Our problems are home goals

19 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Intellignet movement , understanding , creativity,  Cunning, guile. 

Things we don't have.

It's all right on the road when the onus is on the other team to attack and we can sit a but and  whack a counter attack.  

At home. When it's on us. No

Also don't think it helps having to play in front of our home support to be honest. 

This has been repeated said for the last 20 yrs. My view is we don't have the personnel; save for one or two seasons in that time to actually get on the front foot, as most normal teams do, and entertain the masses. We simply amble about and look slow and hesitant, dropping deep and rarely press. 

It’s simple really.

Monk is a pragmatic, counter attacking manager - always has been and always will be. 

At home teams don’t come after us so we lack the penetration to break them down.

Away from home the opposites are much more expansive and suit our gameplan much more.

We need to develop another style of play. We’re so one dimensional it’s unreal.

With his current learning speed I expect Monk to have realized this by February.

I thought the OP from Holmowl was very thought-provoking.

Our play at home seems to me to be very formatted and even formal.

It consists of giving it to Bannan to hit a wonder ball or to Kadeem-Harris in the hope that he can beat the 2/3 men in front of him.

There is nopthing for eaxmple of the free spirit that you see in Brentford's fluid system at home.

Dare I say it as it no longer seems popular but I would love to see FF back on the pitch and playing.

He is capable of moments of creativity that can win a game.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

It’s simple really.

Monk is a pragmatic, counter attacking manager - always has been and always will be. 

At home teams don’t come after us so we lack the penetration to break them down.

Away from home the opposites are much more expansive and suit our gameplan much more.

We need to develop another style of play. We’re so one dimensional it’s unreal.

With his current learning speed I expect Monk to have realized this by February.

Very true.

Let's hope he gets some loans in because with the exception of a couple I'm not sure the bulk of players are capable.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No spark or imagination out wide or up front. 

We have one winger (Harris) who can beat a man but invariably makes the wrong decision after doing so. We have another winger (Reach) who can't beat a man but can cross, but rarely gets in a position to do so.

We have a midfielder (Bannan) who likes to get on the ball deep in his own half and another midfielder (Hutchinson) who likes to play sweeper behind our back four. There is no goal threat whatsoever. Borner or Iorfa are more likely to score than any of our midfield.

We've missed Lee's late runs into the box, FF cutting in from the left beating everyone and Hooper holding it up but being able to do something useful with it. 

Luongo will be the key to our success this season. Unsure if Lee will ever be back to anything like his best or FF for that matter.

I'd like to see Monk try a three with Luongo as holding mid, with Bannan and either Lee or FF depending who's fit. Reach could even be tried in there as long as he's part of a three and not a two.

Another option could be dropping hutch into CB with Borner and push Iorfa in front as the holding mid, with Bannan and Luongo more advanced.

There has to be a formula that will work with the players we have. 

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Pretty simple as to why. The home team typically takes the initiative. Our style is a decent spine with a heavy focus on wing play. That means we can largely deal with opposition attacks and counter strongly (despite little pace up front). What it does mean is little creativity through the centre and few runners getting between the lines of the opposition. Result? Decent away, lacking the creativity and movement to break teams down at home.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Things we don't have.

It's all right on the road when the onus is on the other team to attack and we can sit a but and  whack a counter attack.  

Also don't think it helps having to play in front of our home support to be honest. 

I think you’ve nailed it.

IMO it’s not our forwards that are the problem. It’s our build-up. 

We have Bannan wonder-balls to Fletcher or Harris wing-play. If this isn’t working we punt it long and hope for the flick-on. We rarely win second ball because Bannan and especially Hutch are so deep.

As I said in my opener, I’d like to see Luongo and Lee with Bannan so we add the option to play thru midfield.

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Things we don't have.

Nail. On. Head.

We're fine away from home, because the space is there for us to exploit. 

At home, we have to create that space. By moving the ball quickly and decisively, stretching play and forcing the opposition defences to get dragged out of position.

But with only options to choose a frontline of essentially, static forwards...we're never going to get that. Harris doesn't get the space in behind to exploit, and so he's more reliant on skill and trickery to get past his man. And Bannan doesn't have the forward options he does in away games, because of the issues above.

We stagnant and stale to watch at home...because of our inability to move opposition defences around.