The Football Bubble: How television changed football and how the crash of ITV Digital led to problems for EFL clubs

The problem has never been Sky money. More how the owners were allowed to spend the money. 

The EPL always wanted to restrict availability of games in the UK, whilst the likes of Virgin were making legal arguments that all should be available. 

Be interesting how the Amazon Prime experiment went. Because if people did watch then they could bid for more rights next time

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Even though I was 17 at the time ITV Digital collapsed, I have no real recollection of it for some reason - I think this was around the time my interest in football was waning and I was finding other interests more appealing. Whilst I still attended some games, i certainly wasn't reading up on the game or following the wider issues such as this.

This was a pretty useful primer on the subject.

Most people who lived through it and avidly followed it don't know a lot about it to be fair.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

The 72 teams in the football league should have gotten together and sued the EFL for failing to protect our interests.

Another shambles by an organisation that's not fit to govern us.

The 72 clubs ARE the EFL.

They'd be suing themselves in that scenario.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, prowl said:

Is football that popular?

A lot of the younger people I come across have little interest in actually watching games, they have too many other pass times to distract them. In my day we were restricted to football, fishing, drinking and chasing girls, now there is so much more to do that football just doesn't seem to be a priority for many. In Brighton where I lived for many years the older people were interested in football, same with the middle aged but the under 25's just weren't that bothered.

People who are interested in football are fanatical, those that aren't really don't give a stuff, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground anymore.

Maybe it's just my age or the areas I've lived in. There does seem to be a bit of a north south divide.

Probably more football is watched overall but that's because Sky allows fans to overdose on the game. Constant matches to watch with the staggered kick offs where before you either went to games or watched an hour of match of the day. Fewer fans watching many more games on TV.

To be honest I've no interest in watching Premiership games or most Championship games and I detest Sky with a vengeance.

I think for a lot of da kids today it’s not just the game it’s a lot to do with the “bling” culture surrounding it and the aspiration of wealth based on skills rather than knowledge. The great thing about football is that anyone from any background can be successful and the rise of social media have made these superstars (who as people are just like us) accessible to a whole generation who can and will be treated as mates by the footballer. Throw in the time honoured feeling of being part of a “tribe” and being able to take your everyday anger and frustration out in a mass demonstration of support for your team / hostility towards the opposition. To have a Liverpool/city/spurs/chelsea etc badge is to identify yourself with success and in turn project that image of success as your own. So whilst I believe there are more “fans” in a lot of cases their interest is mainly superficial.

or summat

Edited by Yellowbelly

3 hours ago, Ian_D said:

Did anybody actually pay for ITV Digital?

Well yes I was one of the few. Not all was lost. Still got that free monkey thing they gave upon joining ( star of Pg tips ads) which passed down to the kids.

Serious question: is that the longest owlstalk topic title ever?

3 hours ago, prowl said:

A lot of the younger people I come across have little interest in actually watching games, they have too many other pass times to distract them. In my day we were restricted to football, fishing, drinking and chasing girls, now there is so much more to do that football just doesn't seem to be a priority for many. In Brighton where I lived for many years the older people were interested in football, same with the middle aged but the under 25's just weren't that bothered.

People who are interested in football are fanatical, those that aren't really don't give a stuff, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground anymore.

Maybe it's just my age or the areas I've lived in. There does seem to be a bit of a north south divide.

Probably more football is watched overall but that's because Sky allows fans to overdose on the game. Constant matches to watch with the staggered kick offs where before you either went to games or watched an hour of match of the day. Fewer fans watching many more games on TV.

To be honest I've no interest in watching Premiership games or most Championship games and I detest Sky with a vengeance.

You lived in Brighton and they were into Football, fishing, drinking and "chasing girls".....not what I've heard about Brighton.... 

2 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

You lived in Brighton and they were into Football, fishing, drinking and "chasing girls".....not what I've heard about Brighton.... 

No I was brought up in Sheffield. The best pursuits for a Sheffield lad. Down south the ale is rubbish. the fishing isn't much better. As for the girls there's less competition for their favours in Brighton.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, prowl said:

Is football even that popular?

Have you ever visited earth pal?

I think football is still as popular as ever in this country its just that people "consume" it in a different way. 

I have mates who are football obsessed. They are always reading up on it they know stats and information on every aspect of the club they "support" but they would not dream of going to the stadium and actually watch them play. 

They all tend to support the usual suspects (Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs) weirdly one of my mates went to City relatively regularly before the money turned up but despite still supporting them has never been since they transformed into what they are now. 

I think with these money clubs because of the coverage they get and the accessibility of information on them you can still feel you are part of it without actually being part of it in the traditional sense. 

In terms of popularity, football has significantly permeated other leisure activities so is arguably more popular than ever.

Most local-style pubs now need to show SKY Sports to attract customers.

The biggest selling video game each year is FIFA.

Generally, sports - and in particular football - sections are the main sellers of most traditional newspapers.

Sports [Football] sections on news websites tend to be the most visited.

etc, etc.