What’s the point in playing Rhodes?

16 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

We don’t create chances full stop other than when we are allowed to deliver the ball into the penalty area from a set play. Wimbledon Mark 2 we are fast becoming (without the physical presence!)

We have little self belief and players are too scared it seems to run with the ball and take people on or even show for the ball. Our wide men in particular play too narrow and don’t seem to want the ball when we regain possession.

All too often it’s sideways and backwards. Stoke was a disaster. Any chance we got to break quickly we dilly dallied and let them regroup.

Contrast that with Stoke who benefited from our mistakes by moving the ball quickly. Their first goal resulting from this and likewise they should have had a second just before HT when Dawson saved frutiously with his legs as they broke.

From someone used to the free flowing football under Atkinson with attacking full backs and wingers - we just don’t gel as a team.

E10BFD1E-DA9B-4229-809C-83C4CCF1F86F.thumb.jpeg.3e81fcd68a78229844fe13590b86361f.jpeg

• Haha 1

You dont sign players like Rhodes and ask them to change the way they play to fit in your team. If you buy Rhodes its cos you play a certain way and are likely to get the best out of someone like him. Exactly what we have never done. 

We are basically a long ball team, missing our target man through injury and asking a fox in the box type to instead run around and win flick ons. His time here hasnt been good for us or him but hes not to blame for today or the stoke game. Us not having any idea than lumping up top and no plan B is the real issue. 

Just now, OwlinOldham said:

You dont sign players like Rhodes and ask them to change the way they play to fit in your team. If you buy Rhodes its cos you play a certain way and are likely to get the best out of someone like him. Exactly what we have never done. 

We are basically a long ball team, missing our target man through injury and asking a fox in the box type to instead run around and win flick ons. His time here hasnt been good for us or him but hes not to blame for today or the stoke game. Us not having any idea than lumping up top and no plan B is the real issue. 

Sorry mate but that’s just apologist bull5h1t. 

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, shandypants said:

He obviously didn’t have anything to do with Cardiff’s goals l but he contributed absolutely nothing when he came on. He had a 10/10 game when he got his hat-trick but what’s the point in playing someone that has one good game in 30?!!  

He’s over 6’ tall and built well but puts himself around like a schoolgirl. 

...and you can fvvck off if you say we don’t make chances for him because the ball went into the box enough for him to fashion at least half a chance. 

He's no worse than Nuihu or Winnall, all of them benefit by playing alongside a better player, Fletcher; shows how much we miss him. One of the main problems today was the wide players; Harris, Murphy and Reach were all a waste of space. Totally unfair to lay the blame at Rhodes door today. 

10 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Sorry mate but that’s just apologist bull5h1t. 

How so? Do you think any other forward like Rhodes style would prosper in our team and set up? The fact is we bought one of the most prolific championship strikers there is and expected him to play to our strengths and not his. 

We dont have an identity or a style of play other than the recently discovered long ball we play. You think Winnal or Nando will score many in this team or style of play? Truth is that any striker whos not a target man or stupidly fast will struggle in our team right now. 

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

He obviously didn’t have anything to do with Cardiff’s goals l but he contributed absolutely nothing when he came on. He had a 10/10 game when he got his hat-trick but what’s the point in playing someone that has one good game in 30?!!  

He’s over 6’ tall and built well but puts himself around like a schoolgirl. 

...and you can fvvck off if you say we don’t make chances for him because the ball went into the box enough for him to fashion at least half a chance. 

It’s taken 3 years for you to ask this question? FFS

Why did we keep playing Fletcher this season, or Nuhiu last season? Fletcher went quite a few games before he started scoring in open play, but his confidence and the general imrovement in his play just grew and grew. As did Nuhiu's when he scored his 11 goals in half a season. Rhodes is no different in that respect, but he has never had a good run of starting games. If we started with a different striker every game we would be in real trouble and if we had a 20 goal a season striker we would surely be playing him wouldn't we? Well Rhodes is the nearest thing we have to a 20 goal a season striker and his conversion rate will only improve the more he plays.

How come Winall and Rhodes have scored less goals per game since they came to us? Maybe its because we have had so many strikers and so many managers trying to find the best  combination that neither of them have been given a proper run of 10 games or more to show what they are capable of.  

3 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Rhodes is no different in that respect, but he has never had a good run of starting games.

When he first arrived at the club, he played in all of the next 20 games, starting 16 of them. This show of faith to the man who "guarantees goals" TM brought a paltry return of 3 goals. Much the same kind of return from him ever since when he has been an afterthought or desperation measure. Meanwhile, every one of the other SEVEN forwards we've had during that time have all done better with the same kind of circumstances despite collectively being tagged with labels such as 'donkey', 'past it', 'lightweight', 'inconsistent', 'selfish', 'pub player', 'injury prone' etc.

I wonder how long we can keep up this insistence that a goal machine is just waiting to erupt after 65 (or thereabouts) almost exclusively hapless performances? Surely no player in our history has been offered so much patience, such imaginary fantasies and so many excuses.

39 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

probabaly get some grief for this but I don’t get the love in for Luongo. I think he’s a decent player, certainly much better than joey but one of the best passes of the ball in the division? Nah. Like I said it was decent but of business but I just checked the same passing stats site as I did for bannan, and this season I was surprised to see it was above bannan and reach but his previous seasons were very inconsistent and I don’t think bannan and reach are having anywhere near the usual standard season they have. . I think a lot of luongos passing seems to be short balls I. The middle for bannan and the wingers to take on,  I was surprised that Harris passing accuracy is higher than them all. 

Fair play to Harris. He is strong on the ball and rarely fails to find a man.

On 29/12/2019 at 18:04, davey_wells said:

I genuinely think the Rhodes goals at Forest were due to some kind of wierd freak time-loop passing through Nottingham.

Everything he's done for us before or since has been so poor.

Check him out in the training/warm ups though... he's like a bloody machine hitting the back of the net. 

Wierd.  Needs moving out fast, he's taking up the space in the squad of a youngster who would be so much more effective.

He takes up too much energy on here. 

Pleased he got his hatrick, but I’ll be delighted if he moves on in January. 

Doubt it will happen due to his wages.

Happy new year.

4 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

cant speak for everyone but I think it’s we do t play to his strengths enough, we know what he was and is , a poacher, he was never any different never will be.

the likes of nuhiu for example isn’t getting off lightly because we are play8ng t9 his strengths. He’s got to be the biggest striker in our league? We play long balls and he jumps downwards. He can’t control the ball and he hardly scores. 

if we start playing rhodes and fletcher and getting 10/15 good crosses per game in and he still doesn’t do it then fair play.

its a shame fletcher got injured I think his confidence would have peaked if he had carried on a run of games with him. 

We seemed to get the ball in the box often enough against Cardiff, he's not anticipating the ball as he used to, has little fight or strength.  

Not good enough for the standard we require.

You could use the same argument about any of our strikers.

This season, guess how many goals our current strikers have scored when Fletcher wasn’t on the field?

Answer - ONE

Nuhiu’s diving header last gasp v Fulham.

So, whilst we are picking holes in Rhodes, let’s realise that none of Winnall, Nuhiu, Forestieri or Rhodes have been upto anything without Fletcher battering defences.

Lets see what Rhodes does when he has Mr Muscle back next to him. Their 4 goals in 90 minutes partnership warrants a bit of patience and optimism.

• Like 1

In the Tom Lees thread we have posters venting their frustration about corners not going into the box. The same frustrations apply in general to our lack of quality crosses into the box and is the reason Rhodes isn't as prolific as he has been in the past. He is, as been previously said a poacher and has always thrived on quality service.

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

He isn't as good as his lovers think, and he isn't as bad as his haters say.

Play to his strengths or get rid though. Waste of a wage if we don't play 2 up front and put in early balls to the box.

Probably right, with the added point, that the direction of the game has done him little favours. The demands on a striker today, are something Jordan Rhodes hasn’t been able to adapt to