EFL , FFP

1 hour ago, akbuk said:

Parachute payments for redundancy money only.

That is absolutely what should happen.

You get relegated. You can no longer afford the contracts. Okay, we (the PL) will pay them off. One off chance. If you don't go with it then you need to cut your cloth accordingly.

2 hours ago, Kameron said:

How can they scrap and start again when all clubs agree to what they’re signing up to.  It’s the clubs who need to start adhering to the rules instead of gambling. It’s like speeding we know the limits but many choose to try their luck, not point moaning it’s unfair because it ain’t gunna change.

You are correct that certain clubs including our own have gambled and that certain clubs are not run as going concerns.
The beef I have with the EPL is around compliance. When your highest cost is your wage bill then in order to comply with P&S you must reduce your wage bill. However, if a player refuses to leave because the next club can’t match their wages because of P&S and you can’t pay off the contract because of P&S how are you expected to comply? Add to this that if you sell a player below his amortised value, you cannot count it as revenue I don’t understand how clubs with historical issues are supposed to comply, especially if high earners contracts do not expire within the arbitrary timeframe   

The EFL is a joke from top to bottom. Between FFP, which not only stops owners who have money putting it into the clubs, but is then rendered useless by the Premiers failure payments, to the "fit and proper persons test" for owners, which is laughable, and just lets everyone in regardless, leading to many clubs struggling to survive, like Coventry, Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield, Leyton orient, Bl;ackpool etc etc, which then the EFL refuse to actually try and help the clubs survive, even though it was the EFL who let these owners take over the clubs in the first place, it is one big joke of an organisation that is not fit for purpose. It almost makes FIFA look competent. 

1 hour ago, DeeJayOne said:

Not only do clubs agree to what they are signing up to - clubs ARE the EFL. The clubs, including Wednesday create and approve the rules.

I think a lot of people miss this point and don't know what the EFL is, or how it works, so just to go over it:

There are 72 shareholders in the EFL. The 72 Football League clubs. Including Wednesday.

The EFL is non-profit. Any monies created by the EFL is distributed amongst the clubs as shareholders in accordance with the provisions of the rules created and agreed upon by the clubs.

The rules of the EFL are created by the clubs, including Wednesday:

Of course it is a collective and any decisions regarding the rules and structure of the EFL made are formed from that collective as a whole (Wednesday get just one out of 72 votes, effectively), and the collective is in flux (clubs promoted/relegated in/out of the league means the membership changes year-on-year) but Wednesday were represented at meetings deciding the rules, and as far as I am aware agreed to any implemented rule changes in regard to FFP, Profit and Sustainability and anything else. I'm not aware of Wednesday being against the creation or implementation of those rules at any point.

If Wednesday want a change to the rules, they just have to propose it and successfully lobby enough other clubs to vote to implement that change.

The clubs collectively sanction the EFL as a central representative of that collective to enforce the rules, to maintain integrity of the competition and the membership.

That said, the dispute Wednesday have commenced isn't actually about the league's rules:

From what I understand the action Wednesday are taking is actually about 'advice' given by the EFL over the sale of the ground rather than around the rules themselves. I suspect that the EFL's argument will be that the rules are the rules, as members create the rules they [EFL] aren't in a position to 'sanction' such sales and can only enforce rules after the fact, and that Wednesday as a part owner of the EFL and part creator of those rules should (and would) have known the rules for themselves... they will probably argue that Wednesday's argument proves we were knowingly trying to circumvent the rules to gain an advantage over the other owner-members of the league against the spirit of the rules, the competition and the integrity of the whole membership structure.

Objectively, It is hard to see how Wednesday come out of this well to be honest. A sympathetic judge/arbiter may see correspondence with the EFL as the regulatory body as somehow constituting advice, but will they go as far as to say it constitutes approval to go ahead? IANAL but personally, I doubt it (without seeing that correspondence and the full arguments, of course).

Without recordings og phone calls, emails, letters and transcripts of conversations it's impossible to say how it will end. The writer is in no better position than the rest of us.

18 minutes ago, prowl said:

Without recordings og phone calls, emails, letters and transcripts of conversations it's impossible to say how it will end. The writer is in no better position than the rest of us.

Indeed, as I stated in the last line of the paragraph you highlighted.

However, regarding position - having internal hands-on experience of both Sheffield Wednesday and the Football League, as well as having to have a decent understanding of the rules, policies/procedures, how it all works together and the proper roles of all involved I’d suggest maybe I’m in a slightly better position than most observers reading the forum perhaps?

Guest Ferkorf
5 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

You know this will happen only when (if) we get promoted and then relegated. It's just our luck. :bullen:

Nailed on mate!

Guest Kameron
1 hour ago, SiJ said:

You do realise that the EFL are bringing charges against Birmingham because they didn't sell Che Adams in January. 

Instead, Brum opted to sell him in the summer, because that would increase the transfer fee and the money received. 

So, for all intents and purposes, Brum are being charged for trying to bring more money into the football club. 

Going out of your way to be controversial as per usual. People are wising up to your act. 

Note you were awfully silent following Saturday's win, but no doubt you'll be calling Monk a clueless be11end if we slip up at Leeds. 

I don't get excited seeing us beat Brighton's reserves, Brum are being charged because they failed to carryout what was agreed with the EFL.  Just because they were deducted 9 points last season didn't mean that was the end of the matter, they're under constant scrutiny and have failed again to implement what they said they would do, the EFL cannot force Brum or anyone else to sell players they can only prevent them from signing players.

Edited by Kameron

1 hour ago, danblakemore said:

It'll all change when the clubs in the EFL decide they've had enough and apply to join the EPL as a second division.

Which is something I can see very soon.

Why would the prem clubs vote to level up the playing field while they hold all the aces. 

personally think it's all rediculous. What seems required to me is that clubs be required to post no loss in their accounts each year and are therefore debt free. Also no loans allowed from owners or owners companies. However if a club owner wants to pay in millions let them. as long as thier year end club debt is zero. Of course for capital expenditure allow legitimate business loans at market rates (for instance if building stands or facilities) . Parachute payments should be targeted at the wages of players on the clubs books on the day of relegation and only until the players contract is up or they leave the club.

Edited by owlfandbg

1 hour ago, danblakemore said:

It'll all change when the clubs in the EFL decide they've had enough and apply to join the EPL as a second division.

Which is something I can see very soon.

Agree and suspect informal talks are already under way

27 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Why would the prem clubs vote to level up the playing field while they hold all the aces. 

Just one example is that Leeds United's TV revenue is worth as much as many Premier teams abroad.

EPL is a money making organisation - at present do you think that teams such as Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford can generate the same income as Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland etc. ? The EPL would welcome these teams with open arms...

It will happen, the 'bigger' clubs wont stand for the EFL much longer.

4 hours ago, Burnsie said:

But isn't the parachute payments from the EPL? How'd you get around that?

Its quite simple. 

The relegated clubs are NOT allowed to include the failure payments as income in their accounts . That way the relegated clubs have to abide by the same £39 losses over three years like the rest of the championship clubs. This would stop those with failure payments from spending vast amounts on transfer fees and stupid wages in an effort to get promoted back to the prem at the first attempt. 

The failure payments should be forced to go into separate accounts and can only be used to pay up players contracts they cant afford to keep in the championship. 

It would be very simple to impose , but the EFL havnt got the balls to do it. 

1 hour ago, DeeJayOne said:

Indeed, as I stated in the last line of the paragraph you highlighted.

However, regarding position - having internal hands-on experience of both Sheffield Wednesday and the Football League, as well as having to have a decent understanding of the rules, policies/procedures, how it all works together and the proper roles of all involved I’d suggest maybe I’m in a slightly better position than most observers reading the forum perhaps?

My apologies. The point I was making was that without the evidence it is impossible to judge one way or another. Reading between the lines from comments by both sides it appears that there may be a dispute on 2 levels (maybe more). The first is that correspondence means one thing to one party and something different to the other. Without the actual letter memo etc. it's difficult to judge. Obviously the lawyers on both sides interpret things differently as lawyers always do.

The second seems to be that we told EFL somethings in our discussions which led them to believe one thing, when they got all the documentation they appear to think it showed something different. You need the documents themselves and transcripts to decide that.