Pay on the gate is dead - and it’s a problem

2 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Yes mate I'm fully aware of the attendances back then as I attended Hillsborough back then. I recall the bigger games against man utd with the full house, I also remember the lesser games that were about 23k.

But even then when we were pretty much awesome we still didn't average 30k fans for the season.

I believe if we got back to the prem we should or might at least

But not in this division and thats proven to be fact.

We literally do not have that many fans that can be bothered anymore.

Is it a price problem? Performance problem or both?

Or maybe if your not that arsed about footy that won't change

Very few clubs were averaging over 30,000 we missed/missing out on the party.

If united can average 30,000 (I guess they are) then of course we would, allowing for SAG.

5 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Yes mate I'm fully aware of the attendances back then as I attended Hillsborough back then. I recall the bigger games against man utd with the full house, I also remember the lesser games that were about 23k.

But even then when we were pretty much awesome we still didn't average 30k fans for the season.

I believe if we got back to the prem we should or might at least

But not in this division and thats proven to be fact.

We literally do not have that many fans that can be bothered anymore.

Is it a price problem? Performance problem or both?

Or maybe if your not that arsed about footy that won't change

My point was that average attendances across football have increased exponentially since the early 90s. So our average home attendance of 28k in 1993 would probably be the equivalent of 35k+ today. 

What’s a proven fact? The model of us fans paying reasonable ticket prices to watch high quality football has not yet been demonstrated. So it isn’t a ‘proven fact’ that we cannot average 30k when all factors are fair and equal. 

Prior to Chansiri we paid reasonable ticket prices to watch terribly crap awful football. After Chansiri’s arrival we have paid extortionate ticket prices to watch okay-good quality football. 

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You only have to see the media interest he has brought and the increase in attendances at home to see the positive effect he has had. 

Yes he has some history of failure after promising beginnings but Leeds are closer to promotion under him than they were before him and are a more marketable club to boot.

Bruce came with promotion credentials but proved to be a more unstable option for our club than Bielsa is at Leeds. 

I think Bruce would have been a better appointment for any Championship club. Been there and done that. Bielsa has been there and ended up getting trolled by Derby players after collapsing in the playoffs. Bielsa brought a lot of negative press with spygate.

DC deserved massive credit for hiring Bruce

Guest Ferkorf
10 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Very few clubs were averaging over 30,000 we missed/missing out on the party.

If united can average 30,000 (I guess they are) then of course we would, allowing for SAG.

Agree in the prem but just not in this division though

Guest Ferkorf
2 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

My point was that average attendances across football have increased exponentially since the early 90s. So our average home attendance of 28k in 1993 would probably be the equivalent of 35k+ today. 

What’s a proven fact? The model of us fans paying reasonable ticket prices to watch high quality football has not yet been demonstrated. So it isn’t a ‘proven fact’ that we cannot average 30k when all factors are fair and equal. 

Prior to Chansiri we paid reasonable ticket prices to watch terribly crap awful football. After Chansiri’s arrival we have paid extortionate ticket prices to watch okay-good quality football. 

Right you could knock ticket prices down to £25 and Im saying over the course of the season we wouldnt average 30k in this division.

No chance in hell.

First game of season full house or as full as we can get which is what now? 33k?

As the season dwindles on it'll soon drop back down to the 25k average mark money is usually the main excuse for people that just arent that bothered anymore

2 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Right you could knock ticket prices down to £25 and Im saying over the course of the season we wouldnt average 30k in this division.

No chance in hell.

First game of season full house or as full as we can get which is what now? 33k?

As the season dwindles on it'll soon drop back down to the 25k average mark money is usually the main excuse for people that just arent that bothered anymore

So why did we average over 27k in 2016 when we came 6th and had nearly the highest ticket prices across all four leagues?  

Are you saying that, if we had a similarly successful season with cheaper ticket prices, our attendances would be lower than they were in 2016? 

Guest Ferkorf
16 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

So why did we average over 27k in 2016 when we came 6th and had nearly the highest ticket prices across all four leagues?  

Are you saying that, if we had a similarly successful season with cheaper ticket prices, our attendances would be lower than they were in 2016? 

I think its a bit obvious by now I've said we will never average 30k in this league.

Feel like a broken record

3 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

I think its a bit obvious by now I've said we will never average 30k in this league.

Feel like a broken record

Oh it’s just that you said we would average 25k if tickets were £25. 

Doesn't really make make much sense that’s all. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alleycat said:

So a question to all the people who think it was a master stroke and that there’s some conspiracy against us by the EFL.

Why didn’t we just sell the ground a year earlier and put it in that years accounts. Non of this EFL stuff would then be happening.

Answer is that (once again) he gambled that we’d get promoted. (Once again) we didn’t and therefore here we are facing a possible points deduction.

Profits on the disposal of tangible fixed assets were disallowed under the FFP rules but that clause was removed in the P&S rules in 2016. So 2017-218 was the first year that ground sale and leaseback option became available. Not saying it’s a good idea but that dictated the timing

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I think Bruce would have been a better appointment for any Championship club. Been there and done that. Bielsa has been there and ended up getting trolled by Derby players after collapsing in the playoffs. Bielsa brought a lot of negative press with spygate.

DC deserved massive credit for hiring Bruce

Leeds average attendance has increased by over 6,000 under Bielsa and they are a better side than they were before he came. Spygate wasn't good for them but the net positive media interest since his arrival is more than the interest generated in us under Bruce.

Bruce was a good appointment, unfortunately not one we could maintain which doesn't help us now does it.

5 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Mate of mine, 8 games a season sort of bloke.  Doesn’t even know who we are playing nowadays.  If it was £20 for a specific game he wouldn’t even know about it because he wouldn’t think to look.

we are losing a generation with this bloke running the pricing “strategy”.  

Don't worry I have added two of my grandchildren this season both got season tickets and another next season if I can sort it for north stand

40 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Mate of mine, 8 games a season sort of bloke.  Doesn’t even know who we are playing nowadays.  If it was £20 for a specific game he wouldn’t even know about it because he wouldn’t think to look.

we are losing a generation with this bloke running the pricing “strategy”.  

Not sure why any supporter would not know who we are playing regardless of whether they go to games. 

45 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Don't worry I have added two of my grandchildren this season both got season tickets and another next season if I can sort it for north stand

What’s that got to do with my mate not going?

He has a grandson who in a different world of reasonable pricing would be going to a few games with him as well.

Not everyone can make most games and not everyone can afford, or justify to their partner, a season ticket.

Forgive me if any of the points I’m about to make have already been made but I’ve not read the whole thread.

I was a season ticket holder until the end of 2014/15. I gave it up purely as my daughter was born that summer so my time (and money) was needed elsewhere. I still went to about 5 or 6 games in 15/16 and 16/17 which was helped massively by the good seasons we had then. I also retained my membership.

But in 17/18 when the football was dire yet prices still sky high, it became easy to not go. The problem is that I was now fully out of the habit.

There are now so many little reasons that add up to put me off going. I have a lengthy commute in the week so only get to spend more than an hour a day with my kids on a weekend. Going to football then wipes out about 5 hours of that. Added the still extortionate prices and it just doesn’t seem worth it. 

And now we have this situation with the road closures. I’ve not been since this has been the case but it sounds like it’s such a faff getting there by car now. And by public transport would take too long.

What I’m trying to say is that we have a half empty stadium, have external pressures such as those from SAG and the council but the least the club could do is try to make it as appealing as possible for people like me to decide to make the trip to Hillsborough. Instead it just seems an even bigger chore than ever, despite the results.

4 hours ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Forgive me if any of the points I’m about to make have already been made but I’ve not read the whole thread.

I was a season ticket holder until the end of 2014/15. I gave it up purely as my daughter was born that summer so my time (and money) was needed elsewhere. I still went to about 5 or 6 games in 15/16 and 16/17 which was helped massively by the good seasons we had then. I also retained my membership.

But in 17/18 when the football was dire yet prices still sky high, it became easy to not go. The problem is that I was now fully out of the habit.

There are now so many little reasons that add up to put me off going. I have a lengthy commute in the week so only get to spend more than an hour a day with my kids on a weekend. Going to football then wipes out about 5 hours of that. Added the still extortionate prices and it just doesn’t seem worth it. 

And now we have this situation with the road closures. I’ve not been since this has been the case but it sounds like it’s such a faff getting there by car now. And by public transport would take too long.

What I’m trying to say is that we have a half empty stadium, have external pressures such as those from SAG and the council but the least the club could do is try to make it as appealing as possible for people like me to decide to make the trip to Hillsborough. Instead it just seems an even bigger chore than ever, despite the results.

Some us supporting Wednesday it as gone through the generations of the family and no what happens we never loose the buzz 

Only I'll health will ever stop me attending Hillsborough