BREAKING - Club Statement

42 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Can’t help thinking that going after the EFL publicly isn’t going to end well and the punishment could end up been bigger than we think. 

But on the other hand surely Chansiri must be confident of the right outcome to be going to all this trouble. 

Confident on the right outcome? DC has proved to be reckless and not very astute in the past.

He’s going through all this trouble as he has a whiff of promotion, not because we’re innocent, IMO.

Edited by FreshOwl

29 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

btw even if we make the prem now the likely hood of us ever winning a thing or doing very well are very very slim anyway. I just want our club run sensibly and I will follow us whatever division we are in even concord division 9. It seems some of our fans aren’t happy unless we are glory wrapped.  fizz that 

This makes me a little sad and angry in the same measure.  Have the likes of 'Allen' et al beaten some of our fanbase into a permanent state of submisiveness?  What is the point of even going to games if you think we are forever doomed to mediocrity.  Surely even rotherham fans dare to dream. 

2 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

This makes me a little sad and angry in the same measure.  Have the likes of 'Allen' et al beaten some of our fanbase into a permanent state of submisiveness?  What is the point of even going to games if you think we are forever doomed to mediocrity.  Surely even rotherham fans dare to dream. 

Correct

Ive fallen out with football because if you’re not in the Premier league you’re nobody

The game has been ruined beyond repair

But I still want Wednesday in the top flight because if we waltzed into there next season we’d be bigger than half of the premier clubs up there

Why the hell shouldn’t one of the country’s biggest clubs sit at the top table?
Im not a fan of chansiri but I’m on board if this is the way we’re going about it

phook the EFL

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Animis said:

Arbitration is a perfectly acceptable way forward, and indeed is part of the EFL governance process.

I think we've caught the EFL out in that we've started the process early on; before their decision on the misconduct charges are announced.

I like the fact we're challenging their initial decision; primarily because the EFL seem to have gone along with DC's plan from July to the Autumn. The key to all this is the additional documents - what are they; what do the say and when did the EFL receive them. They have to be very incriminating for these charges to stick IMO, and if they are beyond any doubt, we'd have to accept the penalties.

Until then, we have to use all mechanisms available to us to ensure fair process is applied.

It’s as simple as that for now. 

There is due process available to us and we are just exercising our right to follow that process. It’s not unusual for both sides of an argument to believe they’re in the right so the panel (both arbitration and then possibly FFP) will rule. We don’t know what the content of the various documents is and will just have to wait and see. Following the accepted process won’t make things worse. It may make things much better.

For now, who knows. 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

Can’t help thinking that going after the EFL publicly isn’t going to end well and the punishment could end up been bigger than we think. 

But on the other hand surely Chansiri must be confident of the right outcome to be going to all this trouble. 

Get it all out in the open, the EFL for too long have made decisions behind closed doors. About time they acted like a business just like their clubs are and not an old boys club.

59 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

The media will though, and if the media get behind the EFL clubs against the inept governing body then, it puts pressure on the EFL.

Even though they don't say if publicaly, I bet a lot of the other championship clubs are behind us because they are sick of the EFL their FFP rules. 

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Even though they don't say if publicaly, I bet a lot of the other championship clubs are behind us because they are sick of the EFL their FFP rules. 

Lots of championship clubs will be looking at this very closely because some of them will be next in the firing line

phook the EFL

Edited by horny owl
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Tbf, it was the clubs who voted in those rules. 

Just now, 2roland2 said:

where did I say I didn’t want success? Your just picking bits to suit, do I want success at the expense of flipping up our club, do I fizz, we nearly lost it because of our owner just a few short years ago, and I would watch us wherever we are. As for weak mentality absolutely not I actually think it’s weaker to just go along with the crowd, for me that’s weak as fizz, I wil always stand by my club whatever division we are in, a lot of fans won’t do that because football fans are fickle as fizz in the main

Ha. 

I'd love to meet all these glory supporting Wednesday fans who will ditch the club if we are in the lower divisions. 

Doubt there are too many of them. 

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

I was around from the very early days Megson Snr, Swan etc and the fans were always up in arms that we had no ambition and were a selling club.

This was actually correct and we watched while  Man Utd, LFC (who were never previously a power house prior to this) grew in stature while we ( who were competitive around 1961, 2nd only to Spurs) fell into mediocrity because of a lack of ambition.

We had a brief fling in the early 90s but in real terms played at it (relatively), & then completely bottled it with poor managers etc. We were financed in the old ‘commitee’ way with limited actual genuine resources.

We now have an owner who seems very genuine in his intent, has put his money where his mouth is but made numerous bad calls along the way whilst learning ‘on the job’.

I would assume he has learnt from his mistakes as seen by some of the recent activity.

The reaction of a large proportion of the fan base ( or maybe just the ones on here)???

To withdraw into our shell & go back to being the selling, no ambition club we have been in recent times.

Brentford for God’s sake, fuc**n Brentford were even touted as the example to follow which about sums up some people’s ambition.

Meanwhile, clubs who ‘went for it’ Leicester, Wolves, etc, who showed ambition & stuck two fingers up to the authorities are now reaping the rewards. 

100%.

some would be better off at jokewell, they could buy a copy of the balance sheet instead of a matchday programme.

I think it's just a simple case of 'some' have little or no understanding of 'money' except through their own experiences.

if dc bought a bently, some would be saying 'why when there's a lovely skoda down the road for £1,000.'

it's a man living in a totally different world than the one occupied by more than 99+% of wednesday fans.

I don't have an issue with Chansiri throwing some money at it in the hope of getting promotion. For years we were crying out for an owner who would come in and bankroll a proper effort to get us back in the PL. Milan was a good owner, but he was there to build us up to a certain level and then sell us on. 

Unfortunately, the P and S rules dictate that Chansiri's approach was always going to be a success if we did in fact get promoted. 

As it is, we somewhat front loaded our efforts and we have been paying the consequences ever since. 

Personally, I think the rules are pretty daft, but they are what they are. 

Fingers crossed we had assurances from the EFL over the stadium sale and the charges leveled at us are illegal. We will see...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Doubt very highly that eufa would sanction a league formed on those terms,which would harm the league above it,namely the prem as it has to have functional promtion and releagation to comply,so the prem would veto under those terms

Amazing what happens when you chuck enough money to the right people.

11 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

so we owe him the money then exactly as I said. Ofc he wants it back because as you said he would be a moron not too. So here we are goin g around in circles with people saying we do t owe money when we CLEARLY do, it’s like pulling teeth on here 

I think you misunderstand. I didn't say he was a moron (for not wanting it back)

I said; tax implications meant a loan was the only option.

And who is this "we" that owe him the money?

He loaned himself £60m to buy the ground...no doubt when the 'new owner' doesn't pay the rent he will take himself to court and evict himself.

44 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

It's nothing to do with that from a personal point of view. I see little point being in a competition, you can't win. 

At that point it ceases to be a competition. I want to see Wednesday win, batter, distroy clubs not "compete" against these big clubs. 

In its current form, we are set up to fail, in a competition, that if we are honest, only views us as an afterthought. 

3 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

clubs like Everton, burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham, newcastle and loads more have been up there for years and are nowhere near, the only reason Man City are is the owner miracle. Take that away and it’s the same clubs dominating the top division pretty much for decades. 

I do understand that football fans have a blind mentality, I have mates who are barnsley fans, Leeds fans, Newcastle fans, West Brom fans and they all have your views. It’s called blind faith and hope 

What about leicester???? I would have thought from the way they are run that wolves would have every chance of challenging in the next few years and then theres united..

With respect roland we live on different planets.  If i get put down i get up and start punching. So what if the blokes a bruiser and puts me on my arse a few more times.  At least he will know hes been in a scrap....and i might just get that lucky punch in. You just seem consigned to watching your girlfriend go off with the bigger lads, happy to go back to playing on your xbox alone. 

7 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

fizz me people don’t half twist things on here...... I was Labour I g the point that most on here and certainly this topic are saying we should throw it al, at it and try and be a big prem side, im being realistic, as per my other post about the teams that haven’t managed that even with years some decades in the top flight. 
as for fans dropping if we drop down the league, that does and 100% will happen. 

Take a look for yourself 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._seasons

always a drop when we go down, why is that? Because fans are fickle and if things aren’t goi g well some don’t want to know. For me supporting Wednesday is supporting Wednesday hard times or good. If we are in the top division brilliant Ofc I would love that, but equally I will be there if we go down and down like what happened at Pompey. 

Are you really giving me a link to the Sheffield Wednesday Wikipedia page? 

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

What about leicester???? I would have thought from the way they are run that wolves would have every chance of challenging in the next few years and then theres united..

With respect roland we live on different planets.  If i get put down i get up and start punching. So what if the blokes a bruiser and puts me on my arse a few more times.  At least he will know hes been in a scrap....and i might just get that lucky punch in. You just seem consigned to watching your girlfriend go off with the bigger lads, happy to go back to playing on your xbox alone. 

So just out of interest your happy to be in the epl, get lucky now and again and think the odd patronising ruffle of the hair from the media is fine...

Screw that. 

I want to distroy the plastic idiots left right and centre. 

16 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

I think I have made it clear and in the past humpteen times, the point of me goi g to games Is it’s my team, we do t have to win cups or leagues or even be in the top leagues for me to support and watch us, like I said if I was after glory I wouldn’t be watching us ffs. 
I do t think it’s just our fans but football fans In General have a massive obsession in thinking they could be the best team ever. 

in my 43 years of watching us I have seen us have two seasons near the top end of the top division. And I imagine before that the 40 3 years prior were similar. 

I don’t get this we are a huge club testicles. Yeah we are a big club I. Terms of fan base, stadium etc and we have had some minor previous glory with the league cup win which by the way was flipping brilliant but do you honestly believe we are capable of getting to the prem and challenging? With all due respect Anyone who thinks that imo needs their bumps feeling. 

clubs like Everton, burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham, newcastle and loads more have been up there for years and are nowhere near, the only reason Man City are is the owner miracle. Take that away and it’s the same clubs dominating the top division pretty much for decades. 

I do understand that football fans have a blind mentality, I have mates who are barnsley fans, Leeds fans, Newcastle fans, West Brom fans and they all have your views. It’s called blind faith and hope 

I'm like you and I suspect many others in the sense that Wednesday are my team and I will watch them come what may - I was fortunate enough to start going regularly in the Atkinson era and they years that followed were fantastic to watch at times. I've also sat through the 2nd worst season in our entire history under Turner.

I don't expect success but don't begrudge those who dare to dream. I doubt Leicester fans expected to see their team winning the PL when they were in League One not too long ago, I'm sure Utd fans couldn't see their team being top half of the PL before the end of the decade when they were in the midst of 6 seasons in the 3rd division. The likes of Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton etc looking to become established PL teams. You never know what might happen. 

Which ever side of this argument you sit on, the one thing that is certain is that the championship cannot continue like it is. Its not a viable business. Half the clubs can throw Premier league failure money around like confetti, and the rest are destroying themselves trying to compete. 

The only way to stop this division self destructing is to stop the failure payments.