Can't get excited anymore.

Guest The Horse

Apathy is well and truly set in with the fanbase. It’s like a morgue down at Hillsborough at the moment. After the first round of fixtures, we were 3rd but there’s no buzz at all. In fact it’s dead! Is it the points deduction hanging over us, pigs doing well, 2 failed playoff campaigns?

Its not a pleasurable experience at the moment and not something I look forward to.

20 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Do people think the standard of football on show in the top 2 divisions is at an all time low ?

Apart from a few Premier teams everyone seems much the same................mediocre.

I wonder why that is ?

Ive been saying this for a while. Obviously Liverpool are playing some exceptional football and Kevin de Bruyne is incredible. But yes, the product has gone south big time. The championship is the worst it’s been for as long as I can remember. 

I’m not sure what people expect.

This group of players are capable of putting performances in but are also capable of being abysmal as we’ve seen the past few games. Losing Fletch and Luongo hasn’t helped admittedly.

We’ve looked decent at times this season, but we’ve looked tired this past week. Harris looks burnt out, so that threat he’s provided for the past few months has gone. Reach isn’t hitting the levels he did last season, so we’ve lost that quality. Our strike force without Fletch is pretty poor. 

We are a mid table team, but we expect them to produce more. Third in the league was very misleading at the time. 

It’s an ageing, stale squad with a few neat additions in Iorfa, Luongo, Borner, Harris - but that’s not enough. We need better wingers, better strikers and better midfield players. Like Bruce said, three transfer windows. Monk would work a miracle if he gets this squad into the play offs. To put it bluntly, they’re not good enough. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

Guest The Horse
26 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

The atmosphere today was abhorrent. Genuinely poisonous. No singing, just 90s minutes of getting heckled about crying on wembley way today. The sanitisation process hits the next low for me. Absolutely the opposite reason why I fell in love with football, its absolutely silent. 

That's it for me. You've nailed it for me too.
I fell in love with the raw emotion. The passion, swearing and singing.
It was too young at the time to understand when I first started going but it's like a cathartic release from the working week, family, women.. responsibility.
Unfortunatley, sanitised is exactly what it is becoming.
But equally, it was only a few years ago that we had our mojo back under Carlos' first season. That amazing night against Brighton, the league one promotion season.

We're a big old club. We really are.
It's in us all. It's still there bubbling away under the surface despite the sanitisation.
Just give us something to shout, swear and sing about.

And make us desperate for that beer afterwards to soothe the throat.

Guest LittleG

Feel the same way; main reason I go now is to spend time with my grandson plus as a season ticket holder I just feel obliged to turn up.

We’ve played a similar style of football since Carlos’ second season ive felt. That’s when I started getting apathetic about the whole thing. We fluked our way into the play offs on the back of a poor league.

Its fine playing simple/ugly football, we had it under Megson. But we won games and we had a team that showed fight and ‘pashun’.

Harsh for anyone to blame Monk too much. He’s got a difficult job and not the best selection of players to build a proper 18 out of.

Had a season ticket year off last year as it had become dreadful. Bruce getting the managers job etc made my choice a simple one as I believed if anyone could he could. 

No way will I renew next season if this continues without the club showing any kind of heart and ambition

Edited by modboy

1 hour ago, The Horse said:

Does anyone else feel that going to Hillsborough is more of an obligation than something to look forward to these days?

Dull football that fails to energise the crowd.

No desire. No hunger.

It just feels like I'm hoping we score rather than getting excited by a team playing with determination to put the ball in the net.

I hate to say it but we play more and more like Monk's Birmingham did.

Slow, ponderous and easy to nullify.

Please, Wednesday... Give me a reason to make my voice hoarse through shouting and singing again.

Blazin.jpg

It’s strange that no manager since Atkinson has really moulded a team that seems able to perform. OK we had a little success with Sturrock and Carlos had a decent first year but we seem unable to appoint a manager and backroom team that are competent in getting the team to achieve success.

It doesn’t help I guess that the squad we currently have lack the capability, desire confidence and skill to get us out of the Championship.

Just strange that given the amount of appointments we have made the only consistent outcome (irrespective of which division we were / are in) seems to be that we never get the best from the players.

1 minute ago, GMOwl72 said:

It’s strange that no manager since Atkinson has really moulded a team that seems able to perform. OK we had a little success with Sturrock and Carlos had a decent first year but we seem unable to appoint a manager and backroom team that are competent in getting the team to achieve success.

It doesn’t help I guess that the squad we currently have lack the capability, desire confidence and skill to get us out of the Championship.

Just strange that given the amount of appointments we have made the only consistent outcome (irrespective of which division we were / are in) seems to be that we never get the best from the players.

Maybe because apart from Bruce we always go for the "cheap" option? 

1 hour ago, Kameron said:

If the shithousery being reported on the radio is true you have to ask what have we become, turning off power to the dressing room is poor, I don’t want a manager at our club that is capable of such crappy tactics.

It seems it was the plugs not the whole power.

Are you suggesting that this was down to Monk?

We've been attritional since CC's 2nd season - we hope to grind out results rather than pressing teams.

We're slow and generally predictable. I suspect Monk is struggling to raise any enthusiasm after these loses. 

The best I think this team/squad can achieve is mid-table, so we'll continue to play the same way with various degrees of success until May, when we can hopefully re-build a squad who will give the fans some hope they can get genuinely excited at home.

I was (reluctantly) going to go today, but none of the three mates I go with (all season ticket holders) wanted to go, which is understandable. Glad I didn’t go!

For me, it’s not even largely about the style/quality of football, it’s just the way the game itself is, coupled with an experience that is outdated in the modern sporting world.

The culture of English football has been completely consumed by money, to the point where you’re either:

> a ‘top 5/6 club’

> a team happy to tread water in the Premier League

> a club having no choice but to rack-up debt in order to compete

I’ve got to the point where I think IF we did get back to the Premier League, is the payoff (aside from financial stability for the club) actually that great as a fan? 

As for the game day experience, it’s pretty dire isn’t it? 

I think when you see how a lot of the European clubs do it, coupled with events like the NFL hosting regular games in England, you start to acknowledge how behind we really are in terms of ‘fan experience’.

Id be very surprised if I get a season ticket next year as it stands...

• Thanks 1

Just now, standerino said:

I was (reluctantly) going to go today, but none of the three mates I go with (all season ticket holders) wanted to go, which is understandable. Glad I didn’t go!

For me, it’s not even largely about the style/quality of football, it’s just the way the game itself is, coupled with an experience that is outdated in the modern sporting world.

The culture of English football has been completely consumed by money, to the point where you’re either:

> a ‘top 5/6 club’

> a team happy to tread water in the Premier League

> a club having no choice but to rack-up debt in order to compete

I’ve got to the point where I think IF we did get back to the Premier League, is the payoff (aside from financial stability for the club) actually that great as a fan? 

As for the game day experience, it’s pretty dire isn’t it? 

I think when you see how a lot of the European clubs do it, coupled with events like the NFL hosting regular games in England, you start to acknowledge how behind we really are in terms of ‘fan experience’.

Id be very surprised if I get a season ticket next year as it stands...

Those kop toilets next to the south is our club in a nutshell

19 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

We’ve played a similar style of football since Carlos’ second season ive felt. That’s when I started getting apathetic about the whole thing. We fluked our way into the play offs on the back of a poor league.

Its fine playing simple/ugly football, we had it under Megson. But we won games and we had a team that showed fight and ‘pashun’.

Harsh for anyone to blame Monk too much. He’s got a difficult job and not the best selection of players to build a proper 18 out of.

We might not have played free flowing football that season but you don't fluke finishing in 4th place with 81 points. The standard of the division is much weaker this season than it was then as well. I can't remember seeing too many genuinely good games in the Championship this season, that wasn't the case in 2016-17.