Gary Monk - Uninspiring

Guest Kameron
Just now, bigthinrob said:

Some reasonable points, but please stop with the “complete clear out” nonsense,

You know, I know, it’s just not possible or realistic.

You add & build strategically, end of.

That’s why it needs to be done at the end of the season when lots of contracts expire. 

Just now, Mr Hooper said:

No because Pep is a great manager. Plays good football and has won back to back titles.

You sort of ignored my points in your response. Nice attempt at comedy though. 

I didn't read all your points, I read to just beyond where you stated you 'didn't want him in the first place, and that was enough for me to think 'you'd had to wait for the 2 defeats opportunity'.

he had this 'inherited' shower of **** up into third place last week, why didn't you post it then?

he has both a squad, and a team way past it's sell by date, it was (in the main) built by 'the charlatan' for the one thrice failed practice of 'tiptap' (I imagine from your criticism you would mind seeing that drudgery brought back).

he has done a very good job with the 'patchwork quilt' of a squad he inherited, the nigh on same squad (with a few bruce signings) the same squad 'the charlatan' had racing towards relegation by the end of his tenure.

monk has just one decent striker, fletcher, we all knew when he went missing, had a shocker, or got bested for a game we'd struggle.

this isn't any shortcoming with monk, he's likely trying to get this cobbled together squad past 2 games a week with the best results he can, until he can address it's weaknesses (one of which it now appears is a 'surefire' keeper, whose not so 'surefire' anymore).

it's not comedy, undoubtedly there'll be someone, somewhere at citeh doing what you're doing here.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Monk has not brought 1 player of his own in or any if his own backroom staff and with problems off the pitch as well I say 6th place is more then acceptable currently.

Completely agree. We could have had more points if we had managed to see a number of games out. The football isn’t great but Monk has got us more physical and competitive.

I expect he will try and bring in 2 or 3 players in January and move on a similar amount.

3 minutes ago, Kameron said:

That’s why it needs to be done at the end of the season when lots of contracts expire. 

Not renewing some contracts when they come to an end isn’t the same as a “Complete clear out”. 

Not renewing SOME contracts & bringing in strategic replacements would be a natural progression.

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

I didn't read all your points, I read to just beyond where you stated you 'didn't want him in the first place, and that was enough for me to think 'you'd had to wait for the 2 defeats opportunity'.

he had this 'inherited' shower of **** up into third place last week, why didn't you post it then?

he has both a squad, and a team way past it's sell by date, it was (in the main) built by 'the charlatan' for the one thrice failed practice of 'tiptap' (I imagine from your criticism you would mind seeing that drudgery brought back).

he has done a very good job with the 'patchwork quilt' of a squad he inherited, the nigh on same squad (with a few bruce signings) the same squad 'the charlatan' had racing towards relegation by the end of his tenure.

monk has just one decent striker, fletcher, we all knew when he went missing, had a shocker, or got bested for a game we'd struggle.

this isn't any shortcoming with monk, he's likely trying to get this cobbled together squad past 2 games a week with the best results he can, until he can address it's weaknesses (one of which it now appears is a 'surefire' keeper, whose not so 'surefire' anymore).

it's not comedy, undoubtedly there'll be someone, somewhere at citeh doing what you're doing here.

I've always been vocal in not wanting Monk. But i'd be silly to post on here my dislike towards him while everyone is happy.

I've been open in saying im bias, he's not my sort of manager. But I know enough about football to tell you right now, we won't succeed under Monk.

Guest Kameron
1 minute ago, bigthinrob said:

Not renewing some contracts when they come to an end isn’t the same as a “Complete clear out”. 

Not renewing SOME contracts & bringing in strategic replacements would be a natural progression.

9 are up so it’s going to be a decent start. We appear not to do strategic replacements under Chansiri.

We have lost the last two games, but are still in sixth position.

I honestly believe that we are all looking at the wrong area.Our forward line, while not playing at its best, IS scoring goals.

The problem is our defence, and until it is sorted, will continue to be.. Its no good us scoring twice if the opposition scores three.

Tighten what used to be a strong defence. Hell, we can't even defend a goal lead in injury time!

Do you really think we'd be doing better under a different manager/head coach?

The squad is ok, but it is ageing and has shortcomings.

Monk isn't some managerial genius, but he is doing a good job given the circumstances. 

Think it is very harsh to judge him negatively given a) our league position; b) he has none of his own players; and c) one of his own coaches. 

Guest Kameron
1 minute ago, Buxtongent said:

We have lost the last two games, but are still in sixth position.

I honestly believe that we are all looking at the wrong area.Our forward line, while not playing at its best, IS scoring goals.

The problem is our defence, and until it is sorted, will continue to be.. Its no good us scoring twice if the opposition scores three.

Tighten what used to be a strong defence. Hell, we can't even defend a goal lead in injury time!

We start shipping goals every time Dawson has prolonged spells in the team.  It’s no coincidence.

2 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I've always been vocal in not wanting Monk. But i'd be silly to post on here my dislike towards him while everyone is happy.

No, that would have been principled and might have engendered a more reasoned debate.

As it is, you've waited for our first sticky patch for some time and decided to stick the boot in.

I find it hard to believe that any Wednesday fan wouldn't have been happy with 6th in the table if offered it at the start of the season. We've lost the last two games, but we're well-positioned to challenge for the top six.

Given the imbalanced squad he inherited, I'd say he's doing a very good job.

1 hour ago, Mr Hooper said:

I didn't want the bloke when we appointed him, always found him dull and just a boring bog standard average manager.

I try not to be bias when judging the job he's doing at us, but bloody hell he's sucking the life out of the place.

His tactics are borderline Jos territory. 

How can you possibly, come up against the most physical team in the Championship, who have the best header of the ball in the league (Flint) and decide it'd be a good idea to play Sam Winnall up top by himself and have a game plan of 'lump it to his head'. How would that ever work?

Then to make things worse, you're making a substitution, you need an injection of pace and you're trying to change the game, you decide to take off IORFA! The only player showing any drive, pace and desire to win. It's baffling. 

And here's some harsh truth to the Fox fan boys, but he isn't good enough for a team 'chasing promotion'. Harris plays better with Palmer behind him, he'd probably play even better with Reach behind him.

His handling of Jordan Rhodes is shocking, the guy scored a hatrick a few games ago, leave him in the bloody team for 10 games, let him have a proper run. Don't leave him out again because he's not scored in 2/3 games and replace him with Reach (was he supposed to be upfront/behind the striker?), Jesus Christ. Confidence shattering. 

It's too early to pull the trigger, but we shouldn't have employed this guy in the first place. This will be his last Championship job. 

He's doing the worst you could possibly do with the players available. This years Championship is poor, and we could be doing alot better if we picked the right team with the right tactics.

Clueless 

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No, that would have been principled and might have engendered a more reasoned debate.

As it is, you've waited for our first sticky patch for some time and decided to stick the boot in.

I find it hard to believe that any Wednesday fan wouldn't have been happy with 6th in the table if offered it at the start of the season. We've lost the last two games, but we're well-positioned to challenge for the top six.

Given the imbalanced squad he inherited, I'd say he's doing a very good job.

Okay point taken, but I don't come on here often. In fact these are my first posts in about 3 months. 

For your record, i've been vocal about Monk in 'real life'.

He's certainly not doing a 'very good job'. 

Just now, Mr Hooper said:

I've been open in saying im bias, he's not my sort of manager. But I know enough about football to tell you right now, we won't succeed under Monk.

it would actually been BRAVE of you to post your dislike of him as a manager whilst we were winning, as now it just looks like opportunistic backstabbing.

WOW! fan in wednesday won't go up shocker!

hahahahah! don't go into the bookies with that one, they 'may not' take it on.

we ALREADY have had success with monk, we were in third place last week, with a poor squad assembled by three differing (i'll be king and include the first two in the next word) managers, though what the 2 of them actually managed is debateable.

he has done with a quality threadbare squad a great job, there will be bad results (as this isn't a computer game where you win everything you try), west brom had a worse one that us yesterday.

your preferred type of football had us hurtling towards the third division the last time it was 'dragged out'.

23 minutes ago, Kameron said:

9 are up so it’s going to be a decent start. We appear not to do strategic replacements under Chansiri.

I actually think it’s more than 9 players that are out of contract in the summer.

If you include the likes of Baker, Bates, Thorniley, Murphy etc it’s at least 13.

That’s almost half of our current first team squad.

Edited by Westfield Owl