Same tactics get same results

Lets not excuse Monk from this sh*tshow. Does anyone on here reckon he said to DC on the interview that this is not his squad so don't expect much? No chance.

He'd have been right up DC's ar*e telling him what he could do with such a talented squad ... DC says he expects top 2!

He keeps praising the players efforts and they're a great group to work with?? Don't make me fkn laugh Garry.

If it's such a good group then it must be the tactics?

1 minute ago, S1Owl said:

We got to 3rd, maybe played some poor teams but scored goals away, unbeaten at home in ages..So what's happened. 

We lost our only goalscorer to illness and showed that we do not have a clue without him.

2 minutes ago, Daz said:

We lost our only goalscorer to illness and showed that we do not have a clue without him.

i reckon more to it than that.. I think they hate playing at home.. It's dire,better atmospheres in pre season friendlies

Edited by S1Owl

21 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Nuhiu starting 

Bannan and Hutchinson in midfield 

Always gonna get same results

Monk needs to learn very quickly 

Its failed for 5 year ,not gonna start working now 

Spot on bud we can all see it surely monk can as well ? Nuhui should never,ever start,awful, but not alone....

The tactics are awful. We play a system that requires two high energy central midfielders, able to get up and down the pitch, totally unsuited to the players we actually have. Insist on playing two out and out wingers, with no noticeable attacking advantage. We ignore all the modern day approaches to scoring goals, preferring a front pairing that might have been half decent 6 years ago, but won’t trouble latter day defences It’s dull to watch, might produce the occasional result, but ultimately, won’t see us achieve any long term success

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

i reckon more to it than that.. I think they hate playing at home.. It's dire,better atmospheres in pre season friendlies

It's a horrible viscous circle.

The crowd are VERY quiet and expect the team to do something to make them wake up - the majority downbeat from years of disappointment and lack of inspiration looking at our players/line up/lack of even remotely dangerous strikers. Frankly - we know a narrow defeat was very likely today, like we do most other weeks. 

The players know this. They are doing their 'best' but you can see the level of belief and confidence - particularly after the last couple of games - is incredibly fragile and very low at the moment. They dont really know what to do to make it better, and make awful panic-ridden decisions.  They get little encouragement from the crowd - that's understandable.  They concede, and fragility kicks in again. They try to come back but everyone in that stadium - players, manager - looks at the complete lack of quality, threat and belief and knows it just ain't going to happen. They start giving up, knowing it themselves.

They trudge off to a mix of boos and tame polite applause for their efforts.

We repeat the same charade next home game - players a little more fragile, fans  little more apathetic and frustrated.

Horrible, horrible reality.

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The tactics are awful. We play a system that requires two high energy central midfielders, able to get up and down the pitch, totally unsuited to the players we actually have. Insist on playing two out and out wingers, with no noticeable attacking advantage. We ignore all the modern day approaches to scoring goals, preferring a front pairing that might have been half decent 6 years ago, but won’t trouble latter day defences It’s dull to watch, might produce the occasional result, but ultimately, won’t see us achieve any long term success

Played 4-5-1/4-3-3 last game and it was our short passing game that let us down. 

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

and only half decent, at that There’s an argument for replacing all our attacking players

Think all the strikers are out of contract in the summer, possibly bar Rhodes (some say this summer, some say next. I think its next).

Other than Fletcher there's no real case to keep any of them, and that's only if Fletch is willing to accept an extension on a big wage reduction (and if he hasn't gone to WBA!)

3 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

It's a horrible viscous circle.

The crowd are VERY quiet and expect the team to do something to make them wake up - the majority downbeat from years of disappointment and lack of inspiration looking at our players/line up/lack of even remotely dangerous strikers. Frankly - we know a narrow defeat was very likely today, like we do most other weeks. 

The players know this. They are doing their 'best' but you can see the level of belief and confidence - particularly after the last couple of games - is incredibly fragile and very low at the moment. They dont really know what to do to make it better, and make awful panic-ridden decisions.  They get little encouragement from the crowd - that's understandable.  They concede, and fragility kicks in again. They try to come back but everyone in that stadium - players, manager - looks at the complete lack of quality, threat and belief and knows it just ain't going to happen. They start giving up, knowing it themselves.

They trudge off to a mix of boos and tame polite applause for their efforts.

We repeat the same charade next home game - players a little more fragile, fans  little more apathetic and frustrated.

Horrible, horrible reality.

it was upbeat in the 80s n 90's, even when losing there'd be an atmosphere.., as you say it's apathy but only half a dozen years ago we created a great atmosphere v Wycombe when we needed it

Not really the time to experiment with games coming every other day, but I’d love to see us play three at the back. Iorfa and Borner look more than comfortable bringing the ball out with Lees in the middle maybe? 

Fox as back up for Borner, Reach goes in at left wing back or Penney if recalled. Moses on right. Harris either off striker or as sub if needed to change things up. 

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

True Snoots, but switching Reach to midfield, hardly gives that box to box energy that is required

Certainly not.

But I come back to the same point.

Due to outrageous overspending on spent players in the 'glory days' of our play off seasons....Our previous two managers have had just £500k to spend and Monk has so far had nothing. 

He can move all the pawns around the chess board in whatever configuration he wants but they are still pawns.

• Like 1

Dont normally like 352/343 but some teams have the players like pigs, so maybe it would suit us better given our wingers are poor or inconsistent.

352 with reach lwb, harris up top with fletch, and if ff ever gets fit we could go 343

44 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

and yet he says, he doesn’t expect much movement in the window Whoopee do

I just heard that in Monk’s interview.

We should be busting a gut to wheel and deal to get rid of deadwood (even if we have to subsidize part of their wages to attract other clubs) while using some of the savings to bring in some energy on loan into our midfield and attack. Should be at least 3 or 4 outgoings and at least 3 incoming, but it sounds like it won’t happen.

Wouldn't it be refreshing to have all this lined up early in the window instead of waiting until the last day to see what leftovers are available? After the last 3 games, sticking with what we have is just accepting disappointment, and shouldn’t be an option. 

23 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

it was upbeat in the 80s n 90's, even when losing there'd be an atmosphere.., as you say it's apathy but only half a dozen years ago we created a great atmosphere v Wycombe when we needed it

This bloody Wycombe game... it's a complete one-off in hundreds

8 minutes ago, Daz said:

Wouldn't it be refreshing to have all this lined up early in the window instead of waiting until the last day to see what leftovers are available?

This 100%

Looking at the news about Blackpool signing Thorniley this morning is staggering - a team that hasn't just realised January has suddenly arrived, they've been planning it.

It relies on a recruitment network, leadership and clear decision making.

I doubt Monk and Chansiri and whoever else might be involved have even discussed transfers yet.

In fairness, it reminds me of my own inept planning at work - often belatedly doing something for an event in a rush because it wasnt planned in well enough. All comes about due to bad planners, like me, and firefighting too much other stuff going on

... like bloody fighting the EFL, for example.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Certainly not.

But I come back to the same point.

Due to outrageous overspending on spent players in the 'glory days' of our play off seasons....Our previous two managers have had just £500k to spend and Monk has so far had nothing. 

He can move all the pawns around the chess board in whatever configuration he wants but they are still pawns.

We are where we are  In my opinion, we have two stand out quality players, in Borner and Bannan, as long as he’s played in a three. There are other good players to back them up, but perhaps 2 or 3 key ingredients are missing These missing ingredients mean that whether we set up 4-3-3, or 4-4-2, something is missing That’s why we absolutely need to bring in the players to remedy this. Loans will do it, we don’t need experience, we have plenty of that, we need legs and energy. Most top flight loanees will have that, and probably the required level of skill also Allowing that these are the issues that leaves Monk, slightly hamstrung, he does need to make the most of his resources. Is he doing that, I’m not sure that he is