Jordan Thorniley

Just unfortunate for Jordan, our managerial changes including temporary ones  meant he  suffered most. Quite often when a new manager comes in he reverts to tried and trusted or known names or goes with the old guard. He had a good season last year and for me is better than Tom Lees in a physical battle and slightly better with the ball at his feet. The game last season when assombalonga was knocking tom all over the place highlighted that, he moved onto Thorniley who went through him twice at which point he (assombalonga) sat on the floor pleading with the ref to help him. Totally put him off his game. 

The next piece of bad luck for him is the buys of Iorfa and Borner  a combination of pace and power that should be hard to dislodge. Iorfa may have dropped his standards but he is blessed with pace something we have been lacking at the back. I have not seen enough of Bates to form an opinion but I think JT  should be in front of Lees but unfortunately behind Iorfa, Borner and Hutchinson for a centre back role.

Regarding Penney wasn't it the case he had a decent game at fullback but then got moved to midfield.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, outlaw pete said:

After another awful performance by our back four why are Thorniley, Ash Baker and Matt Penny all excluded by Monk from the first team Squad?

Having gone to the game yesterday. Both goals came at an early stage of the game. so.

1) where were the midfield when both gaols were scored?.

2) Why were the midfield so slow to react during the build up?.

Maybe the answer is in the players who were in midfield?. We have an ageing squad of players, why the Feck was Hutchinson playing, he is the past, too slow and injury prone. If Lousongo was not fit enough to play, why play chocholate knees?.

He is not up to the game in that position.

Hopefully in January we will bring in players who are prepared to get hurt, and physically, hurt the opposition players and walk away.

I am sick and fed up with us being the NICE guys in football, why don't we learn dark arts of football?, why don't we gather round the Referee for every desicision ?, why are we so NICE?.

11 hours ago, Mr. Chow said:

I know where you’re coming from but we’ve playing okay the back and slipped up the last couple of games boner has to replace lees and when Westwood is back shove him back in because for me we seem a more solid unit, without Palmer though baker could get his chance or Moses could come back in. 

Westwood - 15 matches, 16 goals conceded, 6 defeats.

Dawson - 11 matches, 9 goals conceded, 2 defeats.

Dawson is first choice keeper now for me.

23 hours ago, cowl said:

Yep, definitely the right decision to pick someone up on spelling the surname of a player as though it were spelt the same way as a far more common and same-sounding noun.

So you chose to give him a negative for this, completely ignoring the fact that his post detailed the very good reasons why the 2 mentioned players are nowhere near our starting 11.

If someone is to start a thread questioning why a player is not playing for us then you would have expected them to know how to spell said players name and also have looked into it a bit first given that the reason he isn't in our squad is because he is on loan to a team in another country.

We also have Bates as CB back up. He's on loan and has had very few opportunities though I believe he has been injured. I wonder if he'll return to his parent club.

I haven't seen him play but I assume he's not great or he would have featured more when he has been fit. It was clearly assumed he would be more involved or else why loan him?

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you chose to give him a negative for this, completely ignoring the fact that his post detailed the very good reasons why the 2 mentioned players are nowhere near our starting 11.

If someone is to start a thread questioning why a player is not playing for us then you would have expected them to know how to spell said players name and also have looked into it a bit first given that the reason he isn't in our squad is because he is on loan to a team in another country.

Seriously? ‘Penny’ instead of ‘Penney’? Someone assumes the spelling of a player's surname is its most common variant and you honestly think that is a valid point worth making?

It's a football forum.

5 minutes ago, cowl said:

Seriously? ‘Penny’ instead of ‘Penney’? Someone assumes the spelling of a player's surname is its most common variant and you honestly think that is a valid point worth making?

It's a football forum.

It is indeed and you continue to make a point of this while most people, including the poster you have negged for this, make good points about the actual football reasons these players are not being picked. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

It is indeed and you continue to make a point of this while most people, including the poster you have negged for this, make good points about the actual football reasons these players are not being picked. 

I made the point yesterday during the infancy of the thread. You're the one bringing it up today. I negged him for his point about the spelling of ‘Penney’, and not for anything else he wrote. Is there anything more you'd like to make of this or are we done here?

Thorniley is a decent centre back, but in the long run I would think league 1 or 2 will be his level.

Penney is a very decent prospect and with the right handling will be a useful squad member.

As for Baker, unless he shows rapid improvement I don't think he will make the grade...………..I actually think we have a better right back in Dawodu in the youth squad.

5 minutes ago, cowl said:

I made the point yesterday during the infancy of the thread. You're the one bringing it up today. I negged him for his point about the spelling of ‘Penney’, and not for anything else he wrote. Is there anything more you'd like to make of this or are we done here?

You keep making your point mate.

Have you made any point regarding the actual subject, as you say, this is a football forum?

Just now, cowl said:

You're the one who brought it up today. Why is that?

Because it is the first time I have seen this thread and thought your reasoning for giving someone a neg was a little harsh, given that the person you criticised had also given sound reasons for the players not being in the side.

Have you passed any comment about the actual football debate in this thread yet, this is a football forum as you so rightly pointed out.