Pay on the gate is dead - and it’s a problem

7 hours ago, OurDan said:

Every club that's been promoted in the last 4 years has charged less than us

Id been a season ticket holder all my life until the last 2 years, my Dad bought me one so I could go with him. But I really couldn't stand it any longer. The club is dead, the atmosphere is dead. He hates going as well, but goes out of duty

Chansiri has killed us. And continues to do so. And is so pig headed he refuses to learn from his mistakes

Chansiri has made many mistakes but you have been a season ticket holder all your life until 2 years ago but couldn't stand it any longer as it is now? We were in division 3 less than a decade ago and in 2004 we finished in the 2nd lowest position in our entire history with poor players, a poor manager and prices that were the highest in the division at that time. Either you have had a short life to date or a short memory. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Maybe if you came to Hillsborough a bit more often you might get a sense of the malaise afflicting the club. Loudmouths caring about our future. How dare they?

lol

Rocking out the I go to more games routine. Id head to more if I lived closer ya know. The atmosphere has got quieter when Ive been recently and I was shifted to Kop this season which is a pain. 

And I love how I dont care about our future cause I dont constantly take pops at the club online.

I was very critical of the DA era and the further poo show before MM came. Plenty to criticise under DC which I have done on here.

But anyway carry on and make a difference..

9 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Rocking out the I go to more games routine. Id head to more if I lived closer ya know. The atmosphere has got quieter when Ive been recently and I was shifted to Kop this season which is a pain. 

And I love how I dont care about our future cause I dont constantly take pops at the club online.

I was very critical of the DA era and the further poo show before MM came. Plenty to criticise under DC which I have done on here.

But anyway carry on and make a difference..

I never said you don’t care. And I wasn’t rocking out the I go more games than you stuff to imply I’m a bigger fan. I’m saying if you’d gone regularly recently you’d see the issues more clearly. Totally different thing. 

The price thing has got my goat since the opening day Bristol City game. For a while I was slagged off for my views on here. Increasingly people are agreeing - wrong or right who knows. I just happen to think it’s wrong - commercially and - more importantly- re the spirit of the game. 

But as for “loudmouths” - this is a football forum where we discuss stuff to do with the club. We’re you being a loudmouth when you criticised Chansiri on here? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Chansiri has made many mistakes but you have been a season ticket holder all your life until 2 years ago but couldn't stand it any longer as it is now? We were in division 3 less than a decade ago and in 2004 we finished in the 2nd lowest position in our entire history with poor players, a poor manager and prices that were the highest in the division at that time. Either you have had a short life to date or a short memory. 

Or maybe things have changed in a more fundamental fashion re football and fans.

The season you quote in 2004 our average attendances was around 22,300. This season when we have been as high as 3rd in the division higher we’re averaging short of 24,000.

1600 higher - seems to me there’s potential that isn’t being tapped into. Or maybe 24k is our level now. 

The current approach by the club means that fans who live some distance from the club, who used to pick and choose their games, and get to about half the home games, as and when they could, no longer bother.

POTG prices are too much, and you can’t justify buying a season ticket to attend 10 or so games per season.

Once these supporters have got out of the habit of attending, it’s difficult to get them back. Especially when they’re enjoying their fishing, having days out with the family, or discovered new hobbies.

That is an example of short-sightedness and a poor business strategy.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I have seen a lot worse at Hillsbro, I witnessed the Burtenshaw era in the 70's, our lowest ever point, but this isn't about the good times or bad times on the pitch. I've been a ST holder for over 30 years, but if there is another price increase for next season, I will not be renewing. There comes a point, no matter how much you love the club, you arnt prepared to be ripped off anymore. 

It's cheaper to watch a lot of Premier league teams than it is to watch Wednesday. That speaks volumes. 

45 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Maybe a marketing expert like you could offer their services. Or you can take pops at them on here to make things better. It must be great working for the club to have some loudmouth slag you off online. 

And tell me what sort of competent marketing outfit comes up with Club 1867 and then tries to launch it twice? 

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Or maybe things have changed in a more fundamental fashion re football and fans.

The season you quote in 2004 our average attendances was around 22,300. This season when we have been as high as 3rd in the division higher we’re averaging short of 24,000.

1600 higher - seems to me there’s potential that isn’t being tapped into. Or maybe 24k is our level now. 

Or maybe it has always been our level and the attendances under the current regime are the best they have been since the PL days? There have been specific peaks and troughs since 2000, mainly rising after promotion seasons or good seasons in this division and tailing off as league position has dropped. 

The attendance average was good in 2003/04, I suspect a fair few were enticed by the thought of having dropped so low we were surely due a successful season after a few years of dross.....

Match day prices are too high and too varied as previously discussed countless times but it surprises me when people say that on the back of two top 6 finishes - unseen at this level this century, they pack it all in after 1 poor season, considering what we have previously experienced in the past two decades.

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I have seen a lot worse at Hillsbro, I witnessed the Burtenshaw era in the 70's, our lowest ever point, but this isn't about the good times or bad times on the pitch. I've been a ST holder for over 30 years, but if there is another price increase for next season, I will not be renewing. There comes a point, no matter how much you love the club, you arnt prepared to be ripped off anymore. 

It's cheaper to watch a lot of Premier league teams than it is to watch Wednesday. That speaks volumes. 

In understand that but the reason PL teams are able to offer fans cheaper tickets has been much discussed.

If you think it is a rip off to pay the season ticket prices we do now, then the prices we paid under previous regimes in the past two decades can't have been better value for money - we paid more than anyone else in division 3 and finished close to the bottom 6 and we consistently had top 6 prices in this division with a bottom 6 budget and a league position to match.

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And tell me what sort of competent marketing outfit comes up with Club 1867 and then tries to launch it twice? 

He has done some things that beggars belief 

How anyone thought this was a good idea is beyond me. To do it once was bad enough, but twice ....

Totally agree with the OP, the PotG prices are absolutely scandalous.

I consider myself a “hardcore fan” if that’s how we’re categorising it - finally had to give up my ST this year as I’m out of the country for the year but was in Sheffield on Sunday. Could have quite easily gone to the Cardiff game but ended up choosing not to, the decision was nothing to do with how we’re playing but simply because I simply couldn’t bring myself to pay that sort of obscene price.

4 hours ago, james o connor said:

Ask Huddersfield ? Ask Fulham ?  Ask every other team that charges less that Us (every single team) . Ripping the fans off proved to be a stupid and fruitless exercise . Just lost a whole heap of casual supporters . Baring In mind for youngsters growing up we have that shower charging less and playing decent football In the premiership  or Wednesday charging obscene stupid prices for dross football with past it players . With no allegiance who’s going. To be the more  attractive proposition 

Again not bringing anything to debate your just going through a list of what we already know.

14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Or maybe it has always been our level and the attendances under the current regime are the best they have been since the PL days? There have been specific peaks and troughs since 2000, mainly rising after promotion seasons or good seasons in this division and tailing off as league position has dropped. 

The attendance average was good in 2003/04, I suspect a fair few were enticed by the thought of having dropped so low we were surely due a successful season after a few years of dross.....

Match day prices are too high and too varied as previously discussed countless times but it surprises me when people say that on the back of two top 6 finishes - unseen at this level this century, they pack it all in after 1 poor season, considering what we have previously experienced in the past two decades.

Bigger changes are happening. Short of promotion maybe we need a galvanising event. Leeds got it from hiring Bielsa. All those years ago the Geordies got it signing Keegan. . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

We need a complete restart. 

A ruthless, rebuilding restart. 

An understanding from the fans, that Forestieiri, Westwood and Lee etc...are part of the problem, not the answer. 

Imagine if all 3 of them are on 30k per week each or more. We could have 6 well scouted youngsters all busting a gut to get into the first team for that. 

Competition is key. Westwood, Forestieri and Lee are done. Winnall doesn't seem the player he was, prior to injury. Rhodes is a luxury.

We're too comfortable, and it seems like we're in for Wilfried Bony, 31. Who will probably take 3 months to get fit and look a world beater in our last 2 games.

OK fair enough can see your point, what sort of wages are you thinking of paying and what level are you setting the tickets at?

7 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Ask the fans of Huddersfield Town, Cardiff City, or even the pigs.

They’ve all got promoted from this division in the last few seasons charging affordable ticket prices and not being financed by parachute payments or the type of mega-spending that could threaten a club’s long-term success.

It can be done, so don’t give us that old pony of ‘if you want promotion, fans need to pay top whack’.

Over the last 5 years, our fans have paid some of the highest ticket prices in the whole of the country.  Can you genuinely say that it’s made any kind of positive impact on our club?

I didn't say that so dont attack me for saying something I didn't say.

So again i ask you what is the answer don't give me a list of the problems give me a list of the solutions.

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Bigger changes are happening. Short of promotion maybe we need a galvanising event. Leeds got it from hiring Bielsa. All those years ago the Geordies got it signing Keegan. . 

I agree there is a malaise at the moment and the feeling that things are far morel likely to head in the wrong direction than the right one. Attendances will inevitably decline as they invariably have done when performance goes downhill, as you say unless we have sustained success on the pitch then a significant positive move of intent is the only way to get people back in numbers.

I don't mind the cost of a season ticket as it stands as in terms of value for money I think it is at least comparable with most of our season ticket prices since the PL days. The disparity between season tickets and match day is too high and the number of price ranges is off putting.  

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree there is a malaise at the moment and the feeling that things are far morel likely to head in the wrong direction than the right one. Attendances will inevitably decline as they invariably have done when performance goes downhill, as you say unless we have sustained success on the pitch then a significant positive move of intent is the only way to get people back in numbers.

I don't mind the cost of a season ticket as it stands as in terms of value for money I think it is at least comparable with most of our season ticket prices since the PL days. The disparity between season tickets and match day is too high and the number of price ranges is off putting.  

Be nice to hear DC give a bit of a rallying call or some positive news. 

Not sure what the current plan is, and aside from blaming the EFL for us diddling the accounts, not heard him say much for over a year.

8 hours ago, OurDan said:

Every club that's been promoted in the last 4 years has charged less than us

Id been a season ticket holder all my life until the last 2 years, my Dad bought me one so I could go with him. But I really couldn't stand it any longer. The club is dead, the atmosphere is dead. He hates going as well, but goes out of duty

Chansiri has killed us. And continues to do so. And is so pig headed he refuses to learn from his mistakes

I don't need to know about your family's supporting history doesn't help to solve the problem.

So we just need to lower the prices and we get promoted?  Can it be that easy?  Like to add anything else to the equation?