Jump to content
Holmowl

Our problems are home goals

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

What’s happened to us at Hillsborough?

 

Home GF14. GA10

 

Away GF23. GA16
 

14 goals scored in 13 games at home. That’s plain terrible. Only Wigan and Boro are worse, with 12 goals.

 

Away we are a different animal. Our 23 goals in 13 games is fantastic, with only Leeds having more, though it has taken them 14 games for their 24 goals.

 

Defensively at home we are sound. Only Leeds and Brentford boast better than our 10 goals conceded.

 

So it’s very clear. It’s home goals that stand out as our Achilles heal. In other threads we bemoan our style, but really it’s only at home that we lump it forward. Away we tend to treasure possession more and look after the ball better. At home the oppos sit back and with our deep CMs we lack the numbers in the opponent half to trouble packed defences and midfields.

 

I think all the current threads, about 352, about our deep CMs, about lumping it forward, about our under-performing wingers, all hold true but only really at home. Away we look like a very decent football team. At home we look a shadow of a team, devoid of a plan, with few individual ideas and lacking in confidence.
 

I agree it’s time to shake it up at home. This cannot continue. My own views:-

 

The stamina-filled Reach and Harris at wing-backs.

Drop Hutch to play Luongo Bannan Lee who all want to get forward.

352

 

 

 

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the problem, in fact just posted this on the apathy thread.

 

our lack of pace means we are fronted too easily by opponent defences at home. We can’t play a ball over the top or indeed down the sides into space as our players won’t get there unless they have a good head start created by very clever movement or very quick passing. The latter doesn’t come easily. 
 

we do need some legs on loan, or else we try Murphy in some sort of forward role just to try and get the opponent back line unsure of how far to push us up the pitch. 
 

I am not sure about the full back solution below however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams set up organised with men behind the ball, put 2 or 3 men on Harris and we dont have the players to break them down!

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as we saw the line up yesterday I think the majority of us knew we would struggle for goals. Without Fletcher fully fit and starting games our other strikers just aren’t up to the job. Desperate for a new signing or 2 up top this month. PACE!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think as other posters have mentioned the lack of pace is an issue. But, to add to that it’s the slow pace of the attack at home. Every time we get a throw, free kick or Dawson picks up the ball we are so slow to get out or get the ball moving. The opposition gets 9/10 men behind the ball and we roll the ball across the back line, usually resulting in a chip from lees forward.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the last 2 games at home - we have created plenty of chances and should have scored a lot more goals at home 

 

We are not free flowing by any stretch, but under Monk we are (until Christmas got in the way) efficient. 

 

Good percentage football that made chances.

 

This week has been dire and clouded all the past good work 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, torres said:

Apart from the last 2 games at home - we have created plenty of chances and should have scored a lot more goals at home 

 

We are not free flowing by any stretch, but under Monk we are (until Christmas got in the way) efficient. 

 

Good percentage football that made chances.

 

This week has been dire and clouded all the past good work 

Coincides with Fletcher illness, we just don't have any other decent strikers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, debram said:

Coincides with Fletcher illness, we just don't have any other decent strikers.

 

Certainly looks that way.

 

It's bad news when you rely so heavily on one player in a position that we have spent A LOT of money on

 

Even worse news when that one player is 33!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much reliance on Set Pieces. 8 of our last 11 goals have come from set pieces or penalties. Only Rhodes 2nd at Forest, Fletcher at Derby (which was a horrific defensive mistake) and Fletcher against Brentford have been from open play. 
 

We really need to find a way of putting pressure on the other team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not enough goals coming from midfield exposes the lack of threat up front.

 

Reach has stopped regularly shooting and scoring. 1 goal this season

Hutch isnt a goal threat.  3 goals in 5 years

Bannan not really a goal threat 9 goals in 4 years

Harris has a few more with 3 this season.

 

On current form and if he stays fit Fletch can hit 20 goals this season, hes on 12 now but to get in the play offs and challenge for promotion the midfield have got to chip in more. If you look at our two play off seasons with Carlos,  Lee and Wallace both contributed heavily to the score tally.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our attacking play is very predictable when we dominate possession. Put simply we just can’t break teams down.

 

A quick glance shows we haven’t won a game all season at home when we’ve dominated possession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

Our attacking play is very predictable when we dominate possession. Put simply we just can’t break teams down.

 

A quick glance shows we haven’t won a game all season at home when we’ve dominated possession.


No spark or imagination out wide or up front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty simple as to why. The home team typically takes the initiative. Our style is a decent spine with a heavy focus on wing play. That means we can largely deal with opposition attacks and counter strongly (despite little pace up front). What it does mean is little creativity through the centre and few runners getting between the lines of the opposition. Result? Decent away, lacking the creativity and movement to break teams down at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

League is very poor this season - I’ve been saying it all year.

 

We aren’t great at all but should easily be in the top 6 now. 2 issues - we only have fletcher up top who is good enough. We hardly ever see FF and rhodes, Winnall and Dave and nowhere near good enough for SWFC. Our inability to see games out this season is absolutely ridiculous. It’s knocked the stuffing out of me, god knows what it’s done to the players and manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:


No spark or imagination out wide or up front. 


Said yesterday I think we’ve relied on moments of magic from the likes of Bannan, Forestieri, Joao etc for so long we’ve lost any understanding of how to build attacks or play at any kind of tempo. 

 

At the minute unless Bannan picks a pass we have literally nothing going forward. Our reliance on him alone to create in the last two games has been awful to see. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also seem to have to work very hard for our goals and the opposition get 1 chance and score. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We miss the Kieran Lee of old in so many ways and the guile and intelligence of Hooper and Wallace 

Reach has gone backwards again 

we don’t have a striker apart from Fletcher that could hold a candle to Hooper 

Monk talks about players that get it 

we need more of them to replace those that don’t 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:


Said yesterday I think we’ve relied on moments of magic from the likes of Bannan, Forestieri, Joao etc for so long we’ve lost any understanding of how to build attacks or play at any kind of tempo. 

 

At the minute unless Bannan picks a pass we have literally nothing going forward. Our reliance on him alone to create in the last two games has been awful to see. 

 

And when he does, we have the likes of Murphy on the end of it who lacks confidence and possibly ability to finish of a comfortable chance.

 

We've created so many chances this season but take around 1 in 6. It's a terrible ratio and something the management need to resolve - intensive training or new personnel are needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intellignet movement , understanding , creativity,  Cunning, guile. 

 

Things we don't have.

 

It's all right on the road when the onus is on the other team to attack and we can sit a but and  whack a counter attack.  

 

At home. When it's on us. No

 

 

Also don't think it helps having to play in front of our home support to be honest. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

What’s happened to us at Hillsborough?

 

Home GF14. GA10

 

Away GF23. GA16
 

14 goals scored in 13 games at home. That’s plain terrible. Only Wigan and Boro are worse, with 12 goals.

 

Away we are a different animal. Our 23 goals in 13 games is fantastic, with only Leeds having more, though it has taken them 14 games for their 24 goals.

 

Defensively at home we are sound. Only Leeds and Brentford boast better than our 10 goals conceded.

 

So it’s very clear. It’s home goals that stand out as our Achilles heal. In other threads we bemoan our style, but really it’s only at home that we lump it forward. Away we tend to treasure possession more and look after the ball better. At home the oppos sit back and with our deep CMs we lack the numbers in the opponent half to trouble packed defences and midfields.

 

I think all the current threads, about 352, about our deep CMs, about lumping it forward, about our under-performing wingers, all hold true but only really at home. Away we look like a very decent football team. At home we look a shadow of a team, devoid of a plan, with few individual ideas and lacking in confidence.
 

I agree it’s time to shake it up at home. This cannot continue. My own views:-

 

The stamina-filled Reach and Harris at wing-backs.

Drop Hutch to play Luongo Bannan Lee who all want to get forward.

352

 

 

 

I also think there is a bigger issue here we only scored 4 goals all season at home in the first half which suggest we are not starting games very well, the last few games early goals conceded have meant us being on the back foot the whole game.

 

For me is seem to simple to not be done but for the team they have been crap at it for 4 season now. Start the game from the 1st minute and play to the last. 

 

We were lucky against Bristol city too as we could have been behind inside a minute.

 

For me this goes to the coaching and the players being ready from the off not 30 - 40 minutes into the game.

 

The other big issue I have seem this season is our goals to chances ratio has to be one of the worst in the league we have 20 chances a game and often only get a goal or two look at yesterday as another example, 12 shots no goals (Cardiff 18, 1 goal, Bristol C 15, 1 goal, Brentford 13, 2 goals, Brum 25, 1 goal, Swansea 20, 2 goals) in the last 6 games at home we have had 103 chances to score and scored only 7 goals so we are needing on average 15 changes to score 1 goal. 

 

Either we cannot hit a barn door, the players are shooting from stupid positions or we don't have the adequate players to score the goals from the chances we are creating.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...