South Stand Rules

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

25 minutes ago, REDAs_biG_piECE said:

Again I simply wish to know the rules

is swearing a contravention of the rules in the South Stand (not grandstand) at Hillsborough 

anyone?

Swearing is allowed 

This isnt 

Image result for spitting out false teeth gif

2 hours ago, REDAs_biG_piECE said:

Can any of the resident Owlstalk experts please confirm the stadium rules applicable to the South Stand during a game

My mate was approached in the second half (during the attempted assassination on Liam Palmer that lead to him having to limp off the pitch) by an official saying he’d been reported (by a werthers sucking coffin dodger) for swearing and any more he’d be evicted from the ground

A. Is swearing an actual break of the south stand rules if so which rule number?

B. How could a steward possibly pick out one individual for swearing when 20,000 people were in unison in singing the referee was (indeed) a cheeky monkey?

Yours a confused but well meaning lifelong owl wanting to understand the apparent new rules 

Were you row MM? On the half way line? If so I think you were a couple of rows behind me. 

Although I get where you are coming from about swearing at matches, it is common knowledge that the south is mainly older supporters and foul language is a rarity. Some people just don’t want to hear it, and I don’t think it’s asking too much to show some restraint. At away games I swear like a sailor, but on the south I recognize that it would upset the people around me.  

Your friend was warned about it and yet persisted. When the steward returned and asked politely to tone it down your friend responded quite aggressively, even calling out the old geezer nearby for reporting it. 

All I’m saying is that maybe next time show a bit of consideration for those around. The South isn’t the North stand or the kop where fans are generally more vocal. We all just want to enjoy the game at the end of the day. 

Just my two cents. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

All I’m saying is that maybe next time show a bit of consideration for those around. The South isn’t the North stand or the kop where fans are generally more vocal. We all just want to enjoy  sleep through   the game at the end of the day. 

Just my two cents. 

corrected it mate 

• Haha 1

I have toned down my language since moving to the South but was a bit potty mouthed with the Hoillet challenge. People are too nice and it's no wonder the refs are like they are. Not given em enough grief

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I have toned down my language since moving to the South but was a bit potty mouthed with the Hoillet challenge. People are too nice and it's no wonder the refs are like they are. Not given em enough grief

I think the odd outburst is totally understandable. I’ve done it myself. The guy in questionq though was effing and jeffing about three times in the first half before being asked to tone it down. 

Just now, owls maniac said:

I think the odd outburst is totally understandable. I’ve done it myself. The guy in questionq though was effing and jeffing about three times in the first half before being asked to tone it down. 

Fair enough - 

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE
48 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Were you row MM? On the half way line? If so I think you were a couple of rows behind me. 

Although I get where you are coming from about swearing at matches, it is common knowledge that the south is mainly older supporters and foul language is a rarity. Some people just don’t want to hear it, and I don’t think it’s asking too much to show some restraint. At away games I swear like a sailor, but on the south I recognize that it would upset the people around me.  

Your friend was warned about it and yet persisted. When the steward returned and asked politely to tone it down your friend responded quite aggressively, even calling out the old geezer nearby for reporting it. 

All I’m saying is that maybe next time show a bit of consideration for those around. The South isn’t the North stand or the kop where fans are generally more vocal. We all just want to enjoy the game at the end of the day. 

Just my two cents. 

That’s fine and everyone is entitled to their opinion

Personally there isn’t a single word on this earth that would cause me a single bit of offence and certainly not that I’d rat on a fellow man and wednesdayite

Good though that you would never join in the resounding chorus of the ‘referees a cheeky monkey’ as would hate for you to suffer from double standard guilt...

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, Howards back said:

It’s a shame some people can’t speak without swearing. 

I fecking agree, some people can't form a fecking sentence without swearing every other fecking word.

56 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Just my two cents. 

fizz off 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, REDAs_biG_piECE said:

That’s fine and everyone is entitled to their opinion

Personally there isn’t a single word on this earth that would cause me a single bit of offence and certainly not that I’d rat on a fellow man and wednesdayite

Good though that you would never join in the resounding chorus of the ‘referees a cheeky monkey’ as would hate for you to suffer from double standard guilt...

I’m not easily offended either, but I am conscious of the fact that the people who sit around me aren’t vocal supporters. They are predominately quite old and probably sit on the south stand so that they aren’t in the way of those who do want to be more passionate/ outspoken. I don’t want to make them feel uncomfortable by persistently swearing.

And I would never chant that on the south stand, for the reasons given above.  

I've watched the Owls for seventy years, from all parts of the ground, spent 30 years underground andd can swear with  the best of 'men'.I sit in the South, and can make some noise when I think it necessary. I don't particularly object to people swearing as such. What does annoy me intensely is someone persistently using abusive language particularly in a loud voice.

I think you will find most South regulars will put up with, even join in occasionally, a moderate amount of swearing. BUT we don't care for it for a full 90 mins and at full voice.

Although I use some bad language, I often recall my old English teacher's words that people only swear because they don't know the proper language..

• Haha 1