The Football Bubble: How television changed football and how the crash of ITV Digital led to problems for EFL clubs

A good little video on how television changed football by pumping in excessive amounts of money, and what happened to Football League clubs when that bubble burst for them... something we're still reeling from the impact of (including Wednesday) and has had a profound effect on things like FFP:

• Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Isn't that illegal?  God I hate Sky

They did it throughout the world with competitors who set up rival pay broadcast companies.

A subsidiary of News Corp (SKY's owners) called NDS, who created the encryption for SKY, were also secretly tasked with cracking the encryption codes of rivals. They then uploaded the codes to hacking sites (some of which were owned by Murdoch's empire!) and paid hacking website owners to spread them - leading to pirated cards flooding the market.

There's some info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Digital#News_Corporation_hacking_allegations 

• Thanks 1

Is football that popular?

A lot of the younger people I come across have little interest in actually watching games, they have too many other pass times to distract them. In my day we were restricted to football, fishing, drinking and chasing girls, now there is so much more to do that football just doesn't seem to be a priority for many. In Brighton where I lived for many years the older people were interested in football, same with the middle aged but the under 25's just weren't that bothered.

People who are interested in football are fanatical, those that aren't really don't give a stuff, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground anymore.

Maybe it's just my age or the areas I've lived in. There does seem to be a bit of a north south divide.

Probably more football is watched overall but that's because Sky allows fans to overdose on the game. Constant matches to watch with the staggered kick offs where before you either went to games or watched an hour of match of the day. Fewer fans watching many more games on TV.

To be honest I've no interest in watching Premiership games or most Championship games and I detest Sky with a vengeance.

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

When our subbuteo players broke we used lego bricks as replacements, in time all the players ended up been lego bricks.  Made for a different game we nudged more than flicked.

Great days.

Wish we had computer stuff back then.

I thought I was the only person that did that.....

• Haha 1

Even though I was 17 at the time ITV Digital collapsed, I have no real recollection of it for some reason - I think this was around the time my interest in football was waning and I was finding other interests more appealing. Whilst I still attended some games, i certainly wasn't reading up on the game or following the wider issues such as this.

This was a pretty useful primer on the subject.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

Is football that popular?

A lot of the younger people I come across have little interest in actually watching games, they have too many other pass times to distract them. In my day we were restricted to football, fishing, drinking and chasing girls, now there is so much more to do that football just doesn't seem to be a priority for many. In Brighton where I lived for many years the older people were interested in football, same with the middle aged but the under 25's just weren't that bothered.

People who are interested in football are fanatical, those that aren't really don't give a stuff, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground anymore.

Maybe it's just my age or the areas I've lived in. There does seem to be a bit of a north south divide.

Probably more football is watched overall but that's because Sky allows fans to overdose on the game. Constant matches to watch with the staggered kick offs where before you either went to games or watched an hour of match of the day. Fewer fans watching many more games on TV.

To be honest I've no interest in watching Premiership games or most Championship games and I detest Sky with a vengeance.

Yes