Adam Reach

He’s really having a tough season isn’t he?

I think it’s only the one goal so far. Didn’t he hit double figures last season and the year before?

I’m a big fan of Reach but he’s not been at the same level this season. Might be something deeper than just playing poorly with him. His work rate hasn’t changed, but nothing is really coming off for him. Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, I think he’s been criminally messed about ever since his first year with us under Carlos. We’ve never really let him play in his natural position which is left mid. 

A player who would probably have fetched 5 plus million in the summer, but on current form can’t see many coming in for him. Perhaps another lesson that we should at least try and sell a player when the time is right?

By the way I don’t mean to bash the lad, I like him and think he has genuine quality and works hard for the team. It’s just not happened for him so far this season for one reason or another. 

I missed yesterday due to a family meal I had to attend but I actually think Reach's game has started to pick up in recent weeks after what was a slow start to the season.

All players have dips in form but I wouldn't bet against him having a decent second half to the season and chipping in with a few goals.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

I missed yesterday due to a family meal I had to attend but I actually think Reach's game has started to pick up in recent weeks after what was a slow start to the season.

All players have dips in form but I wouldn't bet against him having a decent second half to the season and chipping in with a few goals.

I thought he picked up against Forest and Bristol to be fair. But yesterday I thought he didn’t offer enough for a player of his quality. At times this season he just looks like he’s lost confidence when it comes to taking on his man or driving forward. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I thought he picked up against Forest and Bristol to be fair. But yesterday I thought he didn’t offer enough for a player of his quality. At times this season he just looks like he’s lost confidence when it comes to taking on his man or driving forward. 

I agree, he does seem to have lost confidence this season.

There was an occasion yesterday in the second half where he received the ball in our half. There wasn't a Cardiff player within 12-15 yards of him, yet his immediate reaction was to turn back towards our goal rather than be positive and look to go forward.

To me that smacks of a player low on confidence.

1 hour ago, Chilli said:

I agree, he does seem to have lost confidence this season.

There was an occasion yesterday in the second half where he received the ball in our half. There wasn't a Cardiff player within 12-15 yards of him, yet his immediate reaction was to turn back towards our goal rather than be positive and look to go forward.

To me that smacks of a player low on confidence.

I don't get why Dawson looks for him with kicks. Headings not his strong point so why keep launching it to him for him to try and flick on. Get the ball to him on the floor and let him whip some crosses in. 

Couldn’t trap a bag of cement at the moment, first touch awful.

Can’t play him in the middle.

I realise Lee is not the player he was but he would have been better than Reach in that position yesterday. At least he has the brain to play it.

In 442 we are very dependent on the wide players to provide some quality, not happening at the moment.

The only reason I see for playing him wide right is the chance of scoring when cutting inside. This worked so well last season that it was highlighted on tv over and over to the point every manager, coach and defender in the Championship knows what’s coming and has a plan to stop it.

Yesterday he played....well I don’t where. Most of the time he was ahead of Winnall who is supposed to be a centre forward and that is clearly not Reach’s game. Surely the only way to get him back to some form is to play him wide left. Harris being right footed is surely more effective on the right. At least we might get decent crosses into the box if the wingers use their stronger foot to do it. 

I know we all think we’re managers and know our squad the best, but it’s surely very basic logic to play your players in the  positions they’ve played for most of their careers. 

By the way, same goes for defence, Iorfa right back (at least in Palmers absence) Lees right cb and Borner left cb.

2 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

For once I would like to see him on the left and Harris on the right whipping in balls first time instead of cutting back on to their favoured foot

Lets give that a try ffs

I’d like to see them at least swapping sides occasionally, give the opposites something to think about