Can't get excited anymore.

Guest The Horse

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s an ageing, stale squad

It’s also an ageing stale fan base. I saw nearly as many walking sticks as kids in the North Stand today. 

I can’t remember the last time I heard someone in the middle of the North Stand swear even. 

As I said in another thread I took a Leeds supporting kid to a Wednesday match last season. He wanted to know why people didn’t sing and thought it was very chilled compared to Elland Road. 

4 hours ago, The Horse said:

Does anyone else feel that going to Hillsborough is more of an obligation than something to look forward to these days?

Dull football that fails to energise the crowd.

No desire. No hunger.

It just feels like I'm hoping we score rather than getting excited by a team playing with determination to put the ball in the net.

I hate to say it but we play more and more like Monk's Birmingham did.

Slow, ponderous and easy to nullify.

Please, Wednesday... Give me a reason to make my voice hoarse through shouting and singing again.

It started around the year 2000; this millennium has been harsh on us Wednesday supporters. 

4 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

The atmosphere today was abhorrent. Genuinely poisonous. No singing, just 90s minutes of getting heckled about crying on wembley way today. The sanitisation process hits the next low for me. Absolutely the opposite reason why I fell in love with football, its absolutely silent. 

True, but only the fans can change that atmosphere. It's a viscous circle at the moment.

As a fanbase I think we have to decide what we want. If we expecting promotion any time soon or champagne football then we are going to be bitterly disappointed. 

Think back to Wembley against Hull. We lost after a similarly dull performance, we weren't crying though we're we? We sang for our team, it was a carnival atmosphere, so much so we spoilt their celebrations. Nothing would spoil our day.

Why can we do that there but not at Hillsborough?

All I'm saying our attitude and mindset can have an impact on the players.

• Thanks 1

As I've mentioned to some posters in conversation on here before, I only really go now because my daughter enjoys going (this is her 3rd season going) so it's our bonding time when I have her on my weekends or during the holidays. We've both got memberships but it still costs enough even with those and I have to say its painful paying money out when you witness guys on good money not showing an ounce of care or determination playing for your boyhood club.

I did throw a strop today when we walked out of the ground and I told her I dont think we are going to bother again going this season we will find something else to do, I've actually considered using the money to start going to watch the Steelers ice hockey team, something i did when I was younger and loved it.

I'm just losing interest in the game in general, growing up as I was lucky enough to see the likes of Hirst, then Di Canio and Carbone but after that it's been alot of misery watching the club yoyo between the Championship and League 1, the well known money issues and debt that crippled Wednesday for so long, but despite that I think the reasonable prices for tickets made it more bearable to watch and expectation levels were low, and ofcourse there was the good moments (Playoff Final in Cardiff, Wycombe at home last game of the season)

Since DC has come into the club the expectation levels have risen major, at first it seemed we now had the financial backing we had craved for so long. Unfortunately, despite a couple of close calls in the playoffs, we still find ourselves in the same position with potential financial crisis on the horizon. I generally believe this has effected the fanbase and has played a major contribution towards the atmosphere at Hillsborough on matchdays, folk are starting to lose hope in the whole regime and fed up of feeling let down time and time again. Lastly throw into the mix seeing them lot down the road enjoying the riches of the premiership, don't care what anyone says that is also playing a major part in the whole negative atmosphere. Sorry guys I know its a really long post but I've walked out of Hillsborough today fuming and witnessed plenty of others feeling the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Hasn't that been the case for most of our lifetime

TBH no. In my lifetime. Wilkinson, Atkinson, Francis, Sturrock, Laws, Megson, Carlos (1season), Bruce (4 months) produced positive teams playing positive football with committed and motivated players. Not always good performances or good results but managers and teams you could get behind. 

SAG / Council / Leaving at Penistone Road end

No pay on gate (just little hut with stupid queues)

High prices

Dire performances on the pitch

Players arguing amongst themselves

The other lot

FFP threats to deduct major points 

Forestieri injured 

No decent half time game

But I still enjoy going and look forward to it. I always will. It’s what we do. 

We’re too accepting of mediocrity. We’ve been conditioned to accept our lot with just a few quiet grumbles. 

Other clubs would have their fans kicking up a s*******m with how we’ve fared over the last few years. The club has had its reputation tarnished, and we’ve been made to look like fools by our city rivals.

7 hours ago, The Horse said:

Does anyone else feel that going to Hillsborough is more of an obligation than something to look forward to these days?

Dull football that fails to energise the crowd.

No desire. No hunger.

It just feels like I'm hoping we score rather than getting excited by a team playing with determination to put the ball in the net.

I hate to say it but we play more and more like Monk's Birmingham did.

Slow, ponderous and easy to nullify.

Please, Wednesday... Give me a reason to make my voice hoarse through shouting and singing again.

Summed up to perfection this post.

This season could be my last I think, just had enough with the club really.

8 hours ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

VAR in the prem, timewasting, pathetic players feigning injury, stop start games and dire referees are all making me slowly fall out of love with football I'm afraid. 

And the blunts are doing well .. doesnt help. 

100% agree. Football is getting worse and worse. 

Success at this level is not all about having the biggest wage budget, as many teams have found to their detriment. Many of the parachute teams have struggled - Stoke being a prime example this season. Our neighbors have shown how to get out of this league on a smaller budget.

It all comes down to recruitment of players with the right mindset and an organized gameplan. Teams that get in opponents faces, hunt in packs and go out with a 90+ minute determination to get 3 points through an attack minded philosophy tend to do well. Sorry to say, but this was summed up to me when we played the pigs at home and pulled it back to 2-2 and we were baying for blood. Any other away team would have folded or defended like mad, but they just kept to their attacking gameplan and stuck another 2 past us. That is the mentality which breeds success.

We are miles away from that as we sit deep, don't close teams down and force errors, defend much more than we attack, and often there is a big disconnect between the midfield and the forwards where we rarely support the forward line in numbers. We have no real pace to get forward quickly and we are so pedestrian, it is easy for teams to defend against us. Let us not even go to us having every player in our own box in the last few minutes when we enter panic mode to hold onto a lead.

We have failed to recruit players to adopt this system, they are too old and too comfortable just regurgitating the usual tedious displays in the vast majority of games.

Is this Monk's style? I don't know, but it's much better to watch as a fan and delivers a greater chance of success. We had that energy and attacking desire in Carlos's first season before he lost his bottle and went all defensive. So, for me, Monk needs to grasp the nettle and do a lot of wheeling and dealing in this transfer window to oust players who don't have the engine to play in such a system, even if it means we have to subsidize wages to get rid. Use the net savings to bring in energetic and hungry younger players, who have pace, even if they might be unproven. When the pigs signed some of their players we were thinking 'who?' but it was more important they fitted the system. It's going to take 2 or 3 windows but at least we will see more desire and commitment on the field and a never say die attitude. We won't win every game, but what a refreshing change that we will give it everything from start to finish and not just sit back hoping to lob long balls forward to an isolated attacker like we often do now.

Can it be less successful or less exciting than now? - I doubt it.

• Like 1

I have to keep reminding myself we’re not bottom of the Meadowhall Sunday league every time I come and read a few threads on this forum,  I don’t think I’ve ever known it as bad 

The fan base has completely given up, lot of dummy spitting going off because of

how well it’s going on other side of city , the atmosphere at Hillsborough even when we get a result is dreadful 

We was 3rd in the league not so long ago and the lack of any kind of excitement or even interest from a lot of fans I speak to , was quite honestly frightening 

I was done in August.

Went to;

Owls vs. Luton - £36

Owls vs. QPR - £36

Man City vs. Tottenham - £70.

So including transport, food and drink. In August alone. I spent nearly £200 on football. Came away with little enjoyment. 

Said to myself, all I'm doing is contributing to paying another man's wage. 

Decided to jack it all in and have an extra holiday this year. Put yourself first

Thinking about this some more I think it’s failure to meet up to expectation that is behind it. 

In the days of Lee Stafford and not having any cash it was of a community feel - win or lose we were together. Now we have proper funding we expect more and crucially we expect a return to the premier league after 20 years. 

Every time we fail on the pitch it’s like a punch in the face of our own expectation.