Monk on Meltdowns!

Fortunately Monk has thicker skin than most of us put together.

Had it briefly with Bruce but its the first time I've had full confidence in a manager since Big Ron. He's got a bit of mongrel about him, something managers and our entire squad have been missing for a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, marcx666 said:

Nice to see he realises that it isn't the fact we lose that bothers people, it's how we lose.

Don't mind losing when they give their all. Cardiff and Hull was stuff of nightmares 

Edited by modboy

5 minutes ago, modboy said:

Don't mind losing when they give their all. Cardiff and Hull was stuff of nightmares 

Exactly this, for me it’s about application and pride!! Losing is part and parcel of football and it will happen but it’s how you lose. Losing 2-1 and throwing the kitchen sink at them is better than losing 1-0 and not giving it a go. 

Same as stoke Boxing Day...the press made a big deal of the fact that O’Neil made their lot train Xmas day and you could tell. They were quicker in every department, our lot looked like they were still sat around the dinner table!! They even struggled getting off the pitch at the final whistle. 

It is funny how on Boxing Day we were third and winning 2-1 in the 93rd minute, going 7 games unbeaten and closing the gap to 2nd to 5 points, then we seem to have imploded.  Yesterday was hopefully a reset button for the squad and we’ll return to winning ways. 

I was at the game yesterday and I feel Iorfa and Borner as the centre half’s and Luongo in midfield (without a hutch/Bannan) are some of the main reasons we play better. I like Monk, and I’m hoping he sees that too and makes some brave choices at Leeds. 

I think he's aware of the level of performance of the players bot being good enough last week.  Alluded to it himself. 

I think it's probably more aimed at people who think you are totally shiite at your job and calling for your sacking at the first genuine bump in the road.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

It is funny how on Boxing Day we were third and winning 2-1 in the 93rd minute, going 7 games unbeaten and closing the gap to 2nd to 5 points, then we seem to have imploded.  Yesterday was hopefully a reset button for the squad and we’ll return to winning ways. 

I was at the game yesterday and I feel Iorfa and Borner as the centre half’s and Luongo in midfield (without a hutch/Bannan) are some of the main reasons we play better. I like Monk, and I’m hoping he sees that too and makes some brave choices at Leeds. 

I’m hoping this too

Loungo, Lee and Bannan in midfield with Harris and Reach out wide next week hopefully 

By the same token, Garry, one win against an understrength Premier League side (albeit a morale boosting win) doesn't mask the fact we lost 3 completely winnable games against poor opposition on the trot, playing abmisally in each and with absolutely no tactical nous or application. 

The FA cup win doesn't hide the fact we showed no signs of looking anywhere like a playoff challenging side over Christmas and New Year and chucked away a real opportunity to kick on without showing any fight in those games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OwlAbroad said:

By the same token, Garry, one win against an understrength Premier League side (albeit a morale boosting win) doesn't mask the fact we lost 3 completely winnable games against poor opposition on the trot, playing abmisally in each and with absolutely no tactical nous or application. 

The FA cup win doesn't hide the fact we showed no signs of looking anywhere like a playoff challenging side over Christmas and New Year and chucked away a real opportunity to kick on without showing any fight in those games.

I take your point but I don't blame GM. It was the players that simply didn't turn up and give it a go. Wednesday will always lose plenty of games unfortunately but if the players give it everything then fair enough. They didn't however in those three games ( unlike yesterday when they were a joy to watch). I keep going on about it and neg away if you wish but until our players develop the mental strength to succeed, we won't.

14 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Exactly this, for me it’s about application and pride!! Losing is part and parcel of football and it will happen but it’s how you lose. Losing 2-1 and throwing the kitchen sink at them is better than losing 1-0 and not giving it a go. 

Same as stoke Boxing Day...the press made a big deal of the fact that O’Neil made their lot train Xmas day and you could tell. They were quicker in every department, our lot looked like they were still sat around the dinner table!! They even struggled getting off the pitch at the final whistle. 

Once read a report that extra training and long warming up procedures make little difference to a players performance.  All this warming up before the start of a game could be shortened considerably and helps conserve energy.   So long as a player was near their ultimate fitness  level it made little difference.   Have tried to find it but it was a few years ago.

Bringing them in the day before may have helped them to bond better or could have worked on tactics.   Just thought I would throw it into the mix.

19 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Once read a report that extra training and long warming up procedures make little difference to a players performance.  All this warming up before the start of a game could be shortened considerably and helps conserve energy.   So long as a player was near their ultimate fitness  level it made little difference.   Have tried to find it but it was a few years ago.

Bringing them in the day before may have helped them to bond better or could have worked on tactics.   Just thought I would throw it into the mix.

I think warming up before games is also to prevent soft tissue injuries and the like... prepare the athletes for 90 minutes of hard press,rigorous tackling and so forth. A bit like fine tuning a grand piano before a concerto if you will

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Warming up is absolutely nothing to do with performance, it's to lower the risk/prevent injury.

• Thanks 1