A12owl

Time to give youth a chance

I know next to nothing about our u23 squad but surely it's time to give 1 or 2 a run in the first team. They are playing for their futures not living off their past.

Brum have a 16 year old playing and scoring.

Prem teams have numerous teenagers playing regularly. I know there quality will be better than ours. 

Age is irrelevant. They will have more energy and enthusiasm (hopefully) than some of our first team squad. 

The crowd should get behind a younger player giving them encouragement rather than criticising experienced players who should be doing better.

Got to be worth a try IF there are any decent prospects .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’d be tempted to recall Connor Kirby and play him on Saturday, unless he’s already cuptied. 

Agree 100% in principle with OP, but:

a) doesn’t look like there is anyone ready to come through right now.

b) not sure if this is right climate to be giving debuts to young players.

Our record in this respect is very poor, and for me it’s one of the biggest disappointments of our current position - no young talent pushing for first team inclusion (which only increases complacency of those who start regularly).

1 minute ago, Steve Down South said:

Agree 100% in principle with OP, but:

a) doesn’t look like there is anyone ready to come through right now.

b) not sure if this is right climate to be giving debuts to young players.

Our record in this respect is very poor, and for me it’s one of the biggest disappointments of our current position - no young talent pushing for first team inclusion (which only increases complacency of those who start regularly).

My thoughts were not based on knowledge of the u23's as I said. But there has to be at least a couple who just might be capable of a 30-40 minute try as a substitute. 

As you say it's disappointing if we don't have any suitable "apprentices".

15 minutes ago, mirocevic said:

Bring back the good old days of Jos?

That was a combination of many things not just playing young players .

So in the present losing run we should look to playing 16 years old debutant players to turn it around?

perhaps you are over reacting?

perhaps Monk should be allowed to bring in some players before we ruin some youngsters football career?

Jos had the right idea with youth, he just went a bit OTT with it.

21 minutes ago, mirocevic said:

Bring back the good old days of Jos?

God help us.:biggrin:

His debacle proved Youth only work if they are good enough, and brought in at the right time and in the right environment.

• Like 1

Have a bad week and bloke that never goes wants us to play some youngsters that are not that good!!!

Brilliant 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Surely Borukov being given a few minutes at the side of Fletcher cant be any worse than Rhodes or Winnall  plodding around. He can run and he just might show a bit more enthusiasm than those two , Reach , and Murphy .

15 minutes ago, mirocevic said:

So in the present losing run we should look to playing 16 years old debutant players to turn it around?

perhaps you are over reacting?

perhaps Monk should be allowed to bring in some players before we ruin some youngsters football career?

Did I say that?

No.

I said to bring in some younger players who are playing for their future not relying on previous reputations.

Clutching at straws springs to mind!! It’s been tried and it was awful to watch. 

9 minutes ago, torres said:

Have a bad week and bloke that never goes wants us to play some youngsters that are not that good!!!

Brilliant 

I didn't say to bring in players that were no good. I asked if we had any youngsters who were good enough.

Read the post. Whether I go or not is irrelevant to my post.

Get off your high horse about supporters who cannot get to games.

3 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Clutching at straws springs to mind!! It’s been tried and it was awful to watch. 

That was with Jos.

Could be different with a different manager.

14 minutes ago, torres said:

Brilliant 

When will you stop having digs at people who are not able to go to games .

There are thousands around the world who are unable to get to games. We are not as fortunate as you who has the financial ability and health to be able to attend every game.

How many on OT attend every game and how many are "armchair supporters".

The AS's probably watch match replays and tv games which are readily available nowadays . Sometimes it's easier to see things on tv than sat at the game . 

Just for once and hopefully permanently accept that we AS's are as passionate as you and are entitled to an opinion.

That's it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Young George Hirst would be perfect for a few games now...... oh feck..........!

3 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Young George Hirst would be perfect for a few games now...... oh feck..........!

George hirst would probably be a regular now if he had a bit more sense. Though his bank balance wouldn't be as good lol

One point outside the playoff's.... Yes, it time to turn to youth!

Jesus wept