Ask the referee

Something has just turned up again from an interview with Monk that makes my blood boil. 

"it was a red card, you'd have to ask the ref why he didn't give it" 

Thing is though, no one ever asks them do they?  Would Dom Howson ask? Who has access to them? They seem to get away with stuff like this without question. 

Just now, swinners said:

Something has just turned up again from an interview with Monk that makes my blood boil. 

Thing is though, no one ever asks them do they?  Would Dom Howson ask? Who has access to them? They seem to get away with stuff like this without question. 

Howson - Why wasn’t it a red card?

Ref- I didn’t think it was. 

That’s all you’d get - what’s the point 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, swinners said:

We were talking about this to break the stunned silence on the way home.

In American football, refs actually get sacked for making continuous bad decisions, because the clubs (franchises whatever you want to call them) will not tolerate bad decision making. 

Over here they are cosseted & protected & not questioned in any shape or form.

They should be made to watch any contentious decisions & explain WHY they made that decision. Their track record could be monitored on a weekly basis which would expose the pathetically poor ones over a longer period. 

Obviously the problem is the lack of numbers & therefore new ones coming through. The FA or whoever is responsible for them should start a program of recruiting young graduates where the rewards are large enough to make the proposition attractive. Because of the large financial rewards on offer, they could then make them much more accountable & open to proper scrutiny.

Tim Robinson has now made TWO of the worst decisions I have seen in years & years of watching football. That alone should be enough for him to have to answer to his critics & explain his decision making. I would also be tempted to ask him IF it is a coincidence that these horrendous decisions were both against SWFC?? 

In the good old days we used to do things differently.

Don't want to go over the top here, but,

shouldn't burning at the stake be brought back if they ref badly.

I hear people shouting it could just be human error, let him off,

well my answer to that is we could use VAR, so it would be alright.

2 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Always said this, they make players come out in an interview straight after a game.

Why not do the same to refs?

Absolutely. Said this for ages. Refs never have to explain anything. They just scuttle off and hide. Game isnt transparent. 

Just now, northeastowl said:

The referees aren’t allowed to talk are they?

There was a game in Australia that used VAR that was miced up to the crowd so they could here exactly why he was making his decisions.

Agree totally. All linesmen and refs should be microphoned if using VAR, that way every decision can be heard.

12 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

The referees aren’t allowed to talk are they?

There was a game in Australia that used VAR that was miced up to the crowd so they could here exactly why he was making his decisions.

This, make the ref wear an audible mic, like they do in egg chasing.

To me this ref sums up the whole problem with our refereeing standards and structure.

It looks like Robinson is on his way to the premier league. Although I believe he did a Newcastle game recently and got slammed by Bruce.

He is a process man. Gets all the little processes right , stops the game for slightest head knock, makes a big issue of these things so he is the centre of attention and it looks good to the assessor.

However his decision making is awful and so inconsistent. But this doesn’t seem to matter to the powers that be.

I am sure he went to talk to the 4th official so he can now blame him for the decision should it come under any scrutiny in the refereeing assessments, which it won’t of course.

11 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

To me this ref sums up the whole problem with our refereeing standards and structure.

It looks like Robinson is on his way to the premier league. Although I believe he did a Newcastle game recently and got slammed by Bruce.

He is a process man. Gets all the little processes right , stops the game for slightest head knock, makes a big issue of these things so he is the centre of attention and it looks good to the assessor.

However his decision making is awful and so inconsistent. But this doesn’t seem to matter to the powers that be.

I am sure he went to talk to the 4th official so he can now blame him for the decision should it come under any scrutiny in the refereeing assessments, which it won’t of course.

But why did he do that? Can’t ever remember seeing that happen before. 

I thought it was a straight red, and seeing it back it seems obvious that it was. I've no idea what was said by the fourth official but he was even closer to the incident than Robinson.

Still, as much as I felt he should've been sent off, I wasn't entirely disappointed he wasn't. The game was frustrating enough as it was, and we were struggling to break Cardiff down, if they'd have gone down to 10 I don't doubt they'd have gone even more defensively. Could we have made the extra man count? I've seen us fail to do this far too many times down the years to feel a sending off for our opponents as an unmitigated positive; it's worked against us too often.

6 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

A lot of people are slagging VAR off

VAR in it's current state isn't perfect, but at least it would have seen this as a red card 

And shown up another bad referee

Agreed. Seems the done thing to be down on VAR at the moment, but for me, it's biggest problem is how long they're taking over decisions still.

How specific they want to be with judging about what counts as an offside is something they can tweak, and something I fully expect them to do.

I think ref's should be made to wear an explosive vest with a selected panel of supporters having a remote control app on their phones. 

If the selected panel of fans all press the remote simultaneously, (thus expressing a unanimous verdict of disgust) the explosive vest goes up along with useless ref. 

Getting splattered with various pieces of Tim Robinson's assorted body parts would be a small price to pay for justice being done.

Wife on husband arriving home post match covered in blood & guts.  "Have you been fighting again"?   "Nah, the ref was sh**te again", 

Wife "Oh right".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2