Pay on the gate is dead - and it’s a problem

4 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Are you still in the Marquis business?

Do you remember we once nearly visited a game “up North” together - but you had a Marquis to erect?

Sort of, but like you, I’m about to up sticks and move to Norfolk   Is Lee still on here, who lived at Stoke Row

Edited by gurujuan

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We are also under attack from a more global outlook In Sheffield, even when I first moved there, you were either Wednesday or United That’s not so much the case now, recent visits to the city have left me shocked at how many younger people are wearing the colours of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc, even Barcelona. I’m not saying they’d  attend those clubs fixtures, but they’d rather sit in a bar watching those games, than attend Hillsborough

Yes that make me sad. The lad next door (in Sheffield) think he's about 11, told me his 4 best mates at school support Chelsea, Spurs, Man City and Arsenal. He's a Wednesdayite in fairness, but it's very easy to follow a club online now regardless of where you live.

Even half of the cockneys I used to work with supported Manu and Liverpool, which is even more ridiculous when you consider the options available in London.

4 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Good luck.

Thank you, I’ve been pondering the move for a while. One of the things that swung it for me was, you can fly direct to Malaga from Norwich airport It is the easiest airport to fly from, 20 mins from the city centre, and you’re sat in the departure lounge

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Thank you, I’ve been pondering the move for a while. One of the things that swung it for me was, you can fly direct to Malaga from Norwich airport It is the easiest airport to fly from, 20 mins from the city centre, and you’re sat in the departure lounge

Yes, I’d read that you spend a lot of time in Spain.

Robin Hood airport, Nr Doncaster (Finningley) is the answer -  hasn’t it been given a top award?

Just now, ReadingOwl said:

Yes, I’d read that you spend a lot of time in Spain.

Robin Hood airport, Nr Doncaster (Finningley) is the answer -  hasn’t it been given a top award?

I don’t know that one, but most airports are a pain, so one on the doorstep, with a 5 min processing is a godsend Trouble with the regional ones, they only have limited destinations, but you can’t have everything

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know that one, but most airports are a pain, so one on the doorstep, with a 5 min processing is a godsend Trouble with the regional ones, they only have limited destinations, but you can’t have everything

Don’t forget D - Taxis operate from Doncaster.

lol

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Not for me. No. Not even the play off final.

I haven’t been since Mandaric left. The opening day against Bristol City did it for me - not attended since.

I first attended in 1967. 

Visited my Mum over Christmas this year (although they were away, but the point still stands) - no intention of combining my visit with a walk down to Hillsborough.

Took her to Ladybower - fair play at 88, she did the full circuit of the reservoir. And she still follows the results and asks about the team.

At one time - Wednesday was my real reason for visiting her.

I have very little physical connection to the Club anymore. It’s all sentimentality, memories and culture now.

It’d take a really culture change of Strafford type proportions to entice me back now. Someone who made me feel I made a difference.

It’s not a community Club anymore.

That's modern football not just Wednesday.

Bury were a typical 'community' club, fat lot of good it did them.

Just now, bigthinrob said:

That's modern football not just Wednesday.

Bury were a typical 'community' club, fat lot of good it did them.

Can’t disagree, trying to be objective.

And, if the Chairman’s business plan had worked - this thread wouldn’t exist (being objective).

What’s done is done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

We struggle to get that many on a rainy midweek night - if you ignore the official “attendance”. 

Oh god resorting to conspiracy theories now to have a pop at the club.  

Come on roll up, roll up find the most inventive way to have a go, winner wins a night out with Rickygoo and he's paying :biggrin:

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

It happened (sooner than I expected) that year and people who had bragged about never going again while DC & his disgusting prices were in force suddenly did a huge U turn & were begging for 'log ins' spare tickets etc etc.

The Wednesday habit is hard to break but Chansiri is making it easier with his policies. 

I see loads of very young 'new fans' home & away week in week out. Maybe you missed them.

I thought exactly the opposite leaving Hillsborough on NYD.

f we've eliminated 'new fans' who want to "pick & choose" (bit of a mis-nomer by definition). How come gates have pretty much stayed constant & haven't gradually declined year on year.

It’s churn innit? Attendances have held up because - so I’m told - we have 21k ST holders - take off away fans and we have a virtually extinct POTG punter. So a traditionally big game like NYD we struggle to get 25k.

Hillsborough is so much better when it’s full. Regardless of the moral stuff “paraded” that is enough for me to want at least the odd offer to get Hillsborough buzzing again. 

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Oh god resorting to conspiracy theories now to have a pop at the club.  

Come on roll up, roll up find the most inventive way to have a go, winner wins a night out with Rickygoo and he's paying :biggrin:

It’s not a conspiracy theory. The official attendance is the number of tickets sold. The actual number of people attending is often much lower as you’d know if you went to a midweek game.  The club came up with a figure a while ago that ran into the thousands.

Smug know nothing. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

It’s not a conspiracy theory. The official attendance is the number of tickets sold. The actual number of people attending is often much lower as you’d know if you went to a midweek game.  The club came up with a figure a while ago that ran into the thousands.

Smug know nothing. 

How do you know this?

• Haha 1