Tom Lees

Guest Bulgaria
21 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Lees scored from pretty much the last corner we slung into the box, after that we tried fancy dan short corners and near post skidders.

Just lift it into the box and let em scrap it out.

We scored our last 3 goals from corners so what do we do?

Try short corners and fizz it up.

Only Wednesday. Thick as pig poo .

4 hours ago, notts0wl said:

2 goals in 2 games. Outstanding. All overshadowed by results but worth remembering. Lets keep the spirit up. 

Well done son. Haters gunna hate. Keep it up! Loving our set pieces. 

Plus, he hasn't been perfect but he has defended better than Iorfa these last few games.

Still our best CB, and we are lucky to have three very good ones this season.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Plus, he hasn't been perfect but he has defended better than Iorfa these last few games.

Lees has always been more comfortable with a calm head beside him (e.g. Loovens). Borner has the same effect, Iorfa seems to make him panic (Borner seems to have a calming effect on Iorfa too).

I'd concentrate on keeping Lees and Borner together and mould Iorfa into a permanent right back.

PS. Get Bamba from Cardiff as a 3rd centre back.

I have to disagree. We have looked defensively solid until he came back into side. His defensive positioning has led to quite a few of our goals against. 

Look at where he is v Stoke where ball gets recycled into our box and he's 10 yards behind rest of defence playing them onside.

Great, 2 goals scored and 5 conceded in 2 games.

Borner and Iorfa at CH every day of the week.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Which two would you pick as your best pairing? Lees and Borner?

Playing with Iorfa, Lees has to be a left-sided centre back which is not his natural position. Seems better with Borner. Iorfa so reminds me of Carlton Palmer when he goes forward that I am surprised they haven’t tried him in a central midfield holding role.

Iorfa and Lees have both been off the boil last few games

Dont just single Lees out - he’s actually bagged 2 goals, where Iorfa has probably been the worse off 

5 goals in 2 games - a few of them could have been stopped early, but we were caught napping from the off all over the park against Cardiff

39 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

I have to disagree. We have looked defensively solid until he came back into side. His defensive positioning has led to quite a few of our goals against. 

Look at where he is v Stoke where ball gets recycled into our box and he's 10 yards behind rest of defence playing them onside.

I agree. Lees is not a calm ball playing CB. Borner is, Iorfa is, even hutch is when he's in there. 

All I'm saying the back line seems to be more panicked since Lees came back in. It wasn't long ago since most on here were singing the praises of the Iorfa, borner pairing. It has to be said we seemed more solid and dangerous on the counter.

I think in the new year/ next season there is still room for Lees but either as part of a back three or as I've suggested before with Iorfa in front as a midfield destroyer. But this will need a system change and we can't afford to experiment  this campaign if we want to maintain our lofty status.

Edited by OwlBiSeeinThi

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Ball watching for both the Cardiff goals. No use scoring goals if you are responsible for conceding them. 

Lees , Borner and Iorfa are all cracking players, why not play all 3 ?

Then you get 3. Central midfielders which may get Bannan higher up the Park 

Wing backs Reach is made for it 

Harris has done a lot of defensive work recently 

Fletch and ? Up top 

There’s a lot of recency bias going on here, almost revisionism.

I remember people lauding Lees after Charlton, Forest and another game I can’t remember which.

I also remember people talking about our panicky defending without Lees against WBA, and even more so after our late Capitulation against Blackburn.

And how dodgy Börner was against Brum, and how more settled we were with Lees in the side.

He hasn’t been perfect, but neither were things before he came back (remember our late goals conceded and lack of a win in 5 or so games?)

Edited by McRightSide

22 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Lees , Borner and Iorfa are all cracking players, why not play all 3 ?

Then you get 3. Central midfielders which may get Bannan higher up the Park 

Wing backs Reach is made for it 

Harris has done a lot of defensive work recently 

Fletch and ? Up top 

Really attractive idea imo.

Reach and Harris are real workhorses. The thought of them getting the ball wide from a CB is really exciting. They can both defend, especially being covered by those 3 strong CBS.