Kanye West

Odubajo told he can leave

Never looked like the sort of player I thought he was going to be

Hopefully Murphy next who has been much worse than Odubajo.

• Disagree 1

No complaints from me on this one. 
Agree with an earlier post that Bruce cleared off and left him a little exposed but his calamitous defending just can’t continue. He’s cost us points already and would cost us more. 

Interesting one. Seems like we're taking a sensible approach.

Try and shift those out who are capable but culpable to letting us down. Odubjao fits that perfectly and at 26, he'll have another chance at this level. Just like Jordan Rhodes, and possibly Sam Winnall.

Fact other teams around us have snapped up various players already, tells us our financial position. 

Let's hope we can find someone who will give him contract he's happy with ....

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I do find it funny how everyone now believes he was at fault for the penalty at Derby, whilst after the game everyone was pretty vocal that it was a foul on Odubajo.

More wonderful Owlstalk revisionism.

Also amusing is that this ruthlessness towards a 26 year old seasoned Championship full back gets applauded where as the sale of a subpar 23 year old clogger - who was never going to make it here - was met with howls of derision

Just shows the different standards fans hold perceived ‘academy products’ to. If Fox had been playing like Palmer has been he would have been chased out of town

His poor positioning put himself in the predicament he found himself in at derby in the first place. should never have got himself in a position like he did and the striker took advantage.

hes not a seasoned championship full back either - he’s had two seasons in the championship before getting injured and subsequently released by a championship club.

Posted (edited)

Slept on this one, and whilst I agree the right thing is to cut losses with this signing, i'm also of the opinion that Odubajo was a known entity for Bruce.

We saw no evidence that a full change of formation was on the cards, but maybe he realised he did not have the personnel to affect this, and Odubajo was one of the players to utilise to try to effect this change.    I also don't agree that signing two wingers means this can't be the case.      I think we've all seen that Murphy and Harris, Harris more so - can be hot and cold and need pushing.    Was Murphy even signed by Bruce?    Anyway, I reckon if so they were probably supposed to challenge each other for the same spot - not be on opposing wings at the same time.

Odubajo has proved he can be wing back on either flank, and is probably our only player currently who can be an effective wing back at all, so this pretty much means we go with a flat back 4 for the rest of the season, if not longer - a formation he can't really fit into.

Edited by Salmonbones

17 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Doing some proper homework should have told us exactly what we were signing Yes all signings are a lottery, but you can mitigate against this type of thing, by doing a bit of basic research

I think Bruce knows the lad better than we do, he seemed to have a decent season last year for Brentford, and given we had flip all to spend, he was a reasonable free transfer punt.

16 hours ago, Grassy knoll said:

I’m more shocked that the Sheffield Star actually had an exclusive 

Expect Odubajo to sign a new 4 year contract tomorrow!

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Defensively we’ve been Ok, until the last few games Our issues are further forward

When you're a defensive side, even average defenders look great with all the extra protection they get. Also impacts on how forceful an attack is when they get little support. I like that Monk is starting at the back and getting a solid foundation, but at some point he'll have to work us going forward and I believe that's when average defenders get exposed.

Posted (edited)

Could end up in Israel

Due to our contract situation it could lead to an exodus 

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Could end up in Israel

Due to our contract situation it could lead to an exodus 

Don't think so; you're in deNile 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

He’s not a 442 player is he? More a wing back. It’s a shame as I’ve liked him elsewhere.

I think there must be other reasons too though, he’s clearly not settled here. Costing his team results in the process.

Edited by Bluesteel

Odubajo a player I've wanted us to sign for years, signed by a manager I've wanted to manage us for years, I really should stop forming opinions on players/managers it never ends well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I was a supporter of Odubajo's signing and I suspect he would have been a different player under the cabbage, but it seems like he's a square peg in a round hole here now. He's an attacking wing back/winger, we don't play with wing backs, we have players ahead of him in the winger department and he's shown that he isn't any good at playing fullback. Probably the correct decision to try and move him on.

Edited by Minton

4 minutes ago, Minton said:

I was a supporter of Odubajo's signing and I suspect he would have been a different player under the cabbage, but it seems like he's a square peg in a round hole here now. He's an attacking wing back/winger, we don't play with wing backs, we have players ahead of him in the winger department and he's shown that he isn't any good at playing fullback. Probably the correct decision to try and move him on.

Given how awful Murphy`s form has been i would have expected us to at least have tried Odubajo in a more advanced position.

Nearly all the comments on here about him were along the lines of "poor defensively , decent going forward"

Posted (edited)

He'd put in a million more times the amount of effort Murphy puts in that's for sure.

Edited by uɐıɹɐqɯıɹ⅁

The headline wording 'Odubbajo told he can leave' would suggest that the player has instigated the proceedings and not the club.

10 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Was Murphy even signed by Bruce?

My guess is he is part or all of compensation for the Brucey and his pals debacle 

On 08/01/2020 at 17:19, striker said:

Pretty harsh, but he's not looked comfortable at RB and no sign Monk planning to play with wing backs, which I think would suit him.

Harsh? He has already given away 3 pens this year and been caught out with at least one huge mistake per game.

He is basically an athlete who is a marginal football player.

The right footed Jeremy Helan.