Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We are dealing in loans If we want experience, which we generally do, then the options are generally outcasts, or players returning from injury. It’s a risk, but as we’ve seen with Fletcher, they can add something if they can stay fit

I totally agree with you and said as much earlier in this forum, but the more I think about the more I believe we really should stop trying these short term solutions unless the odds are much higher in our favour. As far as Connor Wickham is concerned I really don't think they are.

Yes but Fletcher has always suffered from fitness issues since his arrival and Connor Wickham has not been able to play enough games to get through one full season with us in all the 4 or 5 seasons he has had since he left us. We cannot afford decent young players apparently, but at least if they haven't gone three times round the clock, they may be able to turn out and do a job for us without us having a squad of 30 or 40 mediocre, old injury prone players that everybody has heard of but are rarely capable of even warming a seat on the bench! If we cannot afford decent players we definitely cannot afford players 28 or over with huge injury doubts and bad injury records. I would rather see us buy one decent player, then loan younger players that can actually make a difference, rather than Murphy, Bates and so on, that are just not good enough. If that is not possible then play our under 23s, because some of them are ready as we have seen with the young right back who was a virtual unknown until last weekend and if they do not turn out to be good enough, let them go and get some others in who are good enough. 

Again I think it is mostly due to our scouting of players at all levels, but we only ever seem to pick up players who are unwanted where they are, or have been rejected for whatever reason. One thing Gary Megson and his old man were very good at was spotting players that could come in and do a good job for us. We need scouts that can spot good players and if the u23 coaches are not capable of getting them ready for our first team, maybe that needs looking at too because, big surprise, but none of DC's short term ideas have worked up to now. If we are not going to start making some long term plans for bringing in better players, or bringing promising young talent on so that they can come into our first team, we are going to be jumped up and down on by the EFL until we collapse and our recent problems with them will be a like a walk in the park. DC and his wonderful advisers have not even bothered to look at how we failed in the past and ended up in such a bad way since falling from the prem. We can no longer keep hoping that mediocre players can be brought in and find some random magic formula for success. Success is built not won in a raffle and we have been very bad at planning our success for a long long time. 

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

After having time to reflect on the possible signing of Wickham the following doubts have crept in.

If Wickham had never played for us would we be so eager to sign him?  Taking into consideration his injury record and lack of playing time.

Wouldn't we all be accusing the club of taking another gamble on a players fitness? 

As it’s just a loan I think it’s alright. 
Hopefully the plan is to sign Wickham and at least another attacking player on loan this window. 
It would be a bigger crime if we handed Wickham a 3 year deal on 55k PW 

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

As it’s just a loan I think it’s alright. 
Hopefully the plan is to sign Wickham and at least another attacking player on loan this window. 
It would be a bigger crime if we handed Wickham a 3 year deal on 55k PW 

We cannot loan players for just a month or two, it has to be to the end of the season doesn't it? If he is going to have time out injured it doesn't make too much difference whether we are signing him, or taking him on loan, as far as this season is concerned, not unless Palace are going to pay all his wages and why would they do that? It's no great gamble for them to be fair if they have a fit and able replacement, but we would still need a striker that can play for at least the next two months and we would be better off concentrating on that striker and having him play as many games as possible for us when he does come, rather than trying to get Connor fit again for Palace.

14 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I totally agree with you and said as much earlier in this forum, but the more I think about the more I believe we really should stop trying these short term solutions unless the odds are much higher in our favour. As far as Connor Wickham is concerned I really don't think they are.

Yes but Fletcher has always suffered from fitness issues since his arrival and Connor Wickham has not been able to play enough games to get through one full season with us in all the 4 or 5 seasons he has had since he left us. We cannot afford decent young players apparently, but at least if they haven't gone three times round the clock, they may be able to turn out and do a job for us without us having a squad of 30 or 40 mediocre, old injury prone players that everybody has heard of but are rarely capable of even warming a seat on the bench! If we cannot afford decent players we definitely cannot afford players 28 or over with huge injury doubts and bad injury records. I would rather see us buy one decent player, then loan younger players that can actually make a difference, rather than Murphy, Bates and so on, that are just not good enough. If that is not possible then play our under 23s, because some of them are ready as we have seen with the young right back who was a virtual unknown until last weekend and if they do not turn out to be good enough, let them go and get some others in who are good enough. 

Again I think it is mostly due to our scouting of players at all levels, but we only ever seem to pick up players who are unwanted where they are, or have been rejected for whatever reason. One thing Gary Megson and his old man were very good at was spotting players that could come in and do a good job for us. We need scouts that can spot good players and if the u23 coaches are not capable of getting them ready for our first team, maybe that needs looking at too because, big surprise, but none of DC's short term ideas have worked up to now. If we are not going to start making some long term plans for bringing in better players, or bringing promising young talent on so that they can come into our first team, we are going to be jumped up and down on by the EFL until we collapse and our recent problems with them will be a like a walk in the park. DC and his wonderful advisers have not even bothered to look at how we failed in the past and ended up in such a bad way since falling from the prem. We can no longer keep hoping that mediocre players can be brought in and find some random magic formula for success. Success is built not won in a raffle and we have been very bad at planning our success for a long long time. 

We need a striker to replace Fletcher. at present we seem to have the option of Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes or Wickham. Posters are terrified of leaving it up to the first 3 so at present Wickham is the best option. I have no idea how much his loan is going to cost. I don't remember any figures being mentioned.

If Wickham gets injured we have to fall back on the first 3 so we are no worse off other than financially which we can't quantify. I know if he gets injured everyone will scream 'told you so'  but players do get injured all the time so who knows if it is down to him being injury prone or just him being a player.

• Like 2

Seems likelier to happen now Palace have secured Tosun from Everton. A decent loan replacement for Fletch - good football brain and link up play and opponents know they've been in a game.  Obviously, we could also do with some shipping out to see how far we can go in acquiring someone with pace with the potential to get better over time.