Can't get excited anymore.

Guest The Horse

Someone or something is killing football.

Hillsborough is the quietest and most apathetic in its history.

Nobody pays on the day anymore. The ground is full of people who go because the club already has their money, and then sit there in silence wondering why they watch this crap.

Been saying it for 3 years, something has to change.

• Thanks 1

The championship is very poor this year as well. If you look at it,  we’ve thrown away so many points this season by giving away so many late goals. We could easily be third now. 

There will be a poor side that gets promoted from the playoffs this season. Could it be Millwall - they are currently 6th?

1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

Chansiri won't want a play-off chance missed, as well as Monk has done with none of his own players these kinds of awful results must put his job at risk.

For all we know he is on a short contract.

I don't think Chansiri has too much to worry about, this side is a million miles away from being genuine contenders. Soft under belly. We'll roll over, you can tickle us. Pathetic.

43 minutes ago, Morepork said:

We're just seeing a levelling off.......in this league we're probably just above average on ability and well below average on the mental elements of the game. Strength of character, sacrificial mindset, never say die attitude.....all the things that can make an average team over-perform.

Said it last week, I can take any result if I'm watching players give everything for the shirt and fans. We're a million miles from a team like that. Everyone on that field is for sale in my book, even the 2-3 very good players we have. You'd have to be a little concerned right now that the timing of this poor run will push DC to hold back on any promotion push in the transfer market. That said, he may very well still role the dice.

^ this

40 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Players over coached, time wasting tactics, diving tactics. It’s all about getting a result at whatever cost 

^ Don't think our squad got the memo 

25 minutes ago, The Horse said:

That's it for me. You've nailed it for me too.
I fell in love with the raw emotion. The passion, swearing and singing.
It was too young at the time to understand when I first started going but it's like a cathartic release from the working week, family, women.. responsibility.
Unfortunatley, sanitised is exactly what it is becoming.
But equally, it was only a few years ago that we had our mojo back under Carlos' first season. That amazing night against Brighton, the league one promotion season.

We're a big old club. We really are.
It's in us all. It's still there bubbling away under the surface despite the sanitisation.
Just give us something to shout, swear and sing about.

And make us desperate for that beer afterwards to soothe the throat.

^ this.

I used to be routinely hoarse for 24 hours following most games.

Win, lose or draw it was exciting, got the blood pumping.

Maybe I'm a bit long in the tooth but it mostly feels like pedestrian, boring, paceless, passionless football.

I can't help but hanker for the heady experiences of years gone by.

It's the hope that kills you.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

Well, we weren’t like that under Bruce - and he had largely the same squad of players.

Since then we’ve added the likes of Borner, Harris, Luongo, Murphy etc.  None of those are world beaters but all have been decent additions to the squad.

Monk should be getting more out of this team IMO.

We’ve also lost Lazaar, Aarons, Hector, Hooper, Boyd and Matias.

Borner is a good signing but the rest are pretty average. Murphy is poor most of the time and is too weak on the ball... Luongo is steady but he’s basically a centre mid from a lower mid table championship team. Harris is an outlet for the ball which you need but he has zero end product most of the time, just gets the ball and runs at goal every time, no intelligence to his play 

Add to that, FF is rarely involved and Reach is in poor form.. there’s just no spark or creativity

Squad was 3-4 players away from being able to challenge for the autos in summer 2016. Instead we spent heavily on a number of poor additions who added nothing to the collective (apart from Fletcher). Squad has been getting gradually worse since then.. need more quality in attacking areas which costs money. Money I doubt Chansiri has and even if he did, isn’t allowed to spend 

I watched Celtic vs Rangers the other day on Sky - There was an incredible atmosphere, players giving their all, everyone looking to go forward, some strong tackles, good football, and a lot of desire... I haven't seen that in an English game in some years now (sadly).

English football as a whole is just milking the public of money, and over the coming years, more and more are going to realise it's not "entertainment" anymore.

As a start, the game needs to be changed to two 30 minute halves, where the clock stops when the ball isn't in play. Currently the ball is in play an average of 55 minutes.

VAR is needed in the game, but needs to be setup where if any part of a player is onside, then it's play on

Things like FFP need to go away, but clubs should be shaped as a complete non-profit outfit. All money in and out should come from the owners pocket, with the clubs always ending the year at net zero, so it's never at risk.

TV money should be distributed more evenly across the leagues, and based on finishing position in the previous year - It should step down in an equal amount per position, so top of the Championship earned just a small amount less than bottom of the Premiership, and no other financial support/advantage should be given.

1 hour ago, Kameron said:

If the shithousery being reported on the radio is true you have to ask what have we become, turning off power to the dressing room is poor, I don’t want a manager at our club that is capable of such crappy tactics.

He'd need key access to the upper level plant room to isolate the MCB for the ring in the away team dressing room ...

Which would be highly unlikely...

Now if Stuart Pearce was our manager I'd be inclined to believe this theory would have substance ....

In summary what we need is a bloody 11kv sub station wired to the home dressing room just to create some kind of spark ......

We have been pretty Gash of late.......

Just seen that Brighton Chappies Overhead thingy against Chelsea ...

My word .....

Looking forward to the 5th round .....WTF:

• Haha 2

Unfortunately our club needs a change of ownership. We've had no identity for years. Can't see anyone wanting to buy us though with what's looming over us.

I would much rather watch a team of fresh talent who have a desire to fight, learn and entertain. They may not get it right every time but it's clear to see when these things are in place.

In the background we should be highlighting talent from lower leagues. I want us to be a club who runs as a business. Bring in players as an investment, not for short term gain as that's too much of a gamble. Sell players when the price is right (as all teams do) and reinvest. This means having the right people in the background - something at least to thank Bruce for.

All that would be a start and it's not a quick overnight fix. I'm not sure getting to the PL fixes what's not right at the club.

Guest LondonOwl313

Would also say you need some unpredictability to your play. Under Carlos we were seen by some on here as a sideways passing team, had lots of technical players but no pace, physicality etc. So people moaned because sometimes we couldn’t break down the weaker teams that parked the bus. That was despite us dominating a lot of sides

Now it’s kind of the opposite in that we’ve added speed merchants and play more direct but there’s little creativity or football intelligence. Unsurprisingly the games are tight but we can’t break teams down with a final pass.. we do better against the cannon fodder but not as well against the top teams.

imagine the 2016 team with players like Harris on the bench to bring on to stretch play if the usual set up wasn’t working.. that’s what was needed. We’re miles off being a top side now and can’t see how it can be turned around without spending money 

22 minutes ago, David Somni Jennings said:

I watched Celtic vs Rangers the other day on Sky - There was an incredible atmosphere, players giving their all, everyone looking to go forward, some strong tackles, good football, and a lot of desire... I haven't seen that in an English game in some years now (sadly).

English football as a whole is just milking the public of money, and over the coming years, more and more are going to realise it's not "entertainment" anymore.

As a start, the game needs to be changed to two 30 minute halves, where the clock stops when the ball isn't in play. Currently the ball is in play an average of 55 minutes.

VAR is needed in the game, but needs to be setup where if any part of a player is onside, then it's play on

Things like FFP need to go away, but clubs should be shaped as a complete non-profit outfit. All money in and out should come from the owners pocket, with the clubs always ending the year at net zero, so it's never at risk.

TV money should be distributed more evenly across the leagues, and based on finishing position in the previous year - It should step down in an equal amount per position, so top of the Championship earned just a small amount less than bottom of the Premiership, and no other financial support/advantage should be given.

To add some balance mate, there's going to be an atmosphere with Celtic V Rangers, as there would be were we to play the pigs. But I take your point.

31 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Someone or something is killing football.

Hillsborough is the quietest and most apathetic in its history.

Nobody pays on the day anymore. The ground is full of people who go because the club already has their money, and then sit there in silence wondering why they watch this crap.

Been saying it for 3 years, something has to change.

Agree, as I just posted, in brief, need to go back to t he bottom and fight back with pride, fed up of this sh!t

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Unfortunately our club needs a change of ownership. We've had no identity for years. Can't see anyone wanting to buy us though with what's looming over us.

I would much rather watch a team of fresh talent who have a desire to fight, learn and entertain. They may not get it right every time but it's clear to see when these things are in place.

In the background we should be highlighting talent from lower leagues. I want us to be a club who runs as a business. Bring in players as an investment, not for short term gain as that's too much of a gamble. Sell players when the price is right (as all teams do) and reinvest. This means having the right people in the background - something at least to thank Bruce for.

All that would be a start and it's not a quick overnight fix. I'm not sure getting to the PL fixes what's not right at the club.

Going well for Barnsley that model. 

• Like 1

Guest Ferkorf

I felt that going to home games had become more like a part time job at weekends. More often than not I was coming home miserable from the terrible football served up (in the jos sacking season).

I've endured many of worse seasons but the atmosphere at the time was just toxic and it was time I hung my hat

I work abroad so don't get to games too often these days, but I managed to go today. Must admit, I was surprised at how quiet the stadium was. We used to complain that the atmosphere was dependent on the band leading the songs or there was too much booing, but at least when we were booing Ashley Westwood we were making some kind of noise. And these were in the days when normally there were a few fewer than 24,000 in.

I guess there are a few factors - higher ticket prices, an older average age in the crowd, etc. But the style of football can't help either... what's the solution?

It’s making my 8 hour round trip less appealing each week; but I’ll whinge and moan until the next home game and I’ll set off in the hope of something different..

What made it worse today is that the wife thought it would be fun to spend last night in Sheffield to celebrate NYE so we had the added expense of a hotel too

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

I've been a St holder for over 30 years and my current three year ST runs out this season and its going to take a hell of a lot of convincing to get me to re new it. 

And that is the biggest problem that DC is going to have from now on,Especially given the utter dross that has been served up in the last two season.The poor quality of football doesn't not in my view,justify the extornate ticket prices.:tango:

• Like 1

I think we all need to know what the EFL punishment will be. Chansiri’s plan to delay it until we are promoted or at least in the mix looks to have been scuppered by the last 3 performances. We’re heading back to midtable so we may as well take the punishment now and deal with it. Then we can know what we are fighting for, who is fighting for us, and when a new owner can come in 

• Like 1