A12owl

Time to give youth a chance

16 minutes ago, A12owl said:

That was with Jos.

Could be different with a different manager.

They are the same players as when Jos was here and they weren't good enough then...Nothing would suggest that they have developed into first team players of the course of the last 12 months.

Baker - Was poor and looked like a lost boy.

Penny - Had an half decent start but then faded when got pushed on the LW. Plus he is on loan so is unavailable to us.

Preston - Had one decent 45 minutes of first team football. The rest of the time he wasn't good enough.

None of the other development squad players have shown enough to for us to suddenly put faith in them to "freshen" things up for us. 

Sorry but it really is clutching at straws. 

Unfortunately the only way is by experienced players.

Maybe Monk will bring one or two in that may make the difference- let’s hope.

47 minutes ago, mirocevic said:

So in the present losing run we should look to playing 16 years old debutant players to turn it around?

perhaps you are over reacting?

perhaps Monk should be allowed to bring in some players before we ruin some youngsters football career?

Sounds like something Jos would do

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

I know next to nothing about our u23 squad but surely it's time to give 1 or 2 a run in the first team. They are playing for their futures not living off their past.

Brum have a 16 year old playing and scoring.

Prem teams have numerous teenagers playing regularly. I know there quality will be better than ours. 

Age is irrelevant. They will have more energy and enthusiasm (hopefully) than some of our first team squad. 

The crowd should get behind a younger player giving them encouragement rather than criticising experienced players who should be doing better.

Got to be worth a try IF there are any decent prospects .

Like you posted you know next to nothing

34 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

They are the same players as when Jos was here and they weren't good enough then...Nothing would suggest that they have developed into first team players of the course of the last 12 months.

Baker - Was poor and looked like a lost boy.

Penny - Had an half decent start but then faded when got pushed on the LW. Plus he is on loan so is unavailable to us.

Preston - Had one decent 45 minutes of first team football. The rest of the time he wasn't good enough.

None of the other development squad players have shown enough to for us to suddenly put faith in them to "freshen" things up for us. 

Sorry but it really is clutching at straws. 

Thanks for that. As I said I know nowt about the the u23s so was just asking the question. If there isnt anybody good enough then so be it.

23 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Like you posted you know next to nothing

That really is a constructive answer. Thanks for your input.

• Haha 1

It's not exactly a production line of first team footballers is it our academy? The U23s currently languish 10th in the table out of 11 teams. What do our scouts and coaching staff do other than strut about Meadowhall in their SWFC tracksuit?

Maybe Jos and our club weren't so wrong after all and could see where our squad was heading ? 

Nobody is good enough yet IMO

Connor Kirby is probably the most suitable but he's away.

Hunt and Grant will make it but not fir us just yet.

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

I know next to nothing about our u23 squad but surely it's time to give 1 or 2 a run in the first team. They are playing for their futures not living off their past.

Brum have a 16 year old playing and scoring.

Prem teams have numerous teenagers playing regularly. I know there quality will be better than ours. 

Age is irrelevant. They will have more energy and enthusiasm (hopefully) than some of our first team squad. 

The crowd should get behind a younger player giving them encouragement rather than criticising experienced players who should be doing better.

Got to be worth a try IF there are any decent prospects .

Would be nice to have a pick of youngsters to try but i fear they are not at this level. Birmingham have a 16 year old scoring but he's obviously capable. The best ones were supposed to be penney, Baker and thorniley. Baker is not close to championship level, penney out on loan and Thorniley, the best of the 3, has been sold to a league 1 team as he can't break through here (I would have liked to have seen us keep him). 

• Thanks 1

Actually the correct way of phrasing it is ‘chuck the kids in’

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, A12owl said:

That really is a constructive answer. Thanks for your input.

To be fair an 8 word response from Bladeshater is bordering on an epic.

You should feel honored.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Maybe Jos and our club weren't so wrong after all and could see where our squad was heading ? 

The club would be right, if we had young players that were good enough or scouts that could pick up a few Premier league young rejects. 

In response to OP:

No.

1 hour ago, mirocevic said:

Unfortunately the only way is by experienced players.

Maybe Monk will bring one or two in that may make the difference- let’s hope.

Don’t accept this - we’ve been down that road before and fallen short.

The fact that we have no young players ready to take a step up really does concern me, and doesn’t reflect well on the club.

Monk has mentioned that he would like to bring younger players through so it maybe something he will do at some point 

"You don't win anything with kids", everybody knows that!

In all seriousness our U23s are nowhere near those Man Utd kids. We do however, need new faces as well as showing the door to some of the old ones.

59 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

To be fair an 8 word response from Bladeshater is bordering on an epic.

You should feel honored.

Honoured I will be then.lol

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

One point outside the playoff's.... Yes, it time to turn to youth!

Jesus wept

We’re going nowhere with current squad - not a chance of promotion (that should be the objective, not a play-off spot) unless we make giant strides during January transfer window.

Regardless of where we stand in League right now, there’s been far more poor performances this season than any displays to suggest Premier League is within reach.  Why would this change without 2 or 3 quality additions to the first team line-up?

As for youth, the fact that it’s just not an option right is not something we should be particularly proud of.  

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

One point outside the playoff's.... Yes, it time to turn to youth!

Jesus wept

With all the negativity on here about the current 1st team I just offered a question for any suggestions.

Calm down.