their chances 'cos of the numbers they have in m/f, then they have to play someone up top who can hold the ball up, BUT he's short on goals for himself.

so you decide to go 2 up top, and you've lost that numbers superiority you had in m/f and aren't making the chances anymore.

Us also All our midfielders are better in a three We either just use one winger, and two strikers, or go with just the one striker. My option would be to play a striker as one of the wide players Obviously none of those we have available now, probably only Forestieri could play that role, or bring one in

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Us also All our midfielders are better in a three We either just use one winger, and two strikers, or go with just the one striker. My option would be to play a striker as one of the wide players Obviously none of those we have available now, probably only Forestieri could play that role, or bring one in

forwards have to be able to move laterally to pull defenders, for me the second forward off fletcher or wickham has to have more speed over 15/30 yards than ff, but i'll stand being wrong if I am.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing a speedy wideman into the middle to feed off the c/f.

speed scares defenders to death, especially slower moving c/b's with next to **** all behind them, but they hope that when the c/b drops him like dawson at 'ull dropped ff then the incompetent arsehole of a referee makes the correct decision.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...