Jordan Thorniley

Thorniley is decent enough but better than lees,iorfa & borner probably not at this moment in time so no surprise he cant get a game ...  could well turn out against Brighton so the chance to make a case for himself  .....Baker is probably 4th choice for the right back slot so he,s got no chance ... penney seems to be doing ok in Germany but so is van aken so the standard may be lower so hard to justify him getting in ahead of fox.

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Because it is the first time I have seen this thread and thought your reasoning for giving someone a neg was a little harsh, given that the person you criticised had also given sound reasons for the players not being in the side.

Have you passed any comment about the actual football debate in this thread yet, this is a football forum as you so rightly pointed out.

Have you?

I'm wondering though, are you as equally judicious about positive rep points being handed out, or is it only the negs?

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Have you?

I'm wondering though, are you as equally judicious about positive rep points being handed out, or is it only the negs?

Post below gives reference to this, I've highlighted it to help you out.

Negatives seem to stand out more than positives, not really sure where you are coming from on that, I generally don't feel the need to give out negatives unless the post is needlessly offensive or is clearly talking rubbish like a blunt on the wind up. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you chose to give him a negative for this, completely ignoring the fact that his post detailed the very good reasons why the 2 mentioned players are nowhere near our starting 11.

If someone is to start a thread questioning why a player is not playing for us then you would have expected them to know how to spell said players name and also have looked into it a bit first given that the reason he isn't in our squad is because he is on loan to a team in another country.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Post below gives reference to this, I've highlighted it to help you out.

Negatives seem to stand out more than positives, not really sure where you are coming from on that, I generally don't feel the need to give out negatives unless the post is needlessly offensive or is clearly talking rubbish like a blunt on the wind up. 

It was a rhetorical question. I don't give a damn why negs get your back up. And obviously the way people use the rating system will vary from poster to poster anyway.

In this case, you saw that I negged the post, you also saw a post by me giving a hint as to why I did. There's really no reason to think the neg was for anything other than the point alluded to in the post of mine you originally quoted. Are you really wanting to spend your time chasing up whether each neg handed out meets your own (subjective) criteria of fairness?

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

It was a rhetorical question. I don't give a damn why negs get your back up. And obviously the way people use the rating system will vary from poster to poster anyway.

In this case, you saw that I negged the post, you also saw a post by me giving a hint as to why I did. There's really no reason to think the neg was for anything other than the point alluded to in the post of mine you originally quoted. Are you really wanting to spend your time chasing up whether each neg handed out meets your own (subjective) criteria of fairness?

No, I just found it a bit strange that the 1 neg in this debate was nothing to do with the content of the thread or the discussion of the football matter, which you are yet to contribute to. If I was acting as some sort of arbiter regarding negs on this forum then I think I would have very little time to do anything else.

I'll try and return this thread to football matters, fee free to contribute.

Ash Baker is not considered for selection as to date in his first team and academy performances he has done little to suggest he is up to Championship standard.

Jordan Thorniley is behind Iorfa, Borner and Lees in the pecking order for two centre-back places, rightly so based on their overall form this season.

Matt Penney is not registered to play for SWFC at this time.

We have one of the best defensive records in the division, not sure there was a need to start a thread calling for the above named players to be included. 

11 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No, I just found it a bit strange that the 1 neg in this debate was nothing to do with the content of the thread or the discussion of the football matter, which you are yet to contribute to. If I was acting as some sort of arbiter regarding negs on this forum then I think I would have very little time to do anything else.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're noting how many negs are in each debate? Seriously, get a grip.

• Haha 1

This is one we’ll regret.

But he’s at an age where he needs to be playing week in week out. And we can’t guarantee that this season or probably next season. 

He’ll be Blackpool’s captain soon enough and they’ll sell him for £££. Hopefully we have had the foresight to have a decent sell on clause attached to this deal

Edited by FlyingOwl

Guest Grez Bez

I'm disappointed but it's a good move for him

He's a very good limited defender. Easily up to playing Championship football

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

...and now it starts.

The SWFC Fans inability to let go of mediocrity.

Honestly, we’d get promoted to the PL and people would go all misty eyed because they’d feel sad about not getting to play Millwall twice a season

It's not like this one if a 33 year old journeyman.

Thorniley is a young player (still 23) and has the potential to improve. 

Who'd have said 3 years ago when United signed Jack O Connoll from a championship side in L1 he'd end up good enough for the Prem.

This is one I think we'll end up regretting come 2025.

We need to sell players, but not youngsters with first team potential. It is also not likely his fee will be big enough right now to affect FFP massively anyway.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867
  • Like 1