Gary Monk - Uninspiring

14 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

It's fine if you disagree. 

Question for you then, would you have started that team yesterday? One up top? Long ball against Cardiff?

Would you have taken Iorfa off? Would you have started Borner on the bench?

Would you have started Murphy again?!

I agree yesterday Monk got many things wrong.

The line-up was bizarre. Reach is never a CM and Winnall lone-striker is a shocker. Iorfa going off and the ineffective Murphy staying on was wrong. 

I think harsh things were said after Stoke. I can’t think of any other reason for the odd decisions yesterday.

But I’m happy overall with Monk so far and optimistic he will get us a play-off.

3 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

You have some valid points but then what do you want Monk to do about it? 

If Luongo is injured who do you play in midfield without it being Hutch and Bannan?

Murphy is a waste of a shirt I agree but if Reach and Harris aren’t performing who else can you play?

Cant agree about Lee having legs anymore, every time he’s played this season he looks knackered and doesn’t make the same runs he used to.

Lee hasn't played enough to look knackered, but I get your point if that is the case. What about Grant or someone, least they will have a bit of energy about them.

A half performing Harris or Reach, played in their proper positions is still a whole lot better than Murphy. Hell if Adam Reach does nothing for 89 minutes, then puts in a cross that he is actually secent at, or, scores one of his legendary goals, then its far better than anything Murphy will do if he played till 2022. lol

Guest Kameron

Not sure it’s all Monks fault but the atmosphere around the ground is the worst it’s been in many years.  

I think he’s another manager who is selecting teams based on statistics from training sessions, it’s complete b O locks even more so for us with an ageing squad.  If players can’t train because of tiredness or niggling injuries so what you nurse them through the week and if that means little or no training so be it, admittedly its more difficult when games come thick and fast.  We need to bin the GPS vests and get back to basics with a complete clear out and I’d include Monk in that at the end of season.

5 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Borner, Luongo, Fletcher

For me, this is the spine of the team - without one of them we struggle, without all of them we're really weak.

It's not just them, but how it affects the others around them.

Luongo allows Bannan to play well. He's a great signing.

Borner gets the best out of the other central defender. He's the talker, the winner.

Fletcher allows others to flourish - and of course scores goals.

Agree with this.

One thing I will blame Monk for is not picking Borner. I can’t get my head round that.

34 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I didn't want the bloke when we appointed him, always found him dull and just a boring bog standard average manager.

I try not to be bias when judging the job he's doing at us, but bloody hell he's sucking the life out of the place.

His tactics are borderline Jos territory. 

How can you possibly, come up against the most physical team in the Championship, who have the best header of the ball in the league (Flint) and decide it'd be a good idea to play Sam Winnall up top by himself and have a game plan of 'lump it to his head'. How would that ever work?

Then to make things worse, you're making a substitution, you need an injection of pace and you're trying to change the game, you decide to take off IORFA! The only player showing any drive, pace and desire to win. It's baffling. 

And here's some harsh truth to the Fox fan boys, but he isn't good enough for a team 'chasing promotion'. Harris plays better with Palmer behind him, he'd probably play even better with Reach behind him.

His handling of Jordan Rhodes is shocking, the guy scored a hatrick a few games ago, leave him in the bloody team for 10 games, let him have a proper run. Don't leave him out again because he's not scored in 2/3 games and replace him with Reach (was he supposed to be upfront/behind the striker?), Jesus Christ. Confidence shattering. 

It's too early to pull the trigger, but we shouldn't have employed this guy in the first place. This will be his last Championship job. 

He's doing the worst you could possibly do with the players available. This years Championship is poor, and we could be doing alot better if we picked the right team with the right tactics.

'it's too early to pull the trigger' hahahahah!

Guest Bulgaria

Monk is doing ok, but he doesn't seem to have any rapport with the crowd at all.

He is methodical and rather dull and his seemingly personality reflects our style of play, but it might just get us into the playoffs.

Guest Ferkorf
13 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Play Rhodes and Winnall up top for a start. 

Please close the thread and call Frank for this guy who is clearly high as a kite

Just now, Bulgaria said:

Monk is doing ok, but he doesn't seem to have any rapport with the crowd at all.

He is methodical and rather dull and his seemingly personality reflects our style of play, but it might just get us into the playoffs.

I think that's part of the reason I can't get on with him. It is just a personal preference, but I like to have a connection with the manager, Bruce got this place so fired up and bouncing. 

Just now, Ferkorf said:

Please close the thread and call Frank for this guy who is clearly high as a kite

For wanting to start 2 strikers, rather than one striker against the worlds tallest centre backs. 

Starting Winnall by himself worked so well didn't it?

24 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I don't know if Boro are playing the right tactics, so I can't say.

I always worry when a team loses a game and 20,000 fans question the managers team selection and tactics.

The sign of a good manager ie Bruce, when we lost a game, you'd look at the team and tactics and think 'well i can't see anything we could have done differently'. 

they're on a winning run, of course they're playing the 'right tactics'.

only someone who had previously made his mind up, and was set in that opinion would disagree, and be sat waiting for something to go wrong so he could say it.

peps not having the best results, should citeh sack him?

Just now, dorian gray said:

they're on a winning run, of course they're playing the 'right tactics'.

only someone who had previously made his mind up, and was set in that opinion would disagree, and be sat waiting for something to go wrong so he could say it.

peps not having the best results, should citeh sack him?

No because Pep is a great manager. Plays good football and has won back to back titles.

You sort of ignored my points in your response. Nice attempt at comedy though. 

Guest Kameron
10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think harsh things were said after Stoke.

Very amateurish on Monks part giving them Christmas Day off when playing Boxing Day.  I can’t believe a professional football club would do such a thing.

Just now, Ferkorf said:

For wanting to start Winnall and Rhodes actually...

But...

Congratulations you are my 100th neg you big bed wetting dosser.

We've played 442 in recent weeks and it's worked. Fletcher isn't available and Nuhiu shouldn't start.

So, started Rhodes and Winnall as opposed to just Winnall by himself would be a good shout. 

I also haven't wet the bed in years. 

Ps: You're very aggressive, if you need any help just ask. Don't ever be afraid of seeking help. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I think that's part of the reason I can't get on with him. It is just a personal preference, but I like to have a connection with the manager, Bruce got this place so fired up and bouncing. 

Bruce also did a runner at the first flutter of the eyelashes from Mike Ashley. So, however good he may or may not have been the only possible time we'll see him at Hillsboro in the future is in the away dugout.

I think Monk deserves the chance to bring in a few of his own players before we judge him. At Swansea and Leeds he got the best out of a number 10 type like Pablo Hernandez - we simply don't have that kind of player in our current squad (bar one exception, who I'll come on to in a moment).

He's also be lumbered with disinterested and overpaid players like Forestieri who simply don't seem to want to play for any manager - not Jos, not Bruce and not Bullen either. I'm really not sure Rhodes is the answer either. Yes, he got a hat-trick at Forest - but in the other 11 games he's featured this season (starting, or off the bench), he's given us nothing. How many chances will we create if we're effectively playing with 10 men for the rest of the game?

Guest Ferkorf
3 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

We've played 442 in recent weeks and it's worked. Fletcher isn't available and Nuhiu shouldn't start.

So, started Rhodes and Winnall as opposed to just Winnall by himself would be a good shout. 

I also haven't wet the bed in years. 

Ps: You're very aggressive, if you need any help just ask. Don't ever be afraid of seeking help. 

Playing winnall and rhodes together is the worst idea I've ever heard. Rather have Borner and Iorfa up front than those two. 

Yes I'm very aggressive thats why I used the term bed wetter and dosser than any other super angry language grrrrrr 

Just now, Ferkorf said:

Playing winnall and rhodes together is the worst idea I've ever heard. Rather have Borner and Iorfa up front than those two. 

Yes I'm very aggressive thats why I used the term bed wetter and dosser than any other super angry language grrrrrr 

A worse idea than starting Winnall up front by himself against Cardiff's giant centre backs? 

Okay kid 

22 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Not sure it’s all Monks fault but the atmosphere around the ground is the worst it’s been in many years.  

I think he’s another manager who is selecting teams based on statistics from training sessions, it’s complete b O locks even more so for us with an ageing squad.  If players can’t train because of tiredness or niggling injuries so what you nurse them through the week and if that means little or no training so be it, admittedly its more difficult when games come thick and fast.  We need to bin the GPS vests and get back to basics with a complete clear out and I’d include Monk in that at the end of season.

Some reasonable points, but please stop with the “complete clear out” nonsense,

You know, I know, it’s just not possible or realistic.

You add & build strategically, end of.