The Horse

Can't get excited anymore.

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s an ageing, stale squad

It’s also an ageing stale fan base. I saw nearly as many walking sticks as kids in the North Stand today. 

I can’t remember the last time I heard someone in the middle of the North Stand swear even. 

As I said in another thread I took a Leeds supporting kid to a Wednesday match last season. He wanted to know why people didn’t sing and thought it was very chilled compared to Elland Road. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Horse said:

Does anyone else feel that going to Hillsborough is more of an obligation than something to look forward to these days?

Dull football that fails to energise the crowd.

No desire. No hunger.

It just feels like I'm hoping we score rather than getting excited by a team playing with determination to put the ball in the net.

I hate to say it but we play more and more like Monk's Birmingham did.

Slow, ponderous and easy to nullify.

Please, Wednesday... Give me a reason to make my voice hoarse through shouting and singing again.

It started around the year 2000; this millennium has been harsh on us Wednesday supporters. 

4 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

The atmosphere today was abhorrent. Genuinely poisonous. No singing, just 90s minutes of getting heckled about crying on wembley way today. The sanitisation process hits the next low for me. Absolutely the opposite reason why I fell in love with football, its absolutely silent. 

True, but only the fans can change that atmosphere. It's a viscous circle at the moment.

As a fanbase I think we have to decide what we want. If we expecting promotion any time soon or champagne football then we are going to be bitterly disappointed. 

Think back to Wembley against Hull. We lost after a similarly dull performance, we weren't crying though we're we? We sang for our team, it was a carnival atmosphere, so much so we spoilt their celebrations. Nothing would spoil our day.

Why can we do that there but not at Hillsborough?

All I'm saying our attitude and mindset can have an impact on the players.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

Is there a more inept club in football over the past 20 years? We are just spinning our wheels and going nowhere..

Us and Coventry 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Hasn't that been the case for most of our lifetime

TBH no. In my lifetime. Wilkinson, Atkinson, Francis, Sturrock, Laws, Megson, Carlos (1season), Bruce (4 months) produced positive teams playing positive football with committed and motivated players. Not always good performances or good results but managers and teams you could get behind. 

• Agree 1

SAG / Council / Leaving at Penistone Road end

No pay on gate (just little hut with stupid queues)

High prices

Dire performances on the pitch

Players arguing amongst themselves

The other lot

FFP threats to deduct major points 

Forestieri injured 

No decent half time game

But I still enjoy going and look forward to it. I always will. It’s what we do. 

• Sad 1

Got to both these home games.

Bloody awful.

Stadium reeks of apathy and I completely understand why.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

We’re too accepting of mediocrity. We’ve been conditioned to accept our lot with just a few quiet grumbles. 

Other clubs would have their fans kicking up a s*******m with how we’ve fared over the last few years. The club has had its reputation tarnished, and we’ve been made to look like fools by our city rivals.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Horse said:

Does anyone else feel that going to Hillsborough is more of an obligation than something to look forward to these days?

Dull football that fails to energise the crowd.

No desire. No hunger.

It just feels like I'm hoping we score rather than getting excited by a team playing with determination to put the ball in the net.

I hate to say it but we play more and more like Monk's Birmingham did.

Slow, ponderous and easy to nullify.

Please, Wednesday... Give me a reason to make my voice hoarse through shouting and singing again.

Summed up to perfection this post.

This season could be my last I think, just had enough with the club really.

I've flounced a few times and totally understand the anger...try and keep the faith lads and lasses ..wawaw?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

VAR in the prem, timewasting, pathetic players feigning injury, stop start games and dire referees are all making me slowly fall out of love with football I'm afraid. 

And the blunts are doing well .. doesnt help. 

100% agree. Football is getting worse and worse. 

I have to keep reminding myself we’re not bottom of the Meadowhall Sunday league every time I come and read a few threads on this forum,  I don’t think I’ve ever known it as bad 

The fan base has completely given up, lot of dummy spitting going off because of

how well it’s going on other side of city , the atmosphere at Hillsborough even when we get a result is dreadful 

We was 3rd in the league not so long ago and the lack of any kind of excitement or even interest from a lot of fans I speak to , was quite honestly frightening 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, The Horse said:

Give me a reason to make my voice hoarse

image.png.3efab35b664f5d9cdf7140de82f11982.png

• Haha 2

I was done in August.

Went to;

Owls vs. Luton - £36

Owls vs. QPR - £36

Man City vs. Tottenham - £70.

So including transport, food and drink. In August alone. I spent nearly £200 on football. Came away with little enjoyment. 

Said to myself, all I'm doing is contributing to paying another man's wage. 

Decided to jack it all in and have an extra holiday this year. Put yourself first

• Agree 1

I'm sure they do a small blue tablet for this but I can't think what its called......

• Haha 1

Thinking about this some more I think it’s failure to meet up to expectation that is behind it. 

In the days of Lee Stafford and not having any cash it was of a community feel - win or lose we were together. Now we have proper funding we expect more and crucially we expect a return to the premier league after 20 years. 

Every time we fail on the pitch it’s like a punch in the face of our own expectation. 

• Agree 3

Many of the issues at present stem from Bruce doing what he did in pre season. 

• Agree 1