What’s the point in playing Rhodes?

20 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

In the Tom Lees thread we have posters venting their frustration about corners not going into the box. The same frustrations apply in general to our lack of quality crosses into the box and is the reason Rhodes isn't as prolific as he has been in the past. He is, as been previously said a poacher and has always thrived on quality service.

Again, the lack of proper crosses going into the box is probably down to the trend of playing the wide player on their “wrong” wing.  I understand the tactic, but the lack of goals from the wide men, shows it doesn’t work for us. Neither Harris, nor Reach are prolific, and that is compounded by their lack of ability to deliver crosses with their weaker foot Its time they switched flanks, in my opinion

43 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Again, the lack of proper crosses going into the box is probably down to the trend of playing the wide player on their “wrong” wing.  I understand the tactic, but the lack of goals from the wide men, shows it doesn’t work for us. Neither Harris, nor Reach are prolific, and that is compounded by their lack of ability to deliver crosses with their weaker foot Its time they switched flanks, in my opinion

Tend to agree with you here

Against Cardiff Harris never seemed to be able to beat his man and get to the dead ball line. Why isn’t Monk seeing this and telling them to switch wings for 20 mins or so and see if they have any joy on the other side

On 29/12/2019 at 20:37, gurujuan said:

And yet we have two of the best passers in the division (Bannan and Luongo) in our midfield They can both spot a pass, but other than Forestieri, we don’t have a forward clever enough to make the runs As a result, we look to either, hit it long for Fletcher to scrap for, or to try and get it out wide, to wingers who operate on their weaker foot. Being on their wrong foot, they generally turn back, and loft it in with their stronger foot. It’s too limiting, but we have the midfielders to play a different way, but they need more movement ahead of them

Only issue with this i've seen, especially with Bannan are the majority of through balls are usually out wide .... rather than into a forward/Rhodes like position

On 29/12/2019 at 19:57, shandypants said:

Yes. Rhodes is barely going through the motions at present and has been the same for a long time with the odd exception. 

Rhodes is playing in front of Bannan - a player at the top of his game, a player with supreme vision and a player that creates chances with beautifully threaded passes yet Rhodes cannot even take advantage of that benefit. 

How many times do we see a threaded ball for a player to run on to ?

It's hardly happened in the last 5 years !

9 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Only issue with this i've seen, especially with Bannan are the majority of through balls are usually out wide .... rather than into a forward/Rhodes like position

That’s true, but the point I was trying to make was, who shows for the ball to be played there? Only Forestieri makes those sort of darting runs, and maybe Joao occasionally did We underuse Bannan in my opinion, he is capable of so much more than just looking for Fletcher’s head. We would see a different Bannan with better movement ahead of him. Hopefully this will be rectified in the January window, because we need to explore other attacking avenues

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s true, but the point I was trying to make was, who shows for the ball to be played there? Only Forestieri makes those sort of darting runs, and maybe Joao occasionally did We underuse Bannan in my opinion, he is capable of so much more than just looking for Fletcher’s head. We would see a different Bannan with better movement ahead of him. Hopefully this will be rectified in the January window, because we need to explore other attacking avenues

I think we would see a better Bannan if we could get him further up the pitch too. His coming deep for the ball tends to limit him to playing longer balls and "Hollywood passes". Hes got great feet and a quick brain, that being put to use on the edge of the opposition box is what we need. This role is what Hooper had to become for us when he played for us due to Bannan playing so deep in midfield. without Hooper coming deeper to get the ball, there was no link between midfield and the front men. Love Bannan as a player, just wish he could be further up the pitch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OwlinOldham said:

I think we would see a better Bannan if we could get him further up the pitch too. His coming deep for the ball tends to limit him to playing longer balls and "Hollywood passes". Hes got great feet and a quick brain, that being put to use on the edge of the opposition box is what we need. This role is what Hooper had to become for us when he played for us due to Bannan playing so deep in midfield. without Hooper coming deeper to get the ball, there was no link between midfield and the front men. Love Bannan as a player, just wish he could be further up the pitch. 

I agree, but that’s never going to happen all the while we play 4-4-2. In a two with Hutchinson, if Bannan played further up the pitch, there would be too much distance between the pair of them, and we’d be picked off through the middle If we want to play this system, we need two all action central midfielders, who both have the energy to get up and down the pitch. 

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I agree, but that’s never going to happen all the while we play 4-4-2. In a two with Hutchinson, if Bannan played further up the pitch, there would be too much distance between the pair of them, and we’d be picked off through the middle If we want to play this system, we need two all action central midfielders, who both have the energy to get up and down the pitch. 

100% agree with you there. Think both are great players but can only really work together effectively in a 5 man midfield with a box to box player in there too. I do think players like Rhodes and Winnall would prosper with a higher pressing midfield, we just dont have the players to do it. Defo would like to see a high energy box to box loan player come in inside the January window. 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 17:37, shandypants said:

He obviously didn’t have anything to do with Cardiff’s goals l but he contributed absolutely nothing when he came on. He had a 10/10 game when he got his hat-trick but what’s the point in playing someone that has one good game in 30?!!  

He’s over 6’ tall and built well but puts himself around like a schoolgirl. 

...and you can fvvck off if you say we don’t make chances for him because the ball went into the box enough for him to fashion at least half a chance. 

On 29/12/2019 at 17:47, 2roland2 said:

he’s had 30 mins in each of the last two poo house performances where no one can come out with any respect and you pick him to shout at rather than anyone else?

who do we play instead? it's not like he's keeping gerd muller out is he?

49 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Depends if you have fullbacks with pace and a good engine, because wgile he has been poor altely along with Iorfa we can push the whole back line up, closing space.

However when Palmer and Fox are your best options you cannot squeeze the play.

First season, Hunt's pace and Pudil's know how and Loovens positional sense allowed us to get the midfield further up the pitch.

I think Bruce was going down this route with Moses but although he has been decent in most of the games he has played, his decision making at times have resulted in mistakes which have been very costly.

28 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Depends if you have fullbacks with pace and a good engine, because wgile he has been poor altely along with Iorfa we can push the whole back line up, closing space.

First season, Hunt's pace and Pudil's know how and Loovens positional sense allowed us to get the midfield further up the pitch.

I think Bruce was going down this route with Moses but although he has been decent in most of the games he has played, his decision making at times have resulted in mistakes which have been very costly.

To be fair, i think Fox and Palmer have tried to get up when required, yet its usually to little or no effect when the ball is still stuck just in front of the CBs. This is another reason why id like to see Borner and Iorfa back together in the middle of defence. As good as Lees is, hes not a great footballer with the ball at his feet. With Borner and Iorfa, we at least have to CBs who are comfy passing and bringing the ball out of defence, which in turn pushes the whole team further forward. This makes players like Bannan and Hutch play further forward as well to link up with the forwards. Its a balancing act and me personally, id go back to what was working before Borner got injured. Lees hasn't been bad, but for me hes not been as good as Borner was pre his injury.  

Guest wilyfox
8 minutes ago, Half time Bovril said:

One of the most prolific stickers of the championship with 90+ goals before he came to us. Give him the service and he’s proved he’ll score.

That is such a dated view of how things work.

51 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

I can see the point you are making, but the fact that we play with two out and out wingers, almost demands that the full backs are more circumspect going forward In actually fact, both Palmer and Fox are starting to get forward a bit more, although their main job will always be closing the flanks Personally, and it’s only my opinion, I think playing two out and out wingers is a luxury we can’t afford

Just now, Half time Bovril said:

:wacko:No that’s silly they’re in there 60s so they wouldn’t.

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

On that basis, so will Terry Curran, Tommy Tynan and Gary Bannister.

:dry:

On 29/12/2019 at 11:37, shandypants said:

He obviously didn’t have anything to do with Cardiff’s goals l but he contributed absolutely nothing when he came on. He had a 10/10 game when he got his hat-trick but what’s the point in playing someone that has one good game in 30?!!  

He’s over 6’ tall and built well but puts himself around like a schoolgirl. 

...and you can fvvck off if you say we don’t make chances for him because the ball went into the box enough for him to fashion at least half a chance. 

SEE!?!

SEE!?!?

We wanted him gone just a couple of seasons ago!

I still believe we have some Owls on the take. 

Sad, and sickening, I agree, but I think we need looking into.

It's like that old joke about the pills that keep the elephants away.

When he's rubbish, then the manager, the officials, his team mates, our opponents, the weather, biorhythms, bullying by Gary Hooper (I'm not making that up), a bad curry, reading a sad book and all sorts are to blame.

When he scores (on average about once every three months), then it just proves how great he is.

You have to be a special kind of fanboy not to appreciate the large disparity of available evidence.