Gary Monk - Uninspiring

Guest Kameron
2 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I actually think it’s more than 9 players that are out of contract in the summer.

If you include the likes of Baker, Bates, Thorniley, Murphy etc it’s at least 13.

That’s almost half of our current first team squad.

So it’s a mass clear out then.

4 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

it would actually been BRAVE of you to post your dislike of him as a manager whilst we were winning, as now it just looks like opportunistic backstabbing.

WOW! fan in wednesday won't go up shocker!

hahahahah! don't go into the bookies with that one, they 'may not' take it on.

we ALREADY have had success with monk, we were in third place last week, with a poor squad assembled by three differing (i'll be king and include the first two in the next word) managers, though what the 2 of them actually managed is debateable.

he has done with a quality threadbare squad a great job, there will be bad results (as this isn't a computer game where you win everything you try), west brom had a worse one that us yesterday.

your preferred type of football had us hurtling towards the third division the last time it was 'dragged out'.

Very true. 

Amazing how these sort of threads only appear after a couple of dodgy results. 

Surely, if you were so against Monk, you'd be voicing your displeasure on a consistent basis? 

10 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

We have lost the last two games, but are still in sixth position.

I honestly believe that we are all looking at the wrong area.Our forward line, while not playing at its best, IS scoring goals.

The problem is our defence, and until it is sorted, will continue to be.. Its no good us scoring twice if the opposition scores three.

Tighten what used to be a strong defence. Hell, we can't even defend a goal lead in injury time!

I think one of the problems with the defence in latter stages of games is the lack of a decent attacking outlet for them to find.

when he took over and looked at the squad he must have though he was on an episode of 'dad's army'.

had fletcher not had his best season for some time we'd have been at the dingle end of the table.

6 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Okay point taken, but I don't come on here often. In fact these are my first posts in about 3 months. 

For your record, i've been vocal about Monk in 'real life'.

He's certainly not doing a 'very good job'. 

305268217_ScreenShot2019-12-30at10_35_24.png.68df63abe1ccd7a8c4d7009d3d9fd6e2.png

When you look at this, do you honestly see a squad that should be challenging for automatic promotion?

Because if not, then surely having us competing for a playoff spot is doing a good job?

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Very true. 

Amazing how these sort of threads only appear after a couple of dodgy results. 

Surely, if you were so against Monk, you'd be voicing your displeasure on a consistent basis? 

He last posted this displeasure 1 month ago after we wobbled a bit at West Brom and Birmingham. Must have been too busy enjoying the run up to third place.

Expectations need to be severely adjusted by some of us I fear, our players have been getting a good return of points when everyone is fit and well, but I reckon we have an "illness", problem that is affecting more players than just Fletcher. Looking at how some players have been looking out of it for a few games, I reckon there has been a virus in the camp. We had one at work that went through everyone over a two month period, with some off work and others just out of it for two or three weeks. I really do not believe that Gary Monk picked the side that started yesterday purely based on our best 11, I reckon he picked the 11 players least affected by injuries or "illness" and we just were not good enough.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Monk is doing a good job. 

Although yesterday’s line-up and substitutions were poor. 

I think he’s realised Luongo and Bannan is our strongest midfield partnership. Hopefully after 5 goals conceded in two games, he’ll bring Borner back in.

Agree on the CM duo. 

Same old problems reared their ugly head with Hutchinson and Bannan in CM. 

Hutch drops really far back and then Bannan ends up dropping to deep too. 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Mr Hooper said:

I'm bias, but my opinion isn't formed because of what happened at Stoke. 

Judge him from his tactics, substitutions and that atmosphere he's created. Shocking. 

I'm not a big fan of his substitutions as we tend to take off our attacking players when we have a narrow lead, and that contributes to the hanging on at the end that we do a lot. But the options we have available just aren't great and that's why we're inconsistent. Don't think the tactics are that bad. As for the atmosphere, it's one of lethargy... and it's because we feel like we've been doing this for 5 years and it's just round and round in circles with the team getting marginally worse and us hoping to strike lucky come May. On top of that, we have the EFL hanging over us and we look across the city and it puts the pressure on to achieve things more quickly which adds to the anxiety.

Yes, Borner and Lees for me are a strong, solid combo when they are both fully fit. As much as I appreciate Iorfa's determination and the effort he puts in to make up for his poor positioning, his inability to tackle without using his hands and constantly heading the ball to the opposition are presenting the opposition with way too many goalscoring chances (many of which have been taken recently). 

I wondered yesterday if his pace and strength could be used more effectively in midfield? Maybe worth a pop, otherwise I would put him back into the right back slot, if Palmer is going to miss a few. 

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Agree on the CM duo. 

Same old problems reared their ugly head with Hutchinson and Bannan in CM. 

Hutch drops really far back and then Bannan ends up dropping to deep too. 

Hutchinson is a defender. No doubt in my mind his best position is centre half. He was immense at home to Leeds this season at the back.

He’s a fantastic player who brings qualities to the midfield, but we suffer going forward when he sits in a two. Been painfully obvious since the Huddersfield second leg. 

1 hour ago, Mr Hooper said:

Play Rhodes and Winnall up top for a start. 

This eventually happened and all you had was the pair of them standing on their man's shoulder, waiting for the ball to come to feet but stood still and letting their man intercept it every time. There were no runs, no pulling of the defence in unwanted directions; things, incidentally, that Fletcher does in spades and thus why he is a far superior forward unmatched in our squad. 

This is why we started to see 'long ball', because with R & W stood patiently in a sea of ready defenders it was the only way to get the ball forward. 

I think the reason Monk makes similar 'mistakes' as previous managers is because he's got the measure of the players and these are the limitations. Limitations that, in the case of Rhodes in particular, are clear for all to see. 

11 minutes ago, cbirks said:

This eventually happened and all you had was the pair of them standing on their man's shoulder, waiting for the ball to come to feet but stood still and letting their man intercept it every time. There were no runs, no pulling of the defence in unwanted directions; things, incidentally, that Fletcher does in spades and thus why he is a far superior forward unmatched in our squad. 

This is why we started to see 'long ball', because with R & W stood patiently in a sea of ready defenders it was the only way to get the ball forward. 

I think the reason Monk makes similar 'mistakes' as previous managers is because he's got the measure of the players and these are the limitations. Limitations that, in the case of Rhodes in particular, are clear for all to see. 

I thought Winnall played well yesterday. Considering he was up top on his own against giants of centre halfs. He won his fair share of flick ons and found little pockets of space. I would like to see him and Fletcher up top. 

Guest Ferkorf
41 minutes ago, Sonny said:

He last posted this displeasure 1 month ago after we wobbled a bit at West Brom and Birmingham. Must have been too busy enjoying the run up to third place.

Some people just thrive on negativity and trying to spread it.

Obviously taken the two defeats to the heart and it never happens to him on Fifa so the KID is throwing his pad at the tv screen

16 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I thought Winnall played well yesterday. Considering he was up top on his own against giants of centre halfs. He won his fair share of flick ons and found little pockets of space. I would like to see him and Fletcher up top. 

To be fair to him, I thought the same in the first half - very mobile - but thought he turned out for the second half out of ideas/energy and very stationary. 

Edited by cbirks

59 minutes ago, Kameron said:

9 are up so it’s going to be a decent start. We appear not to do strategic replacements under Chansiri.

Harris, Borner, Iorfa.

Not totally cr*p!

Also, the track record of teams promoted to the prem who have had "clearouts" is not good.  Fulham (last year), Villa this. When the team that stuck with the backbone of their squad & strengthened strategically (whose name I cannot bring myself to name) seem to be doing rather well!

'Too much too soon' seems to be a recipe for disaster.