Jordan Thorniley

I hope it works out well for him and us, as a poster said he needs to be playing regularly now. It is always hard to know how a player is going to perform once they feel established in a side.

He had a good season with us last year and showed himself to be a decent communicator/organiser but more importantly more robust than the club captain he played with. 

Good luck to him,

Hoping for a good sell on fee because everytime I've seen him play it the championship, he looks like he's been doing it for years. Don't understand why we didn't loan him out. Hoping this window a few other promising youngsters get loaned out and some deadwood gets sold.

7 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It's not like this one if a 33 year old journeyman.

Thorniley is a young player (still 23) and has the potential to improve. 

Who'd have said 3 years ago when United signed Jack O Connoll from a championship side in L1 he'd end up good enough for the Prem.

This is one I think we'll end up regretting come 2025.

We need to sell players, but not youngsters with first team potential. It is also not likely his fee will be big enough right now to affect FFP massively anyway.

This.

a bit suspect at left back but at centre half Jordan was really impressive considering he usually played in either low on confidence Carlos teams or crap Jos teams. He was confident and did the simple stuff very well.

I actually hope we have a buy back clause. 

He’ll end up in the upper realms of championship football at the very least within 5 years. But really expect to see him play in the PL.

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Who'd have said 3 years ago when United signed Jack O Connoll from a championship side in L1 he'd end up good enough for the Prem.

Such a flawed, mediocrity-clinging argument. There are many more example of players who made a step down and found their level there or lower.

I think it’s been obvious for a couple of years he isn’t quite at the level for the Championship.

Maybe he works his way back here but IMO he lacks any thing like the touch and awareness to really succeed at this level.

I see him more like a Rob Jones type career, which he should definitely be proud of

As some have already said he needs to be playing and at the minute he has 3 maybe 4 centre backs in front of him and when you consider he was playing regularly for Jos, it's understandably a problem for him. He may do well at Blackpool, he may not but posters have been critical on here for us stockpiling players so IMO this is the start of the change in policy some have been screaming for?

14 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Honestly don’t know why we’ve sold him. Yes, we’ve got some very good central defenders and he wouldn’t get in but he’s certainly got what it takes to play in the championship. 

Good luck to the lad! 

don’t know why we’ve sold him??? Cos he’s not even making the bench and the lad obviously wants to be playing. 

No great loss considering we have 3 good CB’s and hutch can drop in there as well. Thorniley was never going to get a look in, if he was monk would have played him by now. 

23 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We need to sell players, but not youngsters with first team potential. It is also not likely his fee will be big enough right now to affect FFP massively anyway.

thorniley is 23...how long do you think he’s going to want to sit around for. Maybe the move is a personal request of a lad who actually wants to play rather than been a ball boy.

he’s played 30 games in 4 seasons with us, says it all really. Monk would have given him a chance if he thought he was a long term option I’m sure. 

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

thorniley is 23...how long do you think he’s going to want to sit around for. Maybe the move is a personal request of a lad who actually wants to play rather than been a ball boy.

he’s played 30 games in 4 seasons with us, says it all really. Monk would have given him a chance if he thought he was a long term option I’m sure. 

Suddenly Thorniley, who was pretty much never talked about, is going to be the next big thing. :duntmatter:

He's a decent defender. But we won't miss him. 60 games for a 23 year old isn't that great either. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Suddenly Thorniley, who was pretty much never talked about, is going to be the next big thing. :duntmatter:

He's a decent defender. But we won't miss him. 60 games for a 23 year old isn't that great either. 

bang right...typical Wednesday fans meltdown. He was half decent when he played, Will he be missed....absolutely not.

People keep saying he’s a young lad like he’s 18/19 in his breakthrough season...he’s 23 and our 5th choice CB having only played just 60 odd games. 

Move on chaps!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cowl said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're noting how many negs are in each debate? Seriously, get a grip.

Yep, that's exactly what I have been doing. 

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try to take it on board. Not sure what you have got a grip of in feeling the need to post that at gone 2am on New Years Day but there you go.

Still waiting for you to contribute something football related to the debate in this thread as that was an issue you highlighted........