Gary Monk - Uninspiring

I didn't want the bloke when we appointed him, always found him dull and just a boring bog standard average manager.

I try not to be bias when judging the job he's doing at us, but bloody hell he's sucking the life out of the place.

His tactics are borderline Jos territory. 

How can you possibly, come up against the most physical team in the Championship, who have the best header of the ball in the league (Flint) and decide it'd be a good idea to play Sam Winnall up top by himself and have a game plan of 'lump it to his head'. How would that ever work?

Then to make things worse, you're making a substitution, you need an injection of pace and you're trying to change the game, you decide to take off IORFA! The only player showing any drive, pace and desire to win. It's baffling. 

And here's some harsh truth to the Fox fan boys, but he isn't good enough for a team 'chasing promotion'. Harris plays better with Palmer behind him, he'd probably play even better with Reach behind him.

His handling of Jordan Rhodes is shocking, the guy scored a hatrick a few games ago, leave him in the bloody team for 10 games, let him have a proper run. Don't leave him out again because he's not scored in 2/3 games and replace him with Reach (was he supposed to be upfront/behind the striker?), Jesus Christ. Confidence shattering. 

It's too early to pull the trigger, but we shouldn't have employed this guy in the first place. This will be his last Championship job. 

He's doing the worst you could possibly do with the players available. This years Championship is poor, and we could be doing alot better if we picked the right team with the right tactics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Personally I think he’s been a great appointment. Monk didn’t make the players fall asleep for both of their early goals. If we had won the last 2 everyone would be back to singing his praise as they were when we beat Bristol City.

Give it a rest. The man is working with a team that is still 70% of the Carlos era.

We need to actually stick by a manager and let him build the team, if not we will always be stuck in a transition period. 

Our fans expect too much too soon.

Edited by ohgoditsjames
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I didn't want the bloke when we appointed him, always found him dull and just a boring bog standard average manager.

I try not to be bias when judging the job he's doing at us, but bloody hell he's sucking the life out of the place.

His tactics are borderline Jos territory. 

How can you possibly, come up against the most physical team in the Championship, who have the best header of the ball in the league (Flint) and decide it'd be a good idea to play Sam Winnall up top by himself and have a game plan of 'lump it to his head'. How would that ever work?

Then to make things worse, you're making a substitution, you need an injection of pace and you're trying to change the game, you decide to take off IORFA! The only player showing any drive, pace and desire to win. It's baffling. 

And here's some harsh truth to the Fox fan boys, but he isn't good enough for a team 'chasing promotion'. Harris plays better with Palmer behind him, he'd probably play even better with Reach behind him.

His handling of Jordan Rhodes is shocking, the guy scored a hatrick a few games ago, leave him in the bloody team for 10 games, let him have a proper run. Don't leave him out again because he's not scored in 2/3 games and replace him with Reach (was he supposed to be upfront/behind the striker?), Jesus Christ. Confidence shattering. 

It's too early to pull the trigger, but we shouldn't have employed this guy in the first place. This will be his last Championship job. 

He's doing the worst you could possibly do with the players available. This years Championship is poor, and we could be doing alot better if we picked the right team with the right tactics.

Jeez!

After 90 mins v Stoke we were only 5 points behind Leeds, how we played is pretty irrelevant as far as accumulating points is to get us out of this division..

A little perspective is needed, let's judge Monk when he is allowed a transfer window or two.

Have to say I disagree with a lot of that. Especially the part about doing the worst with this bunch of players. I don't see what we have as a squad that sets us up to be higher than top 6. 

I don't think Monk is the messiah but with what we have I actually think he's doing a reasonable job. The guy hasn't had a transfer window yet ffs. 

Whether people accept this or not, we are one of many sides that are scrapping for the play offs and are going to be close come the end of the season. It's not going to be pretty but every team around us is having a similar meltdown every few games. 

Just now, Pulsar said:

Jeez!

After 90 mins v Stoke we were only 5 points behind Leeds, how we played is pretty irrelevant as far as accumulating points is to get us out of this division..

A little perspective is needed, let's judge Monk when he is allowed a transfer window or two.

I'm bias, but my opinion isn't formed because of what happened at Stoke. 

Judge him from his tactics, substitutions and that atmosphere he's created. Shocking. 

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Have to say I disagree with a lot of that. Especially the part about doing the worst with this bunch of players. I don't see what we have as a squad that sets us up to be higher than top 6. 

I don't think Monk is the messiah but with what we have I actually think he's doing a reasonable job. The guy hasn't had a transfer window yet ffs. 

Whether people accept this or not, we are one of many sides that are scrapping for the play offs and are going to be close come the end of the season. It's not going to be pretty but every team around us is having a similar meltdown every few games. 

It's fine if you disagree. 

Question for you then, would you have started that team yesterday? One up top? Long ball against Cardiff?

Would you have taken Iorfa off? Would you have started Borner on the bench?

Would you have started Murphy again?!

1 minute ago, Mr Hooper said:

I'm bias, but my opinion isn't formed because of what happened at Stoke. 

Judge him from his tactics, substitutions and that atmosphere he's created. Shocking. 

But you're not giving him a chance.

Look at boro now, won their last 3, you'd have given him the boot long ago if you were a smoggy.

The season is a long one and will be full of twists and turns, yes, some even exciting.

Just ride it out.

1 minute ago, Pulsar said:

But you're not giving him a chance.

Look at boro now, won their last 3, you'd have given him the boot long ago if you were a smoggy.

The season is a long one and will be full of twists and turns, yes, some even exciting.

Just ride it out.

I don't know if Boro are playing the right tactics, so I can't say.

I always worry when a team loses a game and 20,000 fans question the managers team selection and tactics.

The sign of a good manager ie Bruce, when we lost a game, you'd look at the team and tactics and think 'well i can't see anything we could have done differently'. 

Our squad is average but capable most weeks. 

Our players aren't intelligent enough - it’s hard to change ridiculous decision making from players. 

Monk gets things wrong, but not as much as the players do - I’m not wanting to bash anyone - overall we’re doing about as well as we can. 

1 minute ago, Mr Hooper said:

Question for you then, would you have started that team yesterday? One up top? Long ball against Cardiff?

Good discussions to have. I'm not particularly a fan of the negativity he employs at times I have to admit. I feel we have little to nothing in terms of sustaining pressure on the opposition without Fletcher. I'd be keen to see if he's allowed to bring in some of his own players that could really chang this aspect of the game. 

The problem for me is we are quite jekyll and hyde when it comes to tactics. Against Brentford, Charlton, Derby and Forest we started on the front foot, created loads of chances and didn't sink into our shell (maybe in the 2nd half at Derby a little). We have it in us to play well but just not consistently enough and unfortunately only WBA and Leeds have proven they are contrary to that. 

Its frustrating as hell but we are part of the chasing pack and are 9 points better off than the past 2 seasons. If fans were offered 6th place and within 3 points of 3rd come January the 1st almost everyone would have taken it. 

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Good discussions to have. I'm not particularly a fan of the negativity he employs at times I have to admit. I feel we have little to nothing in terms of sustaining pressure on the opposition without Fletcher. I'd be keen to see if he's allowed to bring in some of his own players that could really chang this aspect of the game. 

The problem for me is we are quite jekyll and hyde when it comes to tactics. Against Brentford, Charlton, Derby and Forest we started on the front foot, created loads of chances and didn't sink into our shell (maybe in the 2nd half at Derby a little). We have it in us to play well but just not consistently enough and unfortunately only WBA and Leeds have proven they are contrary to that. 

Its frustrating as hell but we are part of the chasing pack and are 9 points better off than the past 2 seasons. If fans were offered 6th place and within 3 points of 3rd come January the 1st almost everyone would have taken it. 

Agree with that last paragraph. I would have taken it.

I think it's just hard watching from the stands, seeing that we could (in my opinion) be doing so much better if we picked different players and played 2 upfront every game. 

The things I'm confused about with Monk is that yeah he hasn't been able to bring in his own players etc, but he is still making the same mistakes as every other manager. For example, Bannan and Hutch in a 2 has never worked, because they both drop too deep. Reach has NEVER being a centre mid. Just because he can play centre mid, or left back or left wing back doesn't mean he should. Hell I can fly a drone, BUT would you let me fly a military drone, no....... Murphy is a waste of a shirt, yet still gets starts. Borner has been immense and now can't get a game. Nuhiu shouldn't start, but is wonderful to bring on with 10 minutes left to annoy the sh*t out of the centre backs. We are crying out for someone to make runs from midfield, but Lee is left forever on the bench. Alot of this, are things previous managers did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually think he’s working miracles having us where we in the league at Christmas. Our squad is bang average with over the hill players and others who can’t be arsed to graft.

Our midfield and forward options are pretty dreadful to say the least but he still has us challenging at the right end of the table. 

Don’t get me wrong all is not rosy with out performances but in general we are getting results. He won’t get it due to FFP but he needs to be allowed time to put his own stamp on the squad and get his own players in.

I just don’t understand negative opinions of Monk after the end of the Carlos reign and Jos’ shambolic efforts.

Just give him time.

10 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

The problem at present is, without Fletch we are left with a group of non scoring strikers. What is he supposed to do? 

1 minute ago, marcx666 said:

The things I'm confused about with Monk is that yeah he hasn't been able to bring in his own players etc, but he is still making the same mistakes as every other manager. For example, Bannan and Hutch in a 2 has never worked, because they both drop too deep. Reach has NEVER being a centre mid. Just because he can play centre mid, or left back or left wing back doesn't mean he should. Hell I can fly a drone, BUT would you let me fly a military drone, no....... Murphy is a waste of a shirt, yet still gets starts. Borner has been immense and now can't get a game. Nuhiu shouldn't start, but is wonderful to bring on with 10 minutes left to annoy the sh*t out of the centre backs. We are crying out for someone to make runs from midfield, but Lee is left forever on the bench. Alot of this, are things previous managers did.

You have some valid points but then what do you want Monk to do about it? 

If Luongo is injured who do you play in midfield without it being Hutch and Bannan?

Murphy is a waste of a shirt I agree but if Reach and Harris aren’t performing who else can you play?

Cant agree about Lee having legs anymore, every time he’s played this season he looks knackered and doesn’t make the same runs he used to.

Borner, Luongo, Fletcher

For me, this is the spine of the team - without one of them we struggle, without all of them we're really weak.

It's not just them, but how it affects the others around them.

Luongo allows Bannan to play well. He's a great signing.

Borner gets the best out of the other central defender. He's the talker, the winner.

Fletcher allows others to flourish - and of course scores goals.

• Thanks 1

It’s not sexy football - but sexy football didn’t get us this far either. 

This league is quite ordinary - and that’s what we are too. 

Monk is OK for this league, but by no means a genius. 

Re decision making: Look at the first goal yesterday, all the players fault.